• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you guys think of the new Yamaha Jet Ski?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got an email from BoatTest.com where they tested one of these. https://boattest.com/boat/yamaha/jetblaster-2022
Not following jet skis much but the part that intrigued me most about this one is the trim switch.
Trimmable nozzles. Now that's something that could be useful on boats too IMO.
Trim has been on Yamaha Waverunners for as long or longer than the other brands. The thing I loved about the Yamaha quick shift trim systems was that it was manual. And you could adjust it whenever off power, even if only for a second. I'm assuming the new ones are powered like SeaDoo etc.

The old 3 position did little, but the 5 position on all of my GP1200/GP1200R and now GP1300r machines works well. But it's a combination of trim and moving your weight around.

On a GP1300R hull, trimming that nose up and moving your weight back will launch it straight up to the sky. I giggle at these rookies on the SeaDoo spark trixx, thinking they have something special. (they needed riser and foot rests for what we have done for years)

The first time I water tested the Yamaha GP1200 when it came out in 1997, the Yamaha rep told me to trim the nose all the way down, get it up to 60mph and turn. That sucker would dive like a submarine and take you down with it. It actually rolled the sleeves on my shorty wetsuit with the water pressure back in the day. I bought my first GP1200 that year! Loved that machine, till the 1200r came around.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Haaaa Yamaha has had trim on their skies for many years . The latest ones are electrically operated not impressed but the previous sets were cable operated and they were quite effective I had them on these skies

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In 2021 Yamaha added automatic trim control to their gp 1800s. It pushed the nose down at a start and trims upward once in plane. They call it launch and turn control. Most riders can accomplish the same thing manually but probably not as consistently. I think the big change from 2021 to 2022 is that the fx puts out less spary (is a drier ride) and some models offer a gps mapping option (enabled by purchasing an annual subscription from yamaha).

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it's smart for yamaha to try to copy the sparks success. But spark has done well because it's light, cheap, fun, and unintimidating. It's a great first ski, it's a great cheap ski, it's a great "I miss the old days" shi, it's a great rental ski... And it's inexpensive and tows behind just about anything.

BRP really grabbed the market hard with them, kinda surprised nobody has done exactly what they did with a cheap and light plastic hull and the most basic powerplant they can fit.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always learning something on this forum (the Admiral long ago said we can have a couple of jet skis OR a boat - NOT both, so I stopped paying attention to skis.)
Doesn't sound like my initial thought of an adaptation of this for boats would be as useful as I thought it would be, but still wondering why it's not a "thing" on any of the boats if it's so pervasive on skis (useful or otherwise).

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Always learning something on this forum (the Admiral long ago said we can have a couple of jet skis OR a boat - NOT both, so I stopped paying attention to skis.)
Doesn't sound like my initial thought of an adaptation of this for boats would be as useful as I thought it would be, but still wondering why it's not a "thing" on any of the boats if it's so pervasive on skis (useful or otherwise).
I'm not sure they can't do it, but I think it would be very useful even if only a little. As it just may be enough to keep the bow down at times, or just enough to trim it up to that sweet spot for a few extra mph.

But look at how folks freak out when their throttles are not synced, and imagine if they had individual trim controls. "my boats constantly turning slightly left and I don't know why"

I think Yamaha feels it would introduce a variable that may cause more support issues than good. JMHO