• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet Sounds WS-420BT - Needed/Worth it for Non-Tower Aftermarket Stereo

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, as I wrap up my first major round of aftermarket JL Audio upgrades, I found myself wondering if I should consider adding the Wet Sounds WS-420BT or original-non BT eq to my setup. So far I only have an hour or two on the boat tweaking and tuning the setup I just installed (6 MX650's, 1 10" IB Sub, M800/8 amp) and its much better than I expected over the factory unit. I do find at 0 treble/0 bass / loudness off, 60hz on the coaxials, 50 on the sub to sound pretty good so far. However, the tweeters surprisingly are bright with the 650's and there's some lack of midbass in the cabin speakers I added, I believe because these speakers need more room behind them (in the mid-cockpit) to produce it.

With that, I've tuned it so far to my likely but I've always run a eq on all my car audio setups. So, I'm wondering if the WS-420 is going to let me really dial in the treble (highs) and maybe tune in some mid-bass (unless its just not possible because of the physical install and lack of depth the speakers). Don't get me wrong, this setup so far sounds 10x better than the factory setup and the 1 10" IB sub hits much harder than I also ever expected. I was planning on adding a remote knob for the single amp and I can already see I'll be adding more than likely a pair of transom speakers by summer time. At that point, I'm thinking I'd add a second JL remote knob and use it for "zone control".

And thus, how good is this unit for really dialing in the sounds via bass, mid-bass, mid, and treble? I'm not super concerned with the PA system or even zone-control at the moment but more so tuning what's already installed more than what I can do via the amp and head unit settings.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would start by adjusting the high and low pass frequencies. Bring the sub up to 120 and the full ranges limited to 80. To see what that does for you. Removing the low end bass from a full range lets it produce mid bass better. Using bass and treble adjustments after runing is not wrong. The predfined rock setting on many system adds quite a bit of mid bass. To each their own on listening preferences.

Open air environment like a boat will sound different than closed in like a car. If none of that helps enough an eq will help some.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try to see it in person in someone else's boat if you are in doubt. I know very little about installing and tuning stereo systems but central volume and zone control and the PA (afforded by the WS420) are the reasons I have one...
WS is also supposed to work as a line driver (?) but I would think in a set up like yours with great quality components it could make the sound worse before it would make it better.

I like the WS very much, the quality and accessibility of the knobs is not the greatest but it gives me a bit more control over what is going on with the sound.

--

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would start by adjusting the high and low pass frequencies. Bring the sub up to 120 and the full ranges limited to 80. To see what that does for you. Removing the low end bass from a full range lets it produce mid bass better. Using bass and treble adjustments after runing is not wrong. The predfined rock setting on many system adds quite a bit of mid bass. To each their own on listening preferences.

Open air environment like a boat will sound different than closed in like a car. If none of that helps enough an eq will help some.
Thanks @Mainah for the crossover tips. I was out for many hours today and did some tweaking again. I was quite surprised to see how much of a change in this system there was by changing the crossover points that much. While it did bring in the mid bass, changing the sub to 120 which is something I've never done before did drastically alter its sound and thus the sound of the overall system. I reverted back to 50hz for now which is probably boomier than most would expect from a 10" sub and dialed the 6.5's to 70hz for the time being. My wife actually liked it better at sub 50 / others 60 because of how ridiculously clear it is at all volumes even at full throttle. Still, it's somewhat bright there so I dialed to 50 / 70 and ran that for a while. Still not 100% there but I'll continue tweaking it slowly until I find my personal "sweet spot". I should of tried a mix of maybe sub 100 and fulls 70-80 and maybe +1/+2 on the treble to see if that gives me clear vocals + some improvement in mid-bass. Next time..

