• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"What can possibly happen in 5 hours in the Bermuda Triangle..."

Swoosie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
...I said as I did a mental eye roll at my co-worker over lunch when she eyed me worriedly over her salad and said "are you SURE you want to do this?!!!"

Before I share this tale, a few caveats (I'm not an attorney but it gives texture to the story and some background into my personality). I also do not think my mental struggles during the crossing were any worse than anyone else's. In fact I think I probably faired better because I had no idea what to expect and I didn't have family or kids to worry about on the boat with me, just a crazy Greek Captain. Maybe I should have been more worried.

Caveats
  1. This is my first post on this forum so thank you for inviting and humoring me
  2. I have never EVER been on a jetboat in the ocean before much less partook in a crossing. The longest crossing I've ever done was to ride on a boat from Santa Barbara to Catalina Island (I don't count the one cruise I was on either)
  3. When I agreed to this crossing, I had met Claire twice and Betik once
  4. I was aware of Betik's inexperience
  5. I'm afraid of waves (which I shared with Betik after the trip of course)
  6. I'm not familiar with boating terminology so will most likely use the wrong terms in my post
I know this can sound like a confusing recipe for agreeing to a trip like this. So let me explain....no there is too much...let me sum up...

You know how when you're young, making friends seems easy? Most of my close friends are from high school. Personally, as I get older it's rare to make new friends where I feel a strong bond. I met such friends in the Jeffersons. The second time I met Claire, we sat across from each other and talked all through lunch. She felt like a sister to me. At one point we were sharing our travel adventures and all of a sudden she said "Hey! We're crossing to Bimini on a jetboat with the family, want to come?!!!" I didn't hesitate. I live my life as a collector of experiences and had a feeling in my gut this would be a doozie. Either that or my salad had gone bad. Regardless, I agreed immediately.

Fast forward to the time gap between the invite and the trip.

- I spoke with Betik about the modifications he was making to the boat and safety precautions. I nodded as if I understood what it all meant. Trim tabs?!! Doesn't everyone know what they are?!!! o_O

- He sent me a five (or was it six) page email detailing plans, backup plans and backup to backup plans. I tend to trust people who are that OCD.

- I went out with them on Lake Roberts to get my feet wet.

- I make bad jokes, especially if you understand them.

- I joked to my friends and family about disappearing into the Bermuda Triangle.

- I made a will (I really did. I texted it to a close family friend).

The Crossing

I felt no nervousness as I got up at 5am to be ready to push off by 6:30. It's hard to be nervous and sleep deprived at the same time so I was more in zombie mode. It started to drizzle and I was annoyed my hair was getting wet. We push off and the breeze felt amazing. There's an air of excitement, energy and anticipation as groups were called in the darkness among the twinkling lights of the boats, we were group 1.

Our group gathered at the mouth of the channel. I don't remember if it was still raining but I do remember it was a bit choppy as we waited for others to join. This was the first moment where a slight worry crossed my mind. We heard Bruce over the radio saying to push off so we did. The boat surged forward.....and the engine cut out.

Wait what?!!! My head whips around, my eyes huge (which in itself is quite a feat) and I stare at Betik.

He's bent over the steering wheel staring intently at the controls, trying to figure out what just happened. The engine roars back to life. I take a deep breath and settle back into my seat.

The engine cuts out a second time. My head whips around and my eyes bug x 2.

"We're dead in the water! We're dead in the water!" Betik yells into the radio.

Ummmm.....the warm fuzzies dissipate and the worry in my mind blossom but I stay put and process silently since there's nothing I can do. The engine roars back to life again, but the warm fuzzies stubbornly refuse to come back. I feel a bit queasy. I am officially very awake and focused now. Only 5 more hours to go...

