• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Waverunner EX Sport vs Deluxe

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Hello, all! I am looking at getting my first PWC and am putting down a deposit tomorrow. Unfortunately they are in high demand so there isn’t much haggling or extra warranties, but I’m excited to get on the water regardless!

My question is your advice on to go the EX Sport vs Deluxe, the difference being the inclusion of Yamaha’s ride system. So basically, is Ride worth $1k? Every time I think I reach an answer, I think or read something else!

I know that this depends on each rider’s comfort and experience, so it’s hard to make that decision for someone else, but I am looking for any view points or advice. I’ve driven a lot of boats and feel comfortable on a jet ski, so I know I would be fine with just mechanical reverse, but I’m wondering about the conveniece and resale, docking/getting on off trailer/etc.

Any advice?
Thank yall!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, all! I am looking at getting my first PWC and am putting down a deposit tomorrow. Unfortunately they are in high demand so there isn’t much haggling or extra warranties, but I’m excited to get on the water regardless!

My question is your advice on to go the EX Sport vs Deluxe, the difference being the inclusion of Yamaha’s ride system. So basically, is Ride worth $1k? Every time I think I reach an answer, I think or read something else!

I know that this depends on each rider’s comfort and experience, so it’s hard to make that decision for someone else, but I am looking for any view points or advice. I’ve driven a lot of boats and feel comfortable on a jet ski, so I know I would be fine with just mechanical reverse, but I’m wondering about the conveniece and resale, docking/getting on off trailer/etc.

Any advice?
Thank yall!
Ride is worth every penny. Get the deluxe, or the EXR( more power and much lighter) in my opinion for a starter. Mechanical reverse has no neutral. With ride you just tap the left trigger and it goes into neutral
I have a FZS svho and a EX Deluxe
Now as far as resale, all the EX line will have a crappy resale value, because many will upgrade to a larger, faster ski. There is no dry storage on an EX at all. All of the storage areas get wet
It is still a fun ski

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Ride is worth every penny. Get the deluxe, or the EXR( more power and much lighter) in my opinion for a starter. Mechanical reverse has no neutral. With ride you just tap the left trigger and it goes into neutral
I have a FZS svho and a EX Deluxe
Now as far as resale, all the EX line will have a crappy resale value, because many will upgrade to a larger, faster ski. There is no dry storage on an EX at all. All of the storage areas get wet
It is still a fun ski
Thanks for the advice! I did look at the EXR; I had already mentally price blocked on the sport before I delved in the Ride, so $500 even more seems like I’m pushing it for 3mph more, but I will give it another look! I will also have my dry bags ready! :)

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get the ride sys, you will regret not getting it when you had the chance. Very useful in maneuvering around the dock and in tight areas. I have it on my GP1800 and I love it. Will be better for resale anyways when it’s time to upgrade.

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Get the ride sys, you will regret not getting it when you had the chance. Very useful in maneuvering around the dock and in tight areas. I have it on my GP1800 and I love it. Will be better for resale anyways when it’s time to upgrade.
Thank you!

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
I found a used 2015 Gp1800 with less than 10
Hours on it. It’s four hours away, and I’m nervous about not knowing a lot about these skis - and not being able to see it run in the winter. It is tempting though!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where is located ? Maybe I will buy for myself Lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Btw those ours are a bit too low for. 6 years old ski. I would be a bit concerned about the fuel and service done on that vessel

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Btw those ours are a bit too low for. 6 years old ski. I would be a bit concerned about the fuel and service done on that vessel
Hahaha. Nebraska. I know - and I try to ask questions and he’s just kind of vague. I think it sat at the dealership for a while. Said he rode it this summer though. That’s why I was hesitant about not really knowing what to look for once getting there, and I doubt he would de-winterize and hook up a line to run it for me.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a used 2015 Gp1800 with less than 10
Hours on it. It’s four hours away, and I’m nervous about not knowing a lot about these skis - and not being able to see it run in the winter. It is tempting though!
Better look into that better. GP1800 didn't come out untill 2017. Prior was the FZS and FZR

