• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

what adhesive to re-apply swim platform matt

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So, I noticed coming out of winter storage a corner of my platform swim mat/pad coming loose. yesterday, we noticed 2 sections were barely hanging on, so I pulled them off rather than see them fall off.

I plan to re-apply these, but hopefully better than Chaparral did originally. I will clean both the platform and the pads with acetone and then re-attach. Just trying to figure out what to use to attach. some thoughts...

DAP Gel Contact Cement - googled and saw some people on a mastercraft site used this. Anyone here have experience?

3M 4200 or 5200 marine adhesive/sealant - any opinions on one or the other ?

Some type of general Silicone Caulk/Adhesive. Just don't know if this is the best option. Might be the easiest, but easiest is not the goal.

Any other adhesive ideas?

(can not afford the sea-deck option at this time, so just want to repair what I got.)

swim pad off.jpeg

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think I would use a good quality contact cement. 5200 would work but it would be harder to apply. With contact cement you should be able to paint it on with a paint brush. Clean really well first with acetone. You put it on both the mat and the deck and let it dry and then apply. I would tape one half down and apply contact cement one half at a time. I am curious to see what you do and how it holds up. Good luck.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just found this on the interweb:
Tech 5 KEEL GUARD 3/16/2001 8:08:00 AM
Just wanted to help if I can, I was a field tech rep for 3M adhesives. Contact adhesives should not be used for the mat because they are neoprene based and do not have long term resistance to water and eventually will lift, like you might see with mats on trailers. The 5200 and epoxy will work but you will need some way of holding the mat down flat till they set completely. You can get an adhesive at an auto supply store called 3M 847 Rubber & Gasket adhesive. It's a brown, solvent type adhesive. Apply it to the gelcoat and the back of the mat in a smooth even coat with a brush or roller. Let both sides dry for about an hour or so. The use a heat gun to reactivate the adhesive and stick them together a small section at a time. This will prevent the solvent from being trapped and causing bubbles. Also, use a roller as you go along to apply good contact pressure. That should last as long as the mat. Good Luck. Mike

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I am interested in this as well. Some of my mats are coming up, so it is a matter of time before it all comes off.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
At some point you will likely want to remove those mats and install new ones. I would just be careful that whatever adhesive you use is something you can remove and not permanent.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had removed one of my small corner mats before I installed seadek, I reapplied it with plain old silicone. It worked well for about a year and it was easy to remove when I put my seadek on.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
SeaDek will sell you extra PSA to replace the old. But from what I have seen on the Chaparral boats, your problem is a common one and if you stick it down again it may happen again. In my opinion as a SeaDek designer I think the problem could be coming from one or more of these three potential causes. 1)the surface was not prepped well prior to installation. 2) Primer 94 was likely not used. 3) Chaparral designers didn't extend their mats beyond the factory non skid. We try to extend all our pads at least .250" beyond the factory non-skid. This way the pads adhere much better to the slick gelcoat.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So, I noticed coming out of winter storage a corner of my platform swim mat/pad coming loose. yesterday, we noticed 2 sections were barely hanging on, so I pulled them off rather than see them fall off.

I plan to re-apply these, but hopefully better than Chaparral did originally. I will clean both the platform and the pads with acetone and then re-attach. Just trying to figure out what to use to attach. some thoughts...

DAP Gel Contact Cement - googled and saw some people on a mastercraft site used this. Anyone here have experience?

3M 4200 or 5200 marine adhesive/sealant - any opinions on one or the other ?

Some type of general Silicone Caulk/Adhesive. Just don't know if this is the best option. Might be the easiest, but easiest is not the goal.

Any other adhesive ideas?

(can not afford the sea-deck option at this time, so just want to repair what I got.)

View attachment 57595
Bob,
What did you end up using to remove the old adhesive in order to reapply the existing mat? I am dealing with the same issue.
I read many posts of people having troubles removing the existing mat, mine is falling off in sheets and is still in one piece, but the sandy glue residue is a problem, both on the underside of the mat and the surface of the deck.
I may consider SeaDek, but feel I may have waited too long, missed the sale, and might not have enough time before spring.
Thanks.
Tom.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We recommend using super glue to tack corners that roll up. But from my experience the factory non skid on Chaparral boats is pretty agressive and the designers chose to fabricate the pads in such a way that they do not extend very far beyond the factory non skid. When you press down the edges of the mat during Installation the result over time is the edges want to spring up because they're essentially being wrapped around a small radius. If you try to simply reglue the pads this problem will probably happen again.