Personal Thoughts

I won't go into a blow by blow account because I don't want to be banned from this forum for writing the most boring first post ever, so I'll highlight some items of "interest". These are both observations and lessons learned that I'm sure many of you seasoned Captains and Crew will shake your heads and go "ummmmm ayup":
  1. For a Greek, Betik was a calm cucumber and my first priority was to try to help keep him as calm as possible. For me, staying calm is the number one in any potentially difficult situation and its gotten me through some pretty sticky ones. Luckily, Betik and I have similar temperaments. There was mostly silence during the crossing except on as as needed communication basis either to each other or on the radio. The only time Betik broke was every time I tried to communicate my support by saying the word "good", we'd hit a particularly nasty wave that would jar our teeth. He finally looked at me intently and said "Please stop saying good". I used "awesome" after that. I also tried to lighten the mood by saying "Hey, look at it this way. You'll have an AMAZING story to tell....once we survive this!". He stared at me. He did not find that funny. M'kay.
  2. No matter how thirsty you think you'll be, DO NOT leave water bottles in the cup holders during a crossing. Think flying missiles. Less is more.
  3. Wear the life jacket. Or at least, don't leave them out even by tucking them under or behind the seats. They miraculously grow wings and will attempt a flight for freedom.
  4. Tag team. Take advantage of more than one set of eyes. Betik tried to steer and watch out for other boats at the same time. Every time he looked away from eyes forward we'd crash into a wave. It did not make me happy, it made me queasy. This was the one time I broke. "Eyes on the prize Betik, eyes on the prize!" I yelled at him. I will be his eyes to make sure we don't crash into or lose sight of the group.
  5. Being in a boat that is headed into dark clouds with thunder and lightening does not bode well.
  6. Don't joke about death. Ever.
I don't think I was seriously scared for my life or falling overboard at any point nor did I think we would be swamped (did I use this term correctly?!!!). I was more concerned with being stranded (engine failure) and how to get un-stranded. In hindsight, I realize this lack of fear (or lack of self preservation to some) was due more to my inexperience than anything else especially after hearing about the experience of others. But at the time, the main thought I had was whatever happens, we'll get through it. I had zero doubt.

In Conclusion

Would I do this crossing again? Yes
Would I do this crossing again with the Jeffersons? Yes
Do I have an amazing and crazy Bermuda Triangle story to tell? YES
Will I ever forget this trip? HELL TO THE NO!!!

I mean, at the end of the day what is life but a culmination of memorable adventures? So...thank you Betik. Without you, I would not have this to add to my repertoire of unforgettable stories to relive over and over and over.....

Thank You

A HUGE thank you to everyone on the trip for the work you put into planning this and your camaraderie.

One Last Thing

If you would like to read the "he said, she said" version of this account, you can access Betik's novella here:

Betik's Novella

p.s. I have no idea if I tagged people correctly. If there's an error, you'll know who to blame:

@Betik <------
@Bruce @MrMoose @Julian @BigAbe75 @swatski @Valerie @Bill D @kthrash @Amar Nanduri @Water Girl

THE END

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...I said as I did a mental eye roll at my co-worker over lunch when she eyed me worriedly over her salad and said "are you SURE you want to do this?!!!"

Before I share this tale, a few caveats (I'm not an attorney but it gives texture to the story and some background into my personality). I also do not think my mental struggles during the crossing were any worse than anyone else's. In fact I think I probably faired better because I had no idea what to expect and I didn't have family or kids to worry about on the boat with me, just a crazy Greek Captain. Maybe I should have been more worried.

Caveats
  1. This is my first post on this forum so thank you for inviting and humoring me
  2. I have never EVER been on a jetboat in the ocean before much less partook in a crossing. The longest crossing I've ever done was to ride on a boat from Santa Barbara to Catalina Island (I don't count the one cruise I was on either)
  3. When I agreed to this crossing, I had met Claire twice and Betik once
  4. I was aware of Betik's inexperience
  5. I'm afraid of waves (which I shared with Betik after the trip of course)
  6. I'm not familiar with boating terminology so will most likely use the wrong terms in my post
I know this can sound like a confusing recipe for agreeing to a trip like this. So let me explain....no there is too much...let me sum up...

You know how when you're young, making friends seems easy? Most of my close friends are from high school. Personally, as I get older it's rare to make new friends where I feel a strong bond. I met such friends in the Jeffersons. The second time I met Claire, we sat across from each other and talked all through lunch. She felt like a sister to me. At one point we were sharing our travel adventures and all of a sudden she said "Hey! We're crossing to Bimini on a jetboat with the family, want to come?!!!" I didn't hesitate. I live my life as a collector of experiences and had a feeling in my gut this would be a doozie. Either that or my salad had gone bad. Regardless, I agreed immediately.

Fast forward to the time gap between the invite and the trip.

