• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet Slip - Cold Weather

LakeMeadePA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am new to the forum and have only had my 2006 SX210 for a few months so I apologize if this was already discussed, but I couldn't find anything addressing my question. So we are moving to Lake Meade in PA which is a private community with a lake. Unfortunately, they only allow 20' boats so I have to buy a 190/195. But my question is regarding wet slipping in cold weather. The lake has common dock slips that are available to any owners. They are first come, first serve at the beginning of the year. The process to reserve your slip is as follows:

- March 1st, the lake is open for boating
- You launch your boat and pull into any open slip
- Visit the main office and register your boat in the slip for the season (If you take the boat out of the slip for more than 7 days without notifying them, you can lose your slip)

In PA, we regularly get into the 20s at night. Any cold front that comes through that would go lower than 20s, I can pull it and park in my garage. So my question is, can I leave the boat in the water starting March without some form of additional protection? I also understand it would be best to take the boat out and clean the hull every 3-4 weeks when wet slipping? Anything else I should be aware of? Additional concerns?

Thanks!

Pretty crazy that you have to put your boat in the water in early March. That said, I’m not aware of anything you can to protect the engine when the boat is in the water. I don’t think I’d worry unless it gets well below freezing for several days. If it does, pull the boat like you said and and blow the water out by goosing the throttle a couple of times. That should be good enough imo.

In terms of cleaning, I wet slip from May until October and only clean the hull once a year. You could do it multiple times but it’s a lot of work and if your lake is like mine, it will have gunk on the hull within a couple of weeks.

Other thought (lots of posts about this issue on the forum) is to add a second bilge pump and/or a trickle charger to make sure you have a backup in case the bilge pump fails or the battery weakens.

I would think that you would be fine to leave the boat in the water even if it get's down to the 20's because it would get well above freezing during the daytime. There's enough water in the waterboxes that it would not freeze solid.
I would put a second bilge pump in connected straight to the battery(fused) if you plan on leaving the boat in the water and depending on the water, plan on pulling it out at least once a month to clean the hull unless you don't mind reduced speed, increased fuel consumption and dragging a carpet around the lake.

Pretty crazy that you have to put your boat in the water in early March. That said, I’m not aware of anything you can to protect the engine when the boat is in the water. I don’t think I’d worry unless it gets well below freezing for several days. If it does, pull the boat like you said and and blow the water out by goosing the throttle a couple of times. That should be good enough imo.

In terms of cleaning, I wet slip from May until October and only clean the hull once a year. You could do it multiple times but it’s a lot of work and if your lake is like mine, it will have gunk on the hull within a couple of weeks.

Other thought (lots of posts about this issue on the forum) is to add a second bilge pump and/or a trickle charger to make sure you have a backup in case the bilge pump fails or the battery weakens.

I have seen a couple people mention clamping off the intake hose to "blow out the water" while still in the water, but not sure if that would actually work.

Good to know on the cleaning.

I have seen some posts about a second bilge... need to look into it more, but definitely something to consider. Thanks!

I would think that you would be fine to leave the boat in the water even if it get's down to the 20's because it would get well above freezing during the daytime. There's enough water in the waterboxes that it would not freeze solid.
I would put a second bilge pump in connected straight to the battery(fused) if you plan on leaving the boat in the water and depending on the water, plan on pulling it out at least once a month to clean the hull unless you don't mind reduced speed, increased fuel consumption and dragging a carpet around the lake.

All good ideas, thanks

All good ideas, thanks

2nd bilge is a must in my view. My boat almost swamped from one weekend to the next because the battery died and the bilge stopped working. I won’t bore you with the details but after that I added a second bilge just in front of the transom, wired directly to the battery, with a fuse as @Babin Farms suggested.

When i wet slipped I never had an issue with a battery draining down but my boat didn't leak either. For reassurance I bought something similar to this, hooked it up and just hung it on the tower with a bungee.

I wet slip my boat in NY, and it stays in the water until beginning/middle of November. When it's going to be really cold for a couple days, I put a 60 watt lightbulb in the engine compartment...It puts off just enough heat to make sure nothing can freeze in there.

If you're going to wet slip, I suggest you install "tow valves" so that you can still flush your engines while in the water. And definitely add a second bilge pump with a float switch, just in case.

The lake I boat on is governed by the Army Corps of Engineers. At the marina, I have left my boat in the slip for part of the winter. I purchased an engine heater. It is designed to turn on at 40 degrees Fahrenheit when outside temps dip. Unfortunately, it wasn’t till after I purchased and use it that I was told it was prohibited at the docks (unless your boat is equipped with shore power.) I wonder if the 60 watt light bulb is acceptable. Certainly much cheaper. Only issue with either one is when storms knock out the power.

Back