• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What retractable transom strap do you recommend?

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Have you guys noticed the straps getting loose in transit? I have the overton's tie downs (link below) and I have to go back a few times after hauling the boat and ratchet them a few times. Not sure if they are loosening or the boat actually moved up some.
I have. I've assumed that the boat shifted. After I've driven a short distance (several miles), I check the winch, then tighten the boat buckles. They seem to "hold" the second time. I've just assumed the boat it settling onto the trailer.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Need to replace these on my trailer, since my 7 month old lab ate through the straps. The trailer came with the Fulton 2" zinc straps. I can't comment on the mechanical longevity, but I did notice the retraction was starting to slow. Truth be known, I never lubed them and I do trailer the boat all over the place. I too always thought the boat settled on the trailer, rather than the straps slipping. I might replace with the same zinc straps and not upgrade to stainless or a premium brand like Boat Buckles as long as she thinks the boat is nothing more than a 50k chew toy.

Attachments

Snofire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know I'm very late to this party but I've got the modding craze going on. Just purchased the BoatBuckle Stainless for just a little less than the Reese. I can't wait to add these on. My wife on the other hand isn't going to be happy with the bill that will be coming for everything I've bought so far..lol

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Am i the only guy totally happy with the old cam style straps? Takes me about 15 seconds each. Gets super tight and nothing to break.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Am i the only guy totally happy with the old cam style straps? Takes me about 15 seconds each. Gets super tight and nothing to break.

Honestly, though I’d love to have Boat Buckels, and don’t doubt they are great, I’m in the same boat here...... Just cant justify the upgrade as the regular style work and don’t really cramp my style.

One day i’ll probably upgrade, especially with all the great feedback here.... but just cant seem to justify it!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah me too, been using this cam style for 20yrs and fine with them. I suppose I'd have some sort of nirvana moment if I ever upgraded but until then I've always been happy with the old cam style. According to some comments on here I've been living a "nightmare" for 20 yrs and didn't know it. :D

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah me too, been using this cam style for 20yrs and fine with them. I suppose I'd have some sort of nirvana moment if I ever upgraded but until then I've always been happy with the old cam style. According to some comments on here I've been living a "nightmare" for 20 yrs and didn't know it. :D
You’d change you’re mind if you were a salty boater.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m not real impressed with Boat Buckles. They came with my boat and the retractable feature failed a couple of years ago. They were in decent condition in 2014 when I got the boat and worked well even though it sat unused for a couple of years.

I boat in brackish water and lubed them with CRC656 before every outing and sprayed them down with fresh water upon return every single time. They seem to be failing at locations they shouldn’t be failing which probably is the same no matter which version of them they are. To be fair, they don’t look like the stainless version but they came on a galvanized trailer so I assume they are rated for some salt use. They do still ratchet tight but I am going to replace them since the hook part looks really bad and weak.

015B008C-E765-4DBB-9D45-F46F2B3E1D6D.jpeg

46571777-6E3A-442F-AE41-E06B43E10D5A.jpeg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im intrigued and don't doubt you... but why?
Those original cam style tie downs seize up in 2 weeks once around salt water.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not real impressed with Boat Buckles. They came with my boat and the retractable feature failed a couple of years ago. They were in decent condition in 2014 when I got the boat and worked well even though it sat unused for a couple of years.

I boat in brackish water and lubed them with CRC656 before every outing and sprayed them down with fresh water upon return every single time. They seem to be failing at locations they shouldn’t be failing which probably is the same no matter which version of them they are. To be fair, they don’t look like the stainless version but they came on a galvanized trailer so I assume they are rated for some salt use. They do still ratchet tight but I am going to replace them since the hook part looks really bad and weak.

View attachment 82098

View attachment 82099
Damn. THat's what I have...
Mine look surprisingly good and work very well, but I am crazy keeping them sprayed, I've used T-9 before and after Bimini trip, and then use CRC656 all the time basically soaking them. I also tried the Bel Ray chain lubricant that sticks really well, but it gets a bit messy.

--

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I boat exclusively in salt water with my new SX195 and use the cam style that came with the boat and never even thought about upgradong it. When I get to the ramp it's a routine recheck of everything I did prior to leaving as well as prep before I put the boat in.

Plugs in, take straps completely off (I'm down there anyway checking plugs, pump and intake so an extra 30 seconds taking the straps completely off and putting them in my Jeep isn't an issue. Get in boat, fenders, lines out and attach to the boat. Battery on, blower on. Quick once over, make sure motor starts, shut off and then dip it down the ramp. Only takes a few minutes and is apart of our precheck list before we go out each and Everytime.

I have never left my straps on going into the water, they are transport only so no corrosion issues with a full summer of use thus far.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only made the switch after we lost one of the original straps while launching the boat. I think I got a tighter pull with the original straps versus the Boat Buckle ratchet straps.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only made the switch after we lost one of the original straps while launching the boat.
Being honest, this sums up my feelings... if/when I lose or break the original strap, I'll probably put boat buckles on... if spending the money anyways why not, I do love the idea of them, and the way they work, just find myself in an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" position.

But along with others, I am intrigued to discover what it's like to move out of the supposed dark ages one day!

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use ericsson. They work