• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

WaveRunner Dive Shaft

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Long story short...friend used waverunner, sucked up rock and trashed impeller and wear ring.

2009 Yamaha FX SHO model

I've successfully removed and replaced the impeller and wear ring. Now at the final stages of re-assembly I cannot get the jet pump assembly a fully install (impeller shaft appears to be binding on the intermediate shaft...some how!!!)

Actions / Knows:
* The splines on the impeller shaft are mating up with the intermediate shaft
* Impeller shaft was cleaned, no burrs or damage to splines, and re-greased
* The last 0.5" - 1" of impeller shaft will not seat on the intermediate shaft (not caught on alignment pins)
* Ran an inspection scope through intermediate shaft...no visible damage or debris
* Rotated engine by hand (using big nut on back side of impeller), not binding rotationally - bind appears to be on longitudinal axis
* Had my wife help with installation, I rattled and giggled the impeller shaft from the intake grate and she was gett'in on it - still no luck
* After multiple attempts it binds in same location

1689706196488.png

Questions:
* Is it likely that the intermediate shaft got out of alignment during the "rock incident"?
* Do I just really need to get after it? Video's I've watched show that once the splines are aligned it goes in with ease.

I've posted on this forum as the jet pump units are near identical for the waverunners and jet boats.

Thanks in advance, any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did it come out easy?
You don't have so much grease in there that its causing it to stop, right?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had that problem 2 out of the 5 times I've pulled the impellers on the boat,

sitting at the back of the boat wondering what's not working correctly, it can't be this difficult,

after numerous attempts and sometimes some force (if I remember correctly) I get it reassembled,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had that problem 2 out of the 5 times I've pulled the impellers on the boat,

sitting at the back of the boat wondering what's not working correctly, it can't be this difficult,

after numerous attempts and sometimes some force (if I remember correctly) I get it reassembled,
Same....I had to tap a little with a hand sledge but ya gotta be careful :)

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There was factory adhesive between the impeller pump housing and the transom plate, after the adhesive gave way removed with ease.

Grease...on first attempt at reassembly l I did liberally coat the impeller shaft splines. When I ran the inspection camera through, didn't appear to be clogged with grease.

appreciate the input and ideas.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So ya'll gave it some love with a 5lb mallet...the engineer in me always struggled with the 5lb solution!!!

thanks again, I'll wack at it between conference calls this afternoon!!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Double check that you aren't getting hung up back at the pump somewhere then wack (lightly) away.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Move the intermediate bearing vibration dampener back and forth a bit so the splines slide back in, sometimes they get worn and have slight recesses in them that hang up when you reinstall it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Isn’t it ironic that with all the tech available the right tool for the job is a hammer?