@swatski I think you just saved me $400ish for the time being =). I really can't complain a whole lot, its a massive upgrade to the stock setup. I can't even imagine what peoples boats sounds like with towers + another sub or even the 7.7s across the board.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In speaker resonpse Hz is the number of times a speaker moves in and out per second. While a full range may respond all the way down to 20hz it males it harder for it to respond to the other frequencies being sent. You do want some overlap in the frequency cutoffs too. 80-100 may be the sweet spot for you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Def get at least get to matching xover points, at 5o/70 you probably have created an dip at 60hz. The 6.5s aren't mid-bass monsters, and especially in the environment, anything under 80hz is stretching it IMO. I run both the sub and mids at 80hz. Plus, when at 150watts per speaker, anything under 80hz is going to really get them stinky.

IMO I find the WS-420BT to be a waste of money unless you want the mircophone. I can create three zones for about $20. Line drivers are useless in most scenarios. It has a 4band eq - which is one better than factory... and the points of them are pretty rough IMO. 100hz for sub? That is mid-bass territory not sub, 15,000 for highs? There are a ton of people out there that can't even hear up to 15k.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to update this thread. I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a refurb'd WS-420SQ (Non-Bluetooth).

I'd still like to be able to tune the system a little bit closer to my liking (if it's even possible with this unit still). In addition, the one thing I noticed and are NOT a fan on with an aftermarket stereo system and the Connext system (someone else had this issue, maybe @swatski ) was that once you reach upper volume on the Connext, the new amplifier sound jumps in big "stages" Meaning, every few % above say 80% on the Conntext the output is huge so its difficult to get the volume/sound exactly where I want it at times. Maybe there's some tuning to be done there with the gains on the amp but it's a very noticeable difference. Practical example would be you're cruising at 25-35mph and you want just a tad more volume. You're already at 80% Conntext volume so you turn it up a couple %. You can't get just a tad more, it's a huge jump if that makes sense.

Anyhow, I'm hoping with the analog master volume knob on the WS-420 I can have more granular control.

I've opted for the non-bluetooth version and here's my thoughts unless someone suggests otherwise. @Mainah pointed out in another thread via his testing on the Polk HU's the less-than-stellar bluetooth chipset quality. I could not find the Bluetooth standard that the Wetsound unit uses but I'm assuming its not 4.1 or newer. I also want to be able to control the volume quickly at the transom using the main HU there. Because the BT quality isn't going to be any noticeably different (again, I'm assuming here), then I'd keep my phone paired with the Connext, using the WS-420 for my master volume, the Polk HU in the transom for when we're behind the boat and call it a day. I have thought about using my iWatch to control the audio but I can see me not taking it out with me most of the time.

Worst case with the WS420-SQ is this (my thoughts):

1)The company I'm looking to buy it used from has a 60-day money back guarantee
2)If I wanted to pair with it, I could pick up the JL Audio BT module (which seems to have high praise) for $40 and connect it directly to the unit - It's advertised as using the BT 3.1 standard...
3)I sell the boat and buy another racecar =).

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Updated, again!

After talking to another marine audio shop, I've decided to wait to install the WS-420. I was given some additional tuning tips to try (why not, its free to continue to tweak) and if that still doesn't get me where I want to be I'll consider the next steps.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Updated, again!

After talking to another marine audio shop, I've decided to wait to install the WS-420. I was given some additional tuning tips to try (why not, its free to continue to tweak) and if that still doesn't get me where I want to be I'll consider the next steps.
I would deffinitely install the WS-420SQ! You won't regret it.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can these WS-420 get wet?
thinking of getting one of these.
I notice a few people mounted under dash with no enclosure.
When I wash my boat I hose that area down.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good question and you' d imagine so based on all those install pics. I can tell you that if they are IPX rated, they don't list it anywhere. I'm assuming there' s a cost associated with getting IPX 5 or 6 rated....

The only thing I can find is, "True Marine Build with conformal coated board ".

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I highly doubt it...
Those WS420s can be useful but their overall quality and finish is pretty poor, actually, the knobs are kind of rough etc. I have had mine in the rain and it still works, but it just does not look sealed/waterproof.