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
Better look into that better. GP1800 didn't come out untill 2017. Prior was the FZS and FZR
Yes! So that’s the other thing. It’s a ‘15 FX HO, but he keeps calling it that.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An fxho is the biggest ski with a non supercharged engine. A gp1800 is supercharged

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
An fxho is the biggest ski with a non supercharged engine. A gp1800 is supercharged
Got it. Thank you! It’s tempting to explore, but I think all things combined tell me to stay away.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An FX HO is a formidable machine. If the price is right I would consider it. Maybe you can offer the seller to pay him to for his trouble if you end up not buying it. I doubt it gets that guys more than 1 hour to rewinterize it. That being said we like our 2015 V1 that our next ski is going to be a blue VX delux. I would love a FXHO but the VX Delixe has all that we need and it is cheap enough where you write it off it shit fit the fence.

if your dealer gives You a killer deal for buying 2 deluxe I will be in for one and maybe a dual trailer too.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jrock8 have you seen the below review of the EXR?

so $500 even more seems like I’m pushing it for 3mph more
I would look at it from the lens of just a higher top end, but a more agile craft with a better hole shot. Also regarding your question on RIDE - I would image if you checked on insurance for the EX Sport vs say the Deluxe or EXR, you would most likely pay less for the PWC with RIDE as its a huge safety feature. Lastly, the EXR might be easier to sell when its time to part ways.

I personally haven’t experienced the EX line-up, but know that part of what I enjoy about my VX Cruiser HO is the ability control the PWC via RIDE as well as the hole shot and overall responsiveness/agility. Just my 2 cents.

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
An FX HO is a formidable machine. If the price is right I would consider it. Maybe you can offer the seller to pay him to for his trouble if you end up not buying it. I doubt it gets that guys more than 1 hour to rewinterize it. That being said we like our 2015 V1 that our next ski is going to be a blue VX delux. I would love a FXHO but the VX Delixe has all that we need and it is cheap enough where you write it off it shit fit the fence.

if your dealer gives You a killer deal for buying 2 deluxe I will be in for one and maybe a dual trailer too.
They aren't making any deals since they plan on being sold out by March for the 2021 run. But I would LOVE to have a VX deluxe! If you want to come up to Colorado though, let's try! :)

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
@Jrock8 have you seen the below review of the EXR?

I would look at it from the lens of just a higher top end, but a more agile craft with a better hole shot. Also regarding your question on RIDE - I would image if you checked on insurance for the EX Sport vs say the Deluxe or EXR, you would most likely pay less for the PWC with RIDE as its a huge safety feature. Lastly, the EXR might be easier to sell when its time to part ways.

I personally haven’t experienced the EX line-up, but know that part of what I enjoy about my VX Cruiser HO is the ability control the PWC via RIDE as well as the hole shot and overall responsiveness/agility. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the review! I will definitely consider it. The thing I probably didn't explain is that I was initially looking at Spark 3up or an EX Sport, so putting me right around that 8k mark. Jumping up to 9k for the deluxe was already a stretch from what I wanted to do, so I didn't even let myself strongly consider the EXR.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get it, generally most decisions have competing forces. Just wanted you to be aware of some additional considerations (insurance, resale) that sometimes are overlooked. Additionally, you’ll never be able to “bolt on” all of the EXR enhancements, since one major factor is the hull thats 10% lighter.

If you determine the Deluxe is at the top of your budget, you’ll certainly appreciate the RIDE functionality. Let us know what you decide and happy riding!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought an EXR last spring just as COVID kicked in. We put a lot of hours on it. It is a fun machine. The Ride feature is what sold me on it and it makes it so much easier maneuvering around the dock and getting it up on the lift.

Jrock8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
I bought an EXR last spring just as COVID kicked in. We put a lot of hours on it. It is a fun machine. The Ride feature is what sold me on it and it makes it so much easier maneuvering around the dock and getting it up on the lift.
The 2020 is sweet looking! Honestly if they kept the same color for 2021, I would have probably been sold on spending the extra - not that it's really that important and obviously the bigger draw is the lighter/quicker, but I think the 21 is ugly.