• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What kind of first aid kit do you keep in your boat?

Also put in a Bee kit. for anaphylactic shock. That will save someone. If it happens you wont have time to take them anywhere before it too late. I had to use mine after eating take-out lasagna (of all things). No priors just a sudden unexpected one-time food allergic reaction. Took less than 10 min from start to the oh-shit stage. Gave myself the shot, called 911 and a spent the nite in the ER. It would be horrible to have that happen to a child on your boat and not have the kit. Cam.

PS my first aid kit is also huge so that I can handle anything.

....1 Green Glow Stick (6”)

Great reminder, thanks! I need to throw some of those on the boat. The kids always get in my stash! These are great for working in tight dark spaces (when all other lights have died).

Also put in a Bee kit. for anaphylactic shock. That will save someone. If it happens you wont have time to take them anywhere before it too late. I had to use mine after eating take-out lasagna (of all things). No priors just a sudden unexpected one-time food allergic reaction. Took less than 10 min from start to the oh-shit stage. Gave myself the shot, called 911 and a spent the nite in the ER. It would be horrible to have that happen to a child on your boat and not have the kit. Cam.

PS my first aid kit is also huge so that I can handle anything.

Cam, did you need a prescription for epinephrine?

Here's the kit I carry on the big boat. It's got all the goodies except the hot nurse that knows how to use all this stuff!
image.jpg

Nice kit Murf! Thats even bigger than mine. The Bee kits are available over the counter at pharmacies. I had a paramedic friend make me a couple for free, essentialy an epinephrine syringe and some chewable benadryl tablets. During my "episode" I also learned that the chewable antihistamine tablets (benedryl) are vital to keep around as they act almost instantly. I have them in the boat and all my vehicles now. Cam

Hey. I just noticed the stethescope. I have one in my toolbox I could use. I can listen to mechanical noises with a screwdriver but its hard to listen to a chest with a screwdriver. Good idea. Cam.

Where are you guys buying your Quikclot gauze? Do you pay attention to the expiration dates? Are you using the home products or the military version?

Do you think Celox is just as good? I think I would be more likely to find a use for the 2 gram packs of Celox than a big pack of Quilclot .

We carry the Celox at work (law enforcement). I might carry both, small package to tend to small injuries, but the large bag is meant for traumatic injuries. Dump it in the wound and beat feet to medical attention. It saves lives for sure.

All this talk of first aid kits makes me realize it's been a very long time since I was an Army Combat Life Saver (not a medic, but just enough training to stabilize someone until a medic could arrive). Is anyone aware of a boaters first aid course? A friend of my sons was hit by a prop several years ago and is the main reason we bought a Yamaha, he was seconds away from not surviving the injury. So while we don't have to worry about prop strikes, we are surrounded on the water by people not lucky enough to own a jetboat. The Army taught us to use tourniquets, but I think they have fallen out of favor and I really have no idea to treat a traumatic amputation. Well for that fact, I would like current skills and understanding of advanced first aid.

All this talk of first aid kits makes me realize it's been a very long time since I was an Army Combat Life Saver (not a medic, but just enough training to stabilize someone until a medic could arrive). Is anyone aware of a boaters first aid course? A friend of my sons was hit by a prop several years ago and is the main reason we bought a Yamaha, he was seconds away from not surviving the injury. So while we don't have to worry about prop strikes, we are surrounded on the water by people not lucky enough to own a jetboat. The Army taught us to use tourniquets, but I think they have fallen out of favor and I really have no idea to treat a traumatic amputation. Well for that fact, I would like current skills and understanding of advanced first aid.

A tourniquet is a last resort since it can cause the loss of a limb. Celox and other quick clotting agents are perfect in your example of a prop strike. They're designed to stop moderate to severe bleeding and buy you enough time to get to a hospital.

http://www.amazon.com/CELOX-First-T...?ie=UTF8&qid=1402607264&sr=8-1&keywords=celox

http://www.amazon.com/Celox-V12090-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1402607264&sr=8-4&keywords=celox

We carry both at work. The way we were trained, the large bags of granules may be better to apply to a larger more gaping wound. Gauze can be stuffed into a smaller wound cavity like a stab or gunshot, or wrapped around a slashing type injury. The smaller injuries are not what's going to kill you, so the smaller packages are more for minor incidents like you mentioned. Remember that this stuff was designed to address traumatic battlefield injuries prior to more significant treatment.

Thanks, my first aid training is limited to what I learned in the Boy Scouts.

But as the recipient of 250 stitches in a single incident I feel that I have a little bit of trauma experience.

I had the home version of Quikclot in our previous round of first aid kits. It is expired now and never came out of any of the three kits.

@cane.mba I don't know of any boating related course other than some of the Captain schools for 50-100ton licenses.

Your local Red Cross offers CPR/AED and first aid training. Everyone should take these courses so that they know what to do in times of a medical emergency.

Thanks @Murf'n'surf , I've taken the basic CPR and first aid classes before. They are great classes but I left them wanting to know more, they felt a little superficial I guess. I realize I'm not a first responder, but being on the lake could take longer for a first responder to arrive.

image.jpg This is my on-boat kit. Not even sure what's in it. But seemed more important to carry it on the boat than in the car :rolleyes:

Red Cross used to offer 5 levels of training, the top one being just below first responder on the food chain. I think the CPR one is like the first level. I had that top one in college--a full semester course. Might want to see if they have that still.

Back