• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Waverunner Question.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So my 2013 FZS has been winterized since November 2013. I am going to put it in the water for the summer in a month and half or so. The battery has been on a battery tender the whole time. I know its a Yamaha so it should start right up. Does anyone have any suggestion on anything else I should do without getting too crazy technical on me ??

Also with this oil extractor, is there a way to pump the oil OUT of the unit or do I need to unscrew the top and pour it out ?
oil 2.jpg

Not familiar with that oil extractor I use an electric fuel pump from a jeep, but you do need to measure the exact amount of oil you remove so you replace what you took out. I always check it in the water after a oil change and level out the oil then. I would cover the oil filter with aluminum tape to prevent rust since they do rust at the crimp and several have failed, causing damage to engines. I coat every part of my engines with spray on white lithium grease and the hose clamps , I put never seize on my spark plug threads and silicon grease on my coil boots from DAY 1 so not to run in to issues there.

ABout the extractor thanks didn't notice... As far as my waverunner its been sitting a year and half winterized. Im thinking I should switch the spark plugs, change the fuel and do an oil change ??? I think that is about it...any other things ??

Oil change if you have 50 hours on it, fuel change would probably be very wise, inspect all hoses, clamps and cables, service the battery , plugs probably don't need changing unless they have 100 hours or more on them. Inspect the pump liner , be sure it is not rubbing on the impeller, those get high spots from corrosion under the stainless liner, when the pump is run all the time the high spots are worn down instantly but if it sits for a long time the bumps can get big enough to cause issues. That is more common from salt water use that fresh water.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC As far as the fuel, would it do any damage if I simply took the waverunner out the first day and burnt off the tank of fuel?? Or because it was sitting for a yr and a half the fuel is no longer is good ?

I would get rid of the fuel, it goes bad from sitting. It could cause more harm than what it costs to replace it, and the engine won't run worth a damn.

I may (so to speak) be in the same boat. What does one do with the bad fuel?

How old is it and did you add stabil? good question ! some place should have a chemical disposal facility. We have them here at the government land fill.

Re: the extractor... I believe that is the same one I have. It has a rubber stopper (like a cork) that you pull out, makes clean & reasonably accurate pouring possible with just a bit of care taken.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Purchasing a ski this weekend. Prior owner did not use last year and did not add any additive. Did add the previous year but only put on a few hours.
That should be a good time Gary!! Getting a ski, the fuel thing shouldn't be an issue to fix.

Last edited:
Deep 6 the fuel, also check the oil filter and be sure there is no visible rust on it as they do fail if the rust. probably a good thing to change the filter even if you do not change the oil since oil won't go bad sitting like fuel does

If you can't toss the fuel somewhere (a local mechanic or staff at the town dump might be able to point you in the right direction) and if it isn't completely nasty (lid left open, crud in tank) and not a large quantity, you could probably get away with tossing it into the car or truck with a topped up tank of gas. Not always a great choice - but better than the storm sewer!

Run it in your lawn mower...

Use the old gas to start camp fires. :woot:
That's what I was thinking. I might try to find a large glass jar and pour a little at a time Into it. Must say I am a bit curious about phase separation of ethanol fuel. Maybe I will see it, hopefully I won't, but if I do, I may learn something.

Happy skier. After siphoning as much fuel as I could get out (and it all looked good siphoning it), added seafoam and stabil to a new tank of fuel, took to the local lake and fired that bad boy up. Previous owner thought it ran just like new and was surprised it fired up great and ran well. 2008 yamaha vx deluxe. Hours: 40.9. Still need to change the oil and attention to detail when I get it home. @geiger41 I hope you had as much success as I did.

Last edited:
That extractor should suck fuel out nicely. Definitely get that old stuff out of there. Especially if it is E10. Try and use ethanol Free fuel if you can get it there....Especially if it sits a lot.

Back