• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What retractable transom strap do you recommend?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always felt that BoatBuckles were very nice but overpriced. Fortunately their prices have come down as competition has emerged

Fulton is now offering zinc and stainless options. Their stainless option is stronger than the stainless BoatBuckles.

Ericsson has brought out value priced offering at less than $35 with 50% greater capacity that the zinc options from BoatBuckle and Fulton. I frequently use Erickson ratcheting straps to secure loads and my tractor. I would choose the Erickson option if I only boated in fresh water.

Attwood offers an option rated for 2,400 pounds per pair. I feel this is insufficient for our boats.

I am probably going to try a pair of stainless Fultons for the best combination of strength and longetivity. Has anyone tried them? Am I missing a better option?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeesh, there you go...reading my mind again Bruce?

I was just thinking about replacing my time tested (read "old") manual straps - the Velcro that wraps around the loose end finally gave up the ghost.

I saw this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Powersports-2060300-2-Piece-Retractable/dp/B00P3IAYSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433871795&sr=8-2&keywords=retractable transom strap
I saw the Reese version when I started shopping but I could not find it or remember the brand name. I believe the version you linked to is made from zinc. They offer a stainless version with the same specs as Fulton as well.

I guess my big question is whether to buy a stronger zinc product or spend twice as much on stainless.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg

I picked these up at Overtons originally for about $70 for the pair. One broke and I bought a replacement pair at Gander Mountain for $20 this spring. I'm not sure if I got a deal, if they're in the computer wrong or what, but I wasn't about to complain.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mixed feelings about going with the less expensive models. While they get fairly good reviews, a few say it loses it retractability after a while. I know my son in law's straps just kind of dangle and don't retract all the way. Not sure what brand he has.

Whichever one I end up with, I'm sure I'll spray some Boeshield all over the mechanism to keep it happy.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The Fulton ones that came with my Shorelandr stopped retracting on one side last year. They are the zinc buckles. No big deal as I just wrap it around the trailer 1.5 times when in the water.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Boat Buckles. They have worked great and I think they (or something similar to them) or the best mod you can make. The factory straps are a nightmare.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am the poster child for buying the cheaper-but-just-as-good (or so I think) products, only to have them fail and end up buying the original top-name-brand in the end. :shy:

Clearly the factory "manual" straps are a pain compared to the ratchets. So when my boat was new I quickly replace the factory straps with Tie-Down brand ratchets. They gotta be just as good at Boat Buckles for half the price, right? Well, OK they were junk after 1 year but the REESE should be just as good for 3/4 the price, right? Nope. They crapped out after 2 years. So I bit the bullet and bought the real BOAT BUCKLE ratchet straps. Been using them for about 7 years now and they have been flawless.

I could tell a similar tale regarding the traction mats (hydro-turf/sea-deck) but thats for another thread... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have boat buckles on my Yamaha for almost 10 years....not one problem.

Have StarBrite ratchets on a Mastercraft for 2 years.....both sides have issues with releasing. Not sure what's wrong but they didn't last long before having issues.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 242 came with Starbrites, and they constantly come loose and sometimes jam when trying to work them. I don't know if they are original or what, but definitely old. I plan on replacing very soon.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Love my boat buckles but they are the first set of retractable straps i've owned. never have had an issue with them coming loose.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have boat buckles. Have had them for a little over a year no issues.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got the Boat Buckle stainless set that I've had for at least 3yrs if not 4. The original straps were getting hard to operate and I thought it was time to upgrade. I still kept them as backup since they still function. @Bruce I hope you have good luck with your new set.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am the poster child for buying the cheaper-but-just-as-good (or so I think) products, only to have them fail and end up buying the original top-name-brand in the end. :shy:

Clearly the factory "manual" straps are a pain compared to the ratchets. So when my boat was new I quickly replace the factory straps with Tie-Down brand ratchets. They gotta be just as good at Boat Buckles for half the price, right? Well, OK they were junk after 1 year but the REESE should be just as good for 3/4 the price, right? Nope. They crapped out after 2 years. So I bit the bullet and bought the real BOAT BUCKLE ratchet straps. Been using them for about 7 years now and they have been flawless.

I could tell a similar tale regarding the traction mats (hydro-turf/sea-deck) but thats for another thread... :rolleyes:
I'm waiting.....

Kevin1741

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever the brand of ratchet strap that comes with the 24 footers gave me problems the first time out. I replaced them with stainless boat buckles. Thay work flawlessly!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really need to get a set of these.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Boat Buckles baby. And I didn't go with the weaker stainless version. But you don't need a big rating, the winch is only 1500 pounds for petes sake! What you need is a quality ratchet strap, not a knock off.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length