• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What kind of battery

snydertalon

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
2008 Seadoo Speedter 150

So I had starting issues. Bought a new battery from Autozone. Wouldn't turn over. Ended up breaking starter, replacing starter, still wouldnt turn over. New spark plugs. Nothing. Pulled battery out of my car, turned on immediately.

Both are Duralast 24 group batteries. The one for my car is their gold w/ 715 CCA. The deep cycle marine was 5XX CCA / 685 MCA. The deep cycle marine battery would not start my boat.

I would prefer to buy the car battery for it...it costs more and has a longer warranty, it must be better, right? But, a lot of forums say not to. Where are you guys getting the batteries to start your boats? This was the largest marine battery that Autozone sold ($90), but I don't mind paying more if it means I can have my boat again.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most of us run dual battery setups so that we can use a starting battery for the engine, and a deep cycle battery for electronics which may drain nearly completely time and again. In a single battery setup, it is never recommended to use a deep cycle battery.

That being said, many have confused the terms Marine Battery and Deep cycle battery. Many deep cycle batteries are marine batteries due to their extra shock protection and usually being sealed. What you want is a starting battery with plenty of CCA. If it is sealed, that is a bonus. your engine needs a starting battery. This is also why some have spent the extra dollars on an AGM battery as it can be purchased as starting or deep cycle, but it is sealed and well shock protected.

I am of the cheap state of mind, as I have had great luck with Sam's club and Walmart batteries. In fact, I just changed my deep cycle after 9 years of use! The norm is to swap it every 2-3 years!! Our starting battery is an AGM.

So go buy a good sealed starting battery. I would have a tough time justifying the cost of an Optima AGM, but here is some good info on their site:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us

There are some third party AGM's now as more companies are making them. Just to confuse the matter further, there are even Hybrid/Dual purpose batteries designed for starting/deep cycle purposes. If you run your stereo/electronics off the same battery, this may be for you.

Good luck!!