• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What GPS?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Not to sidetrack the convo, but... didn't know LTE was going away. When is this happening? 5G still sucks in terms of coverage.
I guess I’ll wait and see if the coverage becomes less. So far on the lake or anywhere I have traveled the cellular has been adequate. I also have a hotspot or Verizon mifi that I had purchased before my cellular tablet which is great when my xfinity goes out I still have TV and internet. I am overdue to get phone. So it will be a significant jump from what I use today.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It appears that all 3G service grinds to a halt this year, with the timing depending on the provider (means we have to replace all of our iPhones as they are 3G)

T-Mobile has announced they will be shutting down Sprint's 4G LTE in June. As I can't find information on Verizon and AT&T LTE plans, perhaps they are not changing?

Jim

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in your same boat...(pun intended) last year. I ended up flush mounting a simrad into my dash. I do not fish, so I didn't mount the transducer. My reasoning was based on the following:
1. Brightness. Max brightness on my simrad is 1200 nits. Some phones and tablets may reach 1200 nits, or 1000 nits max, but when they get hot, they dim the screen. Every time I use my phone out on the boat the screen will dim with the phone getting hot. I wanted something that would stay bright even in the heat.
2. Dedicated GPS maps. I boat off the Chesapeake Bay, Elizabeth and James rivers. I can cover a lot of territory and wanted to know water depths real time. Navionics on a tablet/phone will do this for you...however, see number 1.
3. Ease of use. Since this is flush mounted and hard wired, I don't have to do anything extra. Boat batteries get turned on, simrad comes on. Boat batteries go off, simrad goes off. No tablet or phone to remember, charge, etc.
4. Flush mount. I did not want a unit that I was unable to flush mount. I didn't want anything suction cupped or pedestal mounted next to the throttles. I wanted a cleaner look. I understand not wanting to drill holes, cut, etc. I don't know what boat you have, but I can tell you this was EASY. It looks almost factory.
IMG_7592.jpeg
IMG_7593.jpeg

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I was in your same boat...(pun intended) last year. I ended up flush mounting a simrad into my dash. I do not fish, so I didn't mount the transducer. My reasoning was based on the following:
1. Brightness. Max brightness on my simrad is 1200 nits. Some phones and tablets may reach 1200 nits, or 1000 nits max, but when they get hot, they dim the screen. Every time I use my phone out on the boat the screen will dim with the phone getting hot. I wanted something that would stay bright even in the heat.
2. Dedicated GPS maps. I boat off the Chesapeake Bay, Elizabeth and James rivers. I can cover a lot of territory and wanted to know water depths real time. Navionics on a tablet/phone will do this for you...however, see number 1.
3. Ease of use. Since this is flush mounted and hard wired, I don't have to do anything extra. Boat batteries get turned on, simrad comes on. Boat batteries go off, simrad goes off. No tablet or phone to remember, charge, etc.
4. Flush mount. I did not want a unit that I was unable to flush mount. I didn't want anything suction cupped or pedestal mounted next to the throttles. I wanted a cleaner look. I understand not wanting to drill holes, cut, etc. I don't know what boat you have, but I can tell you this was EASY. It looks almost factory.
View attachment 169655
View attachment 169656
Yes that does look professional grade install. And large enough to make out map features.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I got a used Garmic 63cv off a member on here for a hell of a deal. Installed it myself with a buddy and love it. Don't have to worry about messing with my phone or any of that jazz. Didn't want to get lost on the TN lakes I was not familiar with thay have 0 service. Now it's not flushed mounted, it's on a ram mount but I have no complaints

Attachments

Last edited:

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
View attachment 169655
View attachment 169656
I was thinking one of these... But I have no room to mount one.

ImHowl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post a photo of your dash. Maybe the forum can help brainstorm.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Give me the On Board GPS and Dont drill into the hull if you can help it for the Transducer. Wiring to the head unit goes up into the gravity drain in the wet locker and then tees off up through the holds to the dash. The onboard GPS is a boat saver for me. Our bay is so full of reefs that you need one eye on the GPS and one eye on where you are going. Maybe a tablet mounted unit with the paid app would work but this was a better solution for me. I can tilt the unit up so it's easy to stand and look forward and glance down. The most used accessory on my boat.

Transducer Installed.jpg

Garmin Head Unit on Dash.jpg

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Give me the On Board GPS and Dont drill into the hull if you can help it for the Transducer. Wiring to the head unit goes up into the gravity drain in the wet locker and then tees off up through the holds to the dash. The onboard GPS is a boat saver for me. Our bay is so full of reefs that you need one eye on the GPS and one eye on where you are going. Maybe a tablet mounted unit with the paid app would work but this was a better solution for me. I can tilt the unit up so it's easy to stand and look forward and glance down. The most used accessory on my boat.

View attachment 170161

View attachment 170162
Nice setup... I like the VHF too.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Posted this on another form, but figured I’d share it here for anyone looking for iPad mount ideas, 7876A944-DF57-49A6-B199-1BF7F9D88A2F.jpegEspecially with the bigger iPad:

9A784B80-8A0B-41DB-8193-514EEAA54083.jpeg
C77C3091-3E48-4289-BA4F-33F9045DE20F.jpeg