• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is the little hex screw next to the fuel cap?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Noko Desert Storm was just before my time, but I have received many a topoff on my way to bad guy land thanks to the KC-10! On behalf of small fuel tanked, high burn rate fighter guys everywhere, I say thank you!!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Noko Desert Storm was just before my time, but I have received many a topoff on my way to bad guy land thanks to the KC-10! On behalf of small fuel tanked, high burn rate fighter guys everywhere, I say thank you!!
Thanks. I enjoyed my Air Force career. Lots of great guys and a lot of fun. Saw a lot of cool stuff. Thank s for your service as well. .

Rich T.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's funny that you guys bring up Top Gun, because I fully intend on naming my boat Ghostrider. I figure jet airplane, jet boat, it makes perfect sense. I think most people won't get it, but the ones who do will think it's awesome.
Or if you're gonna really go fast, call it Below the Hard Deck.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ghostrider is the Squadron's call sign in Top Gun. They are all Ghostrider XXX (some number). I do not know if this is the standard in the Navy.

In the Air Force, your call sign is one of a 'bank' of call signs assigned to your squadron. I have had Sting, Mojo, Chevy, Lynx, and Madcat assigned to me in my flying career. I have flown with a lot more but didn't 'own' them temporarily. Usually you have to buy your call sign at an auction which is really just a drunk fundraiser for the squadron. The cheapest dude in the squadron gets the WORST call sign available. In the AOR you get call sign assigned by the daily ATO (Air Tasking Order) 'Battle Plan' and the same goes for exercises. Usually your squadron will take a handful of your call signs along with for use in these locations. The Squadron CC, DO, and Weapons Officers call signs always seem to travel with us.

I have never flown an AF jet that was referred to by its 'official name' except the T-37 Tweet. The F-16 is the Viper (not Fighting Falcon) and the T-38 is the 38 or White Rocket (never the Talon).
Other examples are...
B-1 Bone (not Lancer)
B-2 Stealth Bomber (not Spirit)
A-10 Warthog or Hog (not Thunderbolt II)
F-15E Mudhen (occasionally Strike Eagle)
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter or JSF (not Lightning II)

The exceptions...
F-15 Eagle
F-22 Raptor
Pure Air-to-air guys are too cool to have a catchy nickname - prima donnas!!
My nephew is flying F-16s stationed over in Japan - chasing the Russians and Chinese. Couldn't be more proud of him. Worried about the whole Taiwan thing though.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My nephew is flying F-16s stationed over in Japan - chasing the Russians and Chinese. Couldn't be more proud of him. Worried about the whole Taiwan thing though.
That’s great! Misawa is a cool location especially in the summer. He’ll enjoy it for sure. I spent over a year in that corner of the world and it has always been a bit unstable.