• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What anchors are you guys using?

Dieselmore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I promised my wife I would leave the boat alone.... Then I found Jetboaters.net! I may have to stretch the truth a little. haha...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Dieselmore , sounds like you will be taking the forgiveness over permission route. Good luck.

Back on track, regardless of the boat you have, if you plan to anchor near shore or beach consider getting a shore spike by slide anchor, the same company that makes box anchors. There less expensive alternatives out there but like the box anchor I have yet to find one that works better.

I just bought my second (large) one, not because I lost or broke the other one but because I wanted another to hold my waverunners and towables during camping weekends. Worth every penny, or roughly 8,000 pennies (plus shipping).

http://slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=DE4CBD22-A102-4723-8987-B60063F1BC4E

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$249 on sale from $299, Wow and I thought box anchors were expensive. If anyone is interested there is a small version of the shore spike that should fit in the clean out plug compartment, it costs around $65 for the galvanized version. The shore spikes are also available in stainless steel just like the box anchors are, not sure what they cost but I am sure they cost more.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The nice, shiny, stainless steel ones are $150... which is why I have the galvanized one. Lol

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fluke anchor, fits perfectly in the anchor locker, 5ft of chain, never let me down. Have another identical anchor for the back... You need two anchors for getting close to the shore.... Sandy bottoms... Gulf/Bay

Carlos M Sanchez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg Mantus 2 pounds ( for sx 190 is awesome ) better that anchor that came with the boat

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If anyone is looking for a box anchor I have an extra. I bought two with a plan to use one on the rear , but it's total over kill.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok I'm buying the small box anchor however how do you guys store these in your 19' boats?

Last edited:

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put mine under one of the front seats, in the bag that comes with the box anchor. I keep the stock anchor in the front locker

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do the same as Joe, I store it under the starboard bow seat. I don't put the anchor in the bag each and every time since I throw anchor quite a bit.

I just lay the dirty box anchor on top of the bag which is laying on the floor under the cusion.

The box anchor sticks like glue, but it a pain to deal with and when you bring the anchor in, it brings up 1/2 the lake sometimes!

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looked hard at the small box anchor, even went down to the Lake Havasu shop where they're made to see one first hand. That convinced me it was too heavy (20#) and too bulky for my boat. 20# anchor and 20# of lake bottom didn't sound fun to me. Went with the Mantus 8#, about $80. Sticks fast and stays stuck in just about any bottom type; lots of test videos out there. If you email them they will give you a coupon for 15% off.
ATTACH]55103[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure if somebody has already mentioned this but mantus anchors. We're at The Sandbar on Saturday with 15 knot winds to foot seas it looks like Amateur hour out there everyone's boat flying around all their BS anchors breaking loose not once that I have to move my front anchor best $130 you ever spend

HybridSS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Check out the Mantus anchor as well. Here is a video of Mantus VS box

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
the only problem I have with that video is the box anchor only requires a 1:2 scope so you would never pull at the angle the guy is pulling.

I'm not saying the mantus isn't better, just saying the box is better then that. I throw it out and it stick AND it only a 2:1 scope, so a lot less rope.

BUT, the box is a big PITA, so pick your poison, that's where the mantus should have the box beat.

I have two anchors, my front anchor is a digger anchor, which to me is the best anchor on the market. My rear anchor is the box anchor. I put the anchor in the back because it requires less rope and I back into the sandbars. I then throw the box anywhere and the back sticks.

here is the front anchor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RDLFTY/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795440402&pd_rd_wg=73uzv&pf_rd_r=4PKQ5MY3E08G0VBP7RNF&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B001RDLFTY&pd_rd_w=8VOc6&pf_rd_i=fluke+boat+anchor&pd_rd_r=XV3YQG963S1AM4FRZ0R1&ie=UTF8&qid=1493747850&sr=1

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out the Mantus anchor as well. Here is a video of Mantus VS box
I wouldn't put much stock in that video. For starters its made by Mantus so of course it's going to have bias but more importantly they are not doing a true apples to apples comparison of those anchors making the competitors look inferior. The box anchor does not require a large scope ratio to work successfully unlike the Mantus. As he demonstrates in the video when he was releasing the Mantus, if you have a short scope ratio then the Mantus will not hold and will pull right out. The box anchor is designed to work in a 2:1 scope. If you tried that with a Mantus I bet it will not hold. You need to have a long scope in order for the Mantus to "dig and bury" and perform the way it was designed.

I do the same @Michael Rasmussen. My danforth is up front and the box is in the back.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replicated that test at the beach the other weekend. If I threw my box anchor in the wet sand like that and pulled it at a similar angle, it did exactly what the video showed. But, last weekend it was holding two 24' Yamahas broadside to a 15 mph wind with gusts over 20.

I'm not a scientist, but field testing works for me. If I want to anchor a person tugging an anchor along the surf, the Mantus wins every time. If I want to anchor my boat in a mud bottom lake, the box works awesome.

All kidding aside, if I boated mostly in sand bottom waters, I would have a Mantus.

HybridSS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Michael you are right to point out deficiencies with the test. There are many factors that affect real world performance. I am sure the box is much better than the video test indicates, especially at higher angles and softer bottoms. But I will say the net is filled with demos of the Mantus...and they are all essentially the same. It really does seem to be a high performer.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fortress FX-7 with 10ft rode. Nice and light for the wife to throw and grabs and holds EVERY single time, even in 30mph winds it holds tight. It's worth every penny!