• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the difference between HO MR-1 and MR-1 engines besides 20hp

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just looked at the output stickers on my engines and the tag lists 104.5kw which translates to 140hp. I never did the conversion before because I thought the "HIGH OUTPUT" badges all over the boat and engine cover meant they were 160hp each. I am confused now. Did Yamaha put derated stickers on my engines and hatch or did some A**ho** put high output graphics and stickers on a regular MR-1 boat. Or is the 140hp considered high output by Yamaha. Any insight on this would be helpful. I peeled the AR230 "high output" graphic off the hull yesterday, but the engines' air filter cover says it is.20170415_144558.jpg 20170416_112005#1.jpg 20170416_112543.jpgP.S. top speed is 48.6 on GPS speedo

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce @Scottintexas Any information about 140hp being "high output" or is it derated like some high HP autos.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There were a number of CARB certified MR1 engines between 75 and 104.5 KW.

IMG_1265.PNG

IMG_1264.PNG IMG_1266.PNG

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
998 vs 1052 ccm?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce Thank you, feeling a bit of relief after reading thru your thread from Feb. 2016. I thought it had to be something like underrating, due to the published info on HO MR-1s that i have read both pre/post purchase. I was on a different thread earlier today about someone wanting to buy a 2006 ar230 and whether it had HO engines. I went to look at mine and saw the kw rating and did the conversion. I was confused as I thought we bought a 320hp boat. Again thank you and I apologize for tagging you on Easter sunday. Great stuff from you as always. David

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Thank you, feeling a bit of relief after reading thru your thread from Feb. 2016. I thought it had to be something like underrating, due to the published info on HO MR-1s that i have read both pre/post purchase. I was on a different thread earlier today about someone wanting to buy a 2006 ar230 and whether it had HO engines. I went to look at mine and saw the kw rating and did the conversion. I was confused as I thought we bought a 320hp boat. Again thank you and I apologize for tagging you on Easter sunday. Great stuff from you as always. David
With that color label on the engine cover and doing 48+mph, you definitely have the HOs!

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man the information gleaned from this site is phenomenal. I keep coming back because of the expertise that is evident in your responses. Well Done. You took a big weight off my shoulders yesterday, as for an hour or two I thought I was scammed. @Bruce Your Data base and command of these boats is top notch, I cannot thank you enough. @swatski Your attention to detail in your mods and write-ups, make you outstanding in your field or river. Pun intended. Well done gentlemen, keep it up.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suspect they have a standard block with the right configuration of other components and ECU code makes 140hp and with another configuration makes 160hp. When the block is manufactured in japan they label it as the standard configuration and slap a sticker stating that rating along with another sticker to stick in the hatch. then when it gets installed the additional tweaks needed to make it a 160hp motor are done. Intake, exhaust, ECU programming ..ETC.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ho version has 100 more mL. Probably due to a longer stroke, but I'm guessing.