- I spoke with Betik about the modifications he was making to the boat and safety precautions. I nodded as if I understood what it all meant. Trim tabs?!! Doesn't everyone know what they are?!!! o_O

- He sent me a five (or was it six) page email detailing plans, backup plans and backup to backup plans. I tend to trust people who are that OCD.

- I went out with them on Lake Roberts to get my feet wet.

- I make bad jokes, especially if you understand them.

- I joked to my friends and family about disappearing into the Bermuda Triangle.

- I made a will (I really did. I texted it to a close family friend).

The Crossing

I felt no nervousness as I got up at 5am to be ready to push off by 6:30. It's hard to be nervous and sleep deprived at the same time so I was more in zombie mode. It started to drizzle and I was annoyed my hair was getting wet. We push off and the breeze felt amazing. There's an air of excitement, energy and anticipation as groups were called in the darkness among the twinkling lights of the boats, we were group 1.

Our group gathered at the mouth of the channel. I don't remember if it was still raining but I do remember it was a bit choppy as we waited for others to join. This was the first moment where a slight worry crossed my mind. We heard Bruce over the radio saying to push off so we did. The boat surged forward.....and the engine cut out.

Wait what?!!! My head whips around, my eyes huge (which in itself is quite a feat) and I stare at Betik.

He's bent over the steering wheel staring intently at the controls, trying to figure out what just happened. The engine roars back to life. I take a deep breath and settle back into my seat.

The engine cuts out a second time. My head whips around and my eyes bug x 2.

"We're dead in the water! We're dead in the water!" Betik yells into the radio.

Ummmm.....the warm fuzzies dissipate and the worry in my mind blossom but I stay put and process silently since there's nothing I can do. The engine roars back to life again, but the warm fuzzies stubbornly refuse to come back. I feel a bit queasy. I am officially very awake and focused now.

Personal Thoughts

I won't go into a blow by blow account because I don't want to be banned from this forum for writing the most boring first post ever, so I'll highlight some items of "interest". These are both observations and lessons learned that I'm sure many of you seasoned Captains and Crew will shake your heads and go "ummmmm ayup":
  1. For a Greek, Betik was a calm cucumber and my first priority was to try to help keep him as calm as possible. For me, staying calm is the number one in any potentially difficult situation and its gotten me through some pretty sticky ones. Luckily, Betik and I have similar temperaments. There was mostly silence during the crossing except on as as needed communication basis either to each other or on the radio. The only time Betik broke was every time I tried to communicate my support by saying the word "good", we'd hit a particularly nasty wave that would jar our teeth. He finally looked at me intently and said "Please stop saying good". I used "awesome" after that. I also tried to lighten the mood by saying "Hey, look at it this way. You'll have an AMAZING story to tell....once we survive this!". He stared at me. He did not find that funny. Mkay.
  2. No matter how thirsty you think you'll be, DO NOT leave water bottles in the cup holders during a crossing. Think flying missiles. Less is more.
  3. Wear the life jacket. Or at least, don't leave them out even by tucking them under or behind the seats. They miraculously grow wings and will attempt a flight for freedom.
  4. Tag team. Take advantage of more than one set of eyes. Betik tried to steer and watch out for other boats at the same time. Every time he looked away from eyes forward we'd crash into a wave. It did not make me happy, it made me queasy. This was the one time I broke. "Eyes on the prize Betik, eyes on the prize!" I yelled at him. I will be his eyes to make sure we don't crash into or lose sight of the group.
  5. Being in a boat that is headed into dark clouds with thunder and lightening does not bode well.
  6. Don't joke about death. Ever.
I don't think I was seriously scared for my life or falling overboard at any point nor did I think we would be swamped (did I use this term correctly?!!!). I was more concerned with being stranded (engine failure) and how to get un-stranded. In hindsight, I realize this lack of fear (self preservation to some) was due more to my inexperience than anything else especially after hearing about the experience of others. But at the time, the main thought I had was whatever happens, we'll get through it. I had zero doubt.

In Conclusion

Would I do this crossing again? Yes
Would I do this crossing again with the Jeffersons? Yes
Do I have an amazing and crazy Bermuda Triangle story to tell? YES
Will I ever forget this trip? HELL TO THE NO!!!

