• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What is this?

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To the outside of each jet is a hole in the fiberglass, with a plastic ring around it. Inside the hole I found a sealant that had come loose on each side. What is the purpose of this? Terrible picture as it difficult place to take a photo.

IMG_8428.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's extra sealant that gets squeezed out when the exhaust thru-hull is tightened. Just pull it out and toss it.... Totally normal.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
X2 on what Murf said. It's just excess sealant.

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's extra sealant that gets squeezed out when the exhaust thru-hull is tightened. Just pull it out and toss it.... Totally normal.
That hole is where the engine exhausts?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
x3, check out this video from the FAQ to see how the cooling water and exhaust work,

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Funny you said that chrome tip comment, actually on the P W C s they put rubber flaps over the opening where the pump sits, these rubber flaps cut down the exhaust noises when the hull is on plane , some of the people here trying to quite down their boats may want to take a look at the brackets and flaps used on the skies and try it on their boats . I have no doubt it would be simple to fabricate. If you look at 35 and 36 plus the related brackets you can see the parts that I am referencing http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/5547798987a8660fa85af569/jet-unit-4

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny you said that chrome tip comment, actually on the P W C s they put rubber flaps over the opening where the pump sits, these rubber flaps cut down the exhaust noises when the hull is on plane , some of the people here trying to quite down their boats may want to take a look at the brackets and flaps used on the skies and try it on their boats . I have no doubt it would be simple to fabricate. If you look at 35 and 36 plus the related brackets you can see the parts that I am referencing http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/5547798987a8660fa85af569/jet-unit-4
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC That is a great tip. If these (35, 36) parts were available or could be fabricated for our boat pumps - I want them bad.

I have no experience in fabrication of such parts, but would appreciate any suggestions very much. Now that I think of it, this could be huge in the overall noise reduction scheme.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I know my 2010 S H O had them and my 2014 F X H O cruisers have them so I guess they have been doing it for a while now as for fabricating them I think checking patents would be in order first I have no idea if they are patented and if you ever read what is printed right on the front of a patent it prohibits you from importing offering for sale or even "USING" a patented item.
I do not recall seeing these baffels on other p w c s

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No intention to infringe on any patents. I thought you meant fabricating some kind of gasket/seal to insulate the pump from the hull to reduce vibration.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
no this is a rubber baffle that traps in the exhaust sound when it exits the hull near the pump it's like an extra muffler. I was just thinking it may be patented and it may not. I don't really know, just being thorough .

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ohh, my bad!
From the parts schematic these rubber brackets (35 and 36) looked to me like a gasket/seal type of material that would fit between the pump's transom plate and the transom...
The boat pumps don't seem to have these parts...
I still think that insulating the pump from the hull with a rubber seal of some kind would potentially dampen vibrations a great deal. I'm just not sure how it would affect the clearances of all the moving parts etc.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The picture is from my pump removal fiasco on my 05 AR230 but you can see my exhaust exit on the right. Yamaha stopped putting the flange on the outside and just covers it in sealant?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes and on the p w c's they enclose that pump area with rubber to quiet it down more since an operator is sitting so close to the exhaust exit area, however I do not see why that would not also quiet down a boat exhaust also.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Soooo.... Do you think that rubber part could be adapted/manufactured/installed in a boat pump?

Sorry guys, I'm a bit obsessed with noise reduction and running out of practical ideas...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Perhaps you can go to a dealer and look at the p w c and the boat pump areas and see for yourself I really never looked that close if the pump housings are the same then the brackets should also be the same.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps you can go to a dealer and look at the p w c and the boat pump areas and see for yourself I really never looked that close if the pump housings are the same then the brackets should also be the same.
Okay, now I understand! Hard to get a good shot, but it is exactly how you described it - a baffle. Or, a very thick rubber curtain of sorts. Not what I imagined at all. Had to go and look at some waverunners at St. Charles Boat and Motor.

upload_2015-9-25_12-51-14.png

upload_2015-9-25_12-51-40.png