• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What GPS works best

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need to purchase a GPS system looking for at least depth finder GPS and Fishfinder I was looking at the Garmin 5 for CV I was told that's a good GPS system for the jet boats if anybody has any ideas or recommendations on GPS systems for jet boats please shoot me a message.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After a ton of research, in store CPU testing and Bass fishing on my buddies boat, I went with the Humminbird Helix 7 G2N with side imaging (must have for bass fishing!). I almost pulled the trigger on a dragonfly 7 which comes up with high ratings on many online guides/shootouts but couldn't get over how slow it was - mind you this was last year and I would hope they upgraded the processor. I think the price point won many points when evaluated by sites and this could be a factor for you.

My Helix 7 is still in the box and ready for a spring install - can't wait to slay some pigs!

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that also good for long distance GPS seeing depth finder and all that good stuff.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is that also good for long distance GPS seeing depth finder and all that good stuff.
It's running off a map load like every chart plotter and will chart itself should one not be available. It's the rate it reads the loaded maps and/or charts in conjunction with the GPS at mid/high speeds, was a big factor for me.

Sonarwars.com and fishfinders.info still doesn't have the G2N version reviewed yet for some reason. Big advancements over the previous model that had positive reviews.

What might narrow the field for you is whether you are using it more as a fish finder or a chartplotter/GPS unit. Warranty/support/brand will come into play and I'll be very honest, the last fish finder I officially owned was 30yrs ago and it was a Humminbird. It had a soft spot when I was on the hunt but I hammered it hard to be sure it was what I wanted, and was getting what I was paying for. I was completely sold when I was flying in my buddy's bass boat at 70mph and dropping lines on pigs in shoreline weed beds with side imaging. With that said...my ratio for research bias was 70% fish and 30% GPS/Chart as I'm landlocked for most of the boating season.

Enjoy the search - these are wonderful devices!

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know very little about different brands or details but I've been very happy with the map graphics and operation of my Garmin 741xs I installed in the dash of my 190FSH. I'm using a Airmar P71 in hull transducer. Seems to work well but I mistakenly installed it right behind the live well intake so it gets some interference while up to speed.