I mean, at the end of the day what is life but a culmination of memorable adventures? So...thank you Betik. Without you, I would not have this to add to my repertoire of unforgettable stories to relive over and over and over.....

Thank You

A HUGE thank you to everyone on the trip for the work you put into planning this and your camaraderie.

One Last Thing

If you would like to read the "he said, she said" version of this account, you can access Betik's novella here:

Betik's Novella

p.s. I have no idea if I tagged people correctly. If there's an error, you'll know who to blame:

@Betik <------
@Bruce @MrMoose @Julian @BigAbe75 @swatski @Valerie @Bill D @kthrash @Amar Nanduri @Water Girl

THE END
ROTFL. I did not think it was possible to beat @Betik's account of the trip... Was I just proven wrong?

@Swoosie - BEST first post here - ever?

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great now I feel obligated to go back again.
Did you intentionally leave out the part about next year's week long s..... class ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski I would have agreed 100% with you if she had described how it felt to be become totally wet right from the start.......

there is one thing to get your feet wet in the lake and another one to be socked in the ocean, right!!!!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Swoosie, although the bar was set very high by @Betik's account, and one might think that it's not worth adding an alternate version, I am very glad that you took the time to share some of your perspective with us. I found it insightful and I really appreciate it.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for such a great first post.

... If you feel like sharing more details about the crossing, I'm sure that they will be well received.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The BEST 1st post I've ever read, on any topic, in any forum I've ever belonged to. I so thoroughly enjoyed the writing I had to read it a second time to my wife and kids after they kept asking what I was cracking up over! Well Done!!!:thumbsup:

Swoosie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Thank you! I won't begin to think I can compete with a 20 page narrative by @Betik but I do think my post has a few less grammatical errors. ;)

I did forget to share something I found humorous. It was when @Bruce indicated someone else needed to lead as he was having GPS issues. I'm taking liberties with the exact communication since I was a bit distracted at the time.

Bruce: "Having navigation issues, someone else take the lead" starts to turn the boat around

Betik: "Tell them we'll take the lead"

Me: looks skeptical "Excuse me? You want us to lead? But...."

Betik: "Yes, yes do it now tell them Blue Yonder will take the lead."

Me: still looking skeptical "But....are you suuuuure?!!!"

Betik: "Just do it...."

Me: sighs "This is Blue Yonder, we'll take the lead"

Silence on the radio

Bruce: "BETIK! WHERE ARE YOU TAKING US?!!!"

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Swoosie great story. I greatly enjoyed it and will share with the family.

"GPS issues" was short hand for the Bermuda Triangle just ate my glasses and I can't read the plotter with my sunglasses on!

Thank you and @Betik for taking point!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski Thank you! I won't begin to think I can compete with a 20 page narrative by @Betik but I do think my post has a few less grammatical errors. ;)

I did forget to share something I found humorous. It was when @Bruce indicated someone else needed to lead as he was having GPS issues. I'm taking liberties with the exact communication since I was a bit distracted at the time.

Bruce: "Having navigation issues, someone else take the lead" starts to turn the boat around

Betik: "Tell them we'll take the lead"

Me: looks skeptical "Excuse me? You want us to lead? But...."

Betik: "Yes, yes do it now tell them Blue Yonder will take the lead."

Me: still looking skeptical "But....are you suuuuure?!!!"

Betik: "Just do it...."

Me: sighs "This is Blue Yonder, we'll take the lead"

Silence on the radio

Bruce: "BETIK! WHERE ARE YOU TAKING US?!!!"
Too funny! Especially considering that you are bouncing all over the place during the radio exchange.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was surprised she left that out because that was the very first thing she told our group of local friends. " Betik got lost , Betik got lost" and the more effort I put into explaining why that was not the case, the more the stigma stuck.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Swoosie 's name should be changed to @Betik s+1. . . . . ; )

That was a long (enjoyable) 1st post. . . .welcome aboard.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@0627Devildog now that I think about it, after Bimini @Swoosie has spend more time on the boat than my wife has.

Swoosie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! I'll settle for being Betik's alternate +2. the +1 position is already taken by the wife. :D

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site @Swoosie thanks for the great writeup.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
that was great @Swoosie Welcome buddy!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Swoosie , nice recap! I guess Claire knew @Betik would have his hands full and you could handle the radio for him! Fun read, nice first post!