--

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hah! I doubt they can get wet. My WS-420BT resides in the storage compartment. My boat is trailered to the ramp every time I use it; hence, it resides at home...outdoors. Covered. The ws-420bt's case is already rusting out!! And its not even a yr old :/

The wetsounds amps dont seem to suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just bought the WS420
Looking for a clean way to run wires from the WS420 to my amps in the helm storage area
How you guys running your wires into the amp area?
Any photos?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought the WS420
Looking for a clean way to run wires from the WS420 to my amps in the helm storage area
How you guys running your wires into the amp area?
Any photos?
I bough some expensive RCAs on @Mainah advice - best move ever!
Guys - including @bigblank69, @Mainah, and @adrianp89 - big thank you for all the advice.
I cleaned up, tightened, and grounded the HU along with all three amps and WS420 to the common big wire direct to battery - no more hum! The hum is gone! I can even run my blowers - and still no hum!!!

Now, I'm not totally out of the woods, yet. Still have some very faint cracking/ticking noise - and it is generated/sensitive to RCAs connecting to my WS420.
Not bad, and I could live with that but given I know the source I'm inclined to try eliminate it. My system would then be AMAZING (for me).

So, those WS420 RCA cables go back under the helm - where I have a lot going on...
View attachment 80389

It is a short path (WS420 to Amps) but lots of potential interference - I don't know if I can avoid/re-route much, it's a cluster, small space. I also have to split the "cockpit" WS420 output into two amps that power 10 cabin/swim deck speakers (no amp bypass). So....

Are there RCA cables/connectors available that eliminate/reduce noise?

TIA!

--
Well... Success!!!

I finally got to it. So, after cleaning up the wires/common ground situation installing those Krystal KnuKonceptz RCAs made all the remaining hum/noise/crackling sounds DISAPPEAR!!!
View attachment 81023
View attachment 81022
The WS420 connections and under-the-helm interference must have been responsible for the noise.

What a relief... no noise, no hum!! Just great sound (or nothing).

My system would certainly not pass for a top tier, but with 10 Polk DBs (powered by two xc1410 clarions), tower ICON8s (powered with WS HT-2) and a powered Basslink subwoofer - all routed through the WS420 - I would consider it solid.

Sound quality is great, with no hum/noise no matter what other equipment is running (blowers, engine, ballast pumps etc.)
The system is loud, for in-boat listening becomes unbearably loud past about 50% volume (no distortion).

Me thinks this system is in my boat to stay!

Thanks @Mainah et al. for great advice here!

--

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One comment I would add about the location of the WS420 is: mind your knees!
The front plate has very sharp edges, if I did it again I would buy the case/box that's available.

EDIT:
Me, being NOT particularly lanky, I can tolerate the WS420 where I have it mounted:

But for anyone with long legs it could be a big boo-boo, in rough water. Just saying.

I have seen those WS420s mounted next to/below the throttles - flash - inside the coaming panel. My problem with that is - the WS420 dials are very small and I could barely see them without glasses there, so I need them a little closer to my face.

--

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski did you put 2 holes under dash, one for RCA's and one for power?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski did you put 2 holes under dash, one for RCA's and one for power?
Yes. I found a pic, not the best, but shows the power wire going into a hole in the coaming. This is before I switched to KnuKonceptz good RCAs.

EDIT:
speaker grill and towel are a reflection!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One of these boxes works great . Just flip it up side down so the cover lays open you can also mount your sub knob in there all under the dash by your left leg, some minor plastic fab will be needed . I had a similar one in my last boat with a cheap EQ in salt water it worked great over 12 years and still was perfect when sold some surface rust but this was amazing to tune the system in . Gearing up to mount this in the new boat with the WS eq may even introduce an electronic cross over to really dial in the crossover points.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski nice! That might be the route I go.
@Cambo I thought about using one of those boxes but felt they are to big and bulky
I don't foresee it getting wet beside when I am washing the boat. I store it with the cover and its indoors