• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What retractable transom strap do you recommend?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So.....after much deliberation and considering your impression of the Reese version you purchased, I bought the Reese. In zinc.
I figured that I could purchase two sets for less than the price of the Boat Buckles.
And I will now, because of this thread, give them considerable attention to ensure that they hold up. :winkingthumbsup"
I have the Boat Buckles, but I am with @biglar155 ......at least buy some kind of retractable strap to make your life so much easier. It is funny how we spend so much money on purchasing these boats and then worry about spending $50-100 to make using them easier and more enjoyable. For the same reason, at some point I think the boat will be sitting in a slip at the marina instead of trailering.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Boat Buckles, but I am with @biglar155 ......at least buy some kind of retractable strap to make your life so much easier. It is funny how we spend so much money on purchasing these boats and then worry about spending $50-100 to make using them easier and more enjoyable. For the same reason, at some point I think the boat will be sitting in a slip at the marina instead of trailering.
The slip sure is the ultimate when it comes to convenience. We've done that from time to time when we are going to be staying put in one place for a while. How's the water where you'll be slipping the boat?
I've found myself pulling the boat after 3 or 4 days just to clean the bottom. Some places where algae and other critters are abundant it doesn't take long to get that nasty line on the hull. Then of course I find myself wishing I had just pulled out each day...:oops:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The slip sure is the ultimate when it comes to convenience. We've done that from time to time when we are going to be staying put in one place for a while. How's the water where you'll be slipping the boat?
I've found myself pulling the boat after 3 or 4 days just to clean the bottom. Some places where algae and other critters are abundant it doesn't take long to get that nasty line on the hull. Then of course I find myself wishing I had just pulled out each day...:oops:
The lake closest to me is nasty and filled with all kinds of plant life. As anal as I am about the boat, I don't think I could sleep nights if it was sitting in that cesspool. I would leave it on one of the finger lakes which are extremely clean. If I have to pull it out more than once a month to wash it, I will probably go back to trailering it. I am sure the happiest boat owners are the ones that aren't worried about this kind of stuff. I hope to join them.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The lake closest to me is nasty and filled with all kinds of plant life. As anal as I am about the boat, I don't think I could sleep nights if it was sitting in that cesspool. I would leave it on one of the finger lakes which are extremely clean. If I have to pull it out more than once a month to wash it, I will probably go back to trailering it. I am sure the happiest boat owners are the ones that aren't worried about this kind of stuff. I hope to join them.
Ah, the finger lakes....brings back memories. When I was a kid we canoed from Old Forge to Lower Saranac and hit a bunch of lakes, going through locks, etc. Beautiful up there.

We tied two canoes together to make a catamaran and used ponchos for sails - Long Lake was a blast when the wind picked up!

I learned recently that they now have a race on what is probably the same route I took 40 years ago!

http://www.saranaclake.com/events/canoe-classic-90-miler

Oops, sorry for the hi-jack :rolleyes:

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This damn thread just costed me nearly $100! But my boat buckles should be here by the end of the week....

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The el cheapo deluxe version I got held up quite well through the 3 days use use in triple digit temperatures....not that I think the heat had any effect on them. I just wanted to bitch about the heat.

At first one side didn't want to retract all the way...had to persuade it. It was only temporary. After the first day they worked great.
I sprayed Boeshield on the steel mechanism before ever dunking them and again before putting her away.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Reese stainless straps are working perfectly.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Reese stainless straps are working perfectly.
I am happy to report that after 445 miles of trailering today I have not had to adjust the straps at all.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the noob question, but after nearly losing a fingertip in the OEM straps I'd like some of these retractable straps. Will I compromise the integrity of the galvanized trailer by drilling mounting holes?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another year in and the Reese stainless straps are still working perfectly. I can not remember the last time I lubricated or did anything nice for them but they just keep working.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
End of year 8 on my Boat Buckles. Zero maintenance, zero problems. I know exactly the last time I lubricated them...NEVER :D (Not saying you shouldn't, just saying I never did and they just keep working)

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spray mine occasionally with wd40 waterproof

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stainless retractable Boat Buckles all the way. So quick and easy, they are hard to beat. Now if I could only find a trailer jack that was as reliable. I am on my 5th, yes 5th jack at this point. That is counting the two super heavy duty Fulton F2's that both were complete garbage.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would've sat down and handwritten a letter to Fulton with a picture or two of the jacks that failed you. You would be surprised at how handwritten letters get passed around companies (maybe because everything is electronic these days) many companies are still very responsive to complaints and with simple picture proof someone usually gives the word, "Take care of this guy". Ive gotten back to hand writing companies and I can go on for days about the responses I received.

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would've sat down and handwritten a letter to Fulton with a picture or two of the jacks that failed you. You would be surprised at how handwritten letters get passed around companies (maybe because everything is electronic these days) many companies are still very responsive to complaints and with simple picture proof someone usually gives the word, "Take care of this guy". Ive gotten back to hand writing companies and I can go on for days about the responses I received.
Since I purchased them from West Marine, they too them back, so I can't say I was screwed over. Not to mention I love the F2 2speed winch, I think it's the best winch on the market.

btbowden

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The boat probally moved. After doing the same thing as you for years I read a post by @Julian on hitting the brakes hard just before you leave the ramp. Do that retighten and you should be good to go.

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hope I don't divert the thread too much, but something I've been wanting to ask that didn't seem worthy of a new thread.....Have you guys noticed the straps getting loose in transit? I have the overton's tie downs (link below) and I have to go back a few times after hauling the boat and ratchet them a few times. Not sure if they are loosening or the boat actually moved up some.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Retractable-Transom-Tie-Down-System&i=80594
Does your bow stop post move at all? After I welded mine, the boat moves around much less and the straps tend to stay tight.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boats (and PWC's) move around a little after retrieving. I always have to readjust after a mile down the road. Doesn't matter if I'm using regular ratchet straps, clamp style straps or self-retracting systems like my Boat Buckles. It's normal IMO. Rather than slam on my brakes I just make it a point to pull off the road after leaving the ramp and do a quick readjust. They stay tight after that. Been that way for me on anything ive had in water that gets loaded on a trailer.