• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet slip fresh water corrosion issues?

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
this is our second Yamaha and have not had this issue before. We wet slip on the IL river. I have noticed considerable corrosion to the jet pump housings and transom plate. Well, the dealer is now $3000.00 into replacing parts due to the corrosion. They can’t believe that we have never had our boat in salt water. Anyone else have an issue? Our 190 that we had for 3 seasons never had this issue and slipped in the same place. Unfortunately, the boat is an hour away so I do not have current pictures.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How are the anodes working? What do they look like? Galvanic corrosion is problematic around marinas with older shore power installations or people that let their cords hang in the water. Some really good info. If you look thru this site.
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Marine Survey 101.htm . And a couple of screen shots.
Screenshot_20180421-102148.png
Screenshot_20180421-102237.png

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And now dealer telling me one of the parts they need is back ordered.....W. T. F. Part#6S551315100 Duct Impeller

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a bummer. I am curious how bad it is. Did you get any pictures before taking to the dealer? Leaving a boat in the water can really surprise you with how fast things develop if conditions are right. I documented treatment of corrosion on my pumps a while back. It was also freshwater only; but I know it spent some time in the water with a previous owner. I can’t imagine the impeller duct is so bad you couldn’t clean up and keep using until new parts arrive.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/diy-steering-cable-replacement-pump-pulls-cone-lube-check.8059/

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do not have any pictures. They store the boat for the winter and winterized it which really makes me mad about this. If it needed to be done you would think they should have called me about it in october when i dropped the boat off.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Strange as I've stored my two Yamahas in a wet slip for the pst six seasons. I'd wonder if there was a good connection between your anodes and your ride plate and jet housing.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And we only boat in fresh. Never had an issue with our 190....

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
WOW, would never believe that is a fresh water boat. What do the anodes look like? Corroded/wasted or new. Looks like there is stray current at that marina from shore power or another boat.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah...that looks like something you'd find in salt water (and neglected for a long time at that).

I agree with @zipper as maybe there's some stray current there at the marina that chose to settle into your boat.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow. Just wow.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My old 242 (now @biffdotorg 's) had 11 hours on it when I bought it, and always wetslipped. The pumps looked pretty similar, although maybe not quite as bad. There's a thread buried in here somewhere of me tearing them down and having them blasted and painted again. It was definitely 100% certain only slipped in freshwater, at a small marina, on a small lake.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Stray current 100%. No if's, and's or but's about it. Electrolytic Corrosion. End of story.

Take readings from your slip and it will show easily. Fairly common issue (or at least it used to be) at marinas that don't pay attention to details or don't know what they are doing.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd be looking to see if I can find the source of that corrosion, and then have a little "chat" with them (with my repair bill in hand). I definitely wouldn't be putting my boat back in that slip until the source of that electricity is found.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@buckbuck not sure how to explain it. That’s the impeller duct I believe.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Just1more
So help me understand the story.
Is that from your boat?
How long did it take for them to go from new looking to that condition?
What condition are the anodes in?
Do you wet slip in a marina?
Do you have shore power going to your boat?
Thank you in advance for responding.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Just1more
So help me understand the story.
Is that from your boat?
How long did it take for them to go from new looking to that condition?
What condition are the anodes in?
Do you wet slip in a marina?
Do you have shore power going to your boat?
Thank you in advance for responding.
Yes those are some of the parts from my boat that are being replaced.
They are off an AR240 2015
Anodes are being replaced also
Yes we wet slip in a marina.
We actually slip on a dock with about 10 other boats and our area of the marina does not have electric on the dock. The rest of the marina has electric at their docks and we are slipped about 50-60 feet away from those docks.