• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What kind of first aid kit do you keep in your boat?

Whiskey and a stick.

A tourniquet is a last resort since it can cause the loss of a limb. Celox and other quick clotting agents are perfect in your example of a prop strike. They're designed to stop moderate to severe bleeding and buy you enough time to get to a hospital.

http://www.amazon.com/CELOX-First-T...?ie=UTF8&qid=1402607264&sr=8-1&keywords=celox

http://www.amazon.com/Celox-V12090-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1402607264&sr=8-4&keywords=celox
Tourniquet application is now a first line intervention with accompanying chemical hemorrhage control. If standard measures (direct pressure, elevation) don't immediately control the bleeding and the patient's blood loss is that severe losing the limb is in effect a minor issue. Adults contain about 5 liters (plus or minus depending on size) blood volume and irreversible shock (decompensated) sets in early with a relatively low amount of blood volume lost. So, hemorrhage control measures are key to survival, ergo the tourniquet is a primary early intervention especially if you are far from definitive emergency care. Early activation of 911 or marine assistance (Coast Gaurd) etc will be important to increased trauma survival.
Children with severe trauma tend to crash suddenly as their body's compensatory measures fail with little warning. Different from adults, adults tend to begin decompensating gradually whereas children can appear stable and decompensate (crash) abruptly.
So, lose a limb, lose a life. Which is the worse choice?
A prop injury or other major trauma on a boat needs to be addressed rapidly and aggressively if active, uncontrolled bleeding is present. Most people do not carry chemical clotting devices or blood volume support supplies on board but any boat has the makings for a quick tourniquet.
Get it on there tight, tighten until the bleeding slows and stops.
BTW, tourniquet not recomended for head wounds.

Tourniquet application is now a first line intervention with accompanying chemical hemorrhage control. If standard measures (direct pressure, elevation) don't immediately control the bleeding and the patient's blood loss is that severe losing the limb is in effect a minor issue. Adults contain about 5 liters (plus or minus depending on size) blood volume and irreversible shock (decompensated) sets in early with a relatively low amount of blood volume lost. So, hemorrhage control measures are key to survival, ergo the tourniquet is a primary early intervention especially if you are far from definitive emergency care. Early activation of 911 or marine assistance (Coast Gaurd) etc will be important to increased trauma survival.
Children with severe trauma tend to crash suddenly as their body's compensatory measures fail with little warning. Different from adults, adults tend to begin decompensating gradually whereas children can appear stable and decompensate (crash) abruptly.
So, lose a limb, lose a life. Which is the worse choice?
A prop injury or other major trauma on a boat needs to be addressed rapidly and aggressively if active, uncontrolled bleeding is present. Most people do not carry chemical clotting devices or blood volume support supplies on board but any boat has the makings for a quick tourniquet.
Get it on there tight, tighten until the bleeding slows and stops.
BTW, tourniquet not recomended for head wounds.

I think we were both saying the same thing here. But you said it more eloquently. I agree that the tourniquet is better than death!

Aw, I was all set to use them on head wounds...

Don't forget to add a set of bone saws.....you never know!! LOL
Got 'em! They are in the bottom left of my pic -- I cringe every time I see them.

I think we were both saying the same thing here. But you said it more eloquently. I agree that the tourniquet is better than death!
Upperdeck,
We are definitely reading from the same page here.
And is that you with John Poncharillo on your profile shot?
Awesome stuff my friend, awesome stuff!

Upperdeck,
We are definitely reading from the same page here.
And is that you with John Poncharillo on your profile shot?
Awesome stuff my friend, awesome stuff!

Yes, in fact it is. We rode with Eric Estrada during Harley Fest 2013! Shared a drink and a cigar that evening too! Great guy, very supportive of law enforcement...

47d58104-6d79-452e-84c1-614c7d2f72c8.jpg

Back