I personally designed our pad kits for the Chaparral Vortex boat line and tried to extend the mats out as far into the slick area surrounding the factory non skid as I could.

Also SeaDek is still on sale. 10% off now through end of month. I know that is not as good of a sale as during the middle of the off season but better than mid summer when we see another price increase.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We recommend using super glue to tack corners that roll up. But from my experience the factory non skid on Chaparral boats is pretty agressive and the designers chose to fabricate the pads in such a way that they do not extend very far beyond the factory non skid. When you press down the edges of the mat during Installation the result over time is the edges want to spring up because they're essentially being wrapped around a small radius. If you try to simply reglue the pads this problem will probably happen again.

I personally designed our pad kits for the Chaparral Vortex boat line and tried to extend the mats out as far into the slick area surrounding the factory non skid as I could.

Also SeaDek is still on sale. 10% off now through end of month. I know that is not as good of a sale as during the middle of the off season but better than mid summer when we see another price increase.
I have the '16 223 VR. All I have now is the four-piece rear swim deck and one pad on pass through. (5) pieces. If I were to replace everything, I would also add one piece for the top of the front ski locker and one more for the center rear bench seat (in the pass through) since we rarely use the cushion there (it has snaps now).
The carpet in the rest of the main cockpit is fine, for now.

How fast is turnaround and what would be the cost for these six pieces?
Do you have a link to the Chaparral offering?
Thanks much.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The kit for the swim platform in teak is $399.95 and the optional pads You're referring to are $39.95 each. You'll get 10% off your order if you order now through the end of the month.

Lead time is 2 weeks. For in stock colors. 4 weeks on special order colors.

Here's our offering: https://flic.kr/p/Y5TY1r

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The kit for the swim platform in teak is $399.95 and the optional pads You're referring to are $39.95 each. You'll get 10% off your order if you order now through the end of the month.

Lead time is 2 weeks. For in stock colors. 4 weeks on special order colors.

Here's our offering: https://flic.kr/p/Y5TY1r
I am on SeaDek website looking at colors. Are you referring to the "Brushed" and is it 2" or 4" teak? 6mm because 2-color? Do you stock Storm Grey with Black?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes we do. We can do 2inch or 4 inch teak. 2" is standard and 4 inch is more custom since it's not requested often. Sale discount applies to 2 inch teak.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since you need some special mats not listed on the site you'll need to email me so I can have one of our girls call you on Monday. Send to will@jetboatpilot.com

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Bob,
What did you end up using to remove the old adhesive in order to reapply the existing mat? I am dealing with the same issue.
I read many posts of people having troubles removing the existing mat, mine is falling off in sheets and is still in one piece, but the sandy glue residue is a problem, both on the underside of the mat and the surface of the deck.
I may consider SeaDek, but feel I may have waited too long, missed the sale, and might not have enough time before spring.
Thanks.
Tom.
Looks like your going the seadek route, which will be great. To answer the question though- I used acetone to clean the old glue off. Worked great. Then I used the dap contact cement to reapply. Ended up working great. Pad is down permanently now.

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Bob, Thanks for the reply. I tried some acetone, maybe it was old, but didn't seem to work and stunk. I also tried electrical de-greaser & Goo Gone, nothing appeared to cut it.

So, after looking at the existing mat, it looked dried out and I thought it might be a nice upgrade. With Wills help and still being able to accomplish this before spring, I thought why not.
Thank again.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X2 on some comments above....don't put anything too drastic on there or when you do have to replace them, it'll not be fun.

I'd also seriously thing about doing with some Sea Dek from Will. Since it looks like 1/2 of your mats are coming off, how long will it be before the rest do? Since you're going through the time and effort, I'd recommend replacing all of them back there and then you likely won't have to look at this project again for another 5-7 years.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Used 3M spray adhesive 90 today to reglue a seadek pad that came up today after 7 years. 30 seconds to spray on lightly to the back of the seadek, a few min for it to set in place. Looks pretty much like new. I clean it with spray on simple green, scrubbing with a plastic bristle deck brush, and wash off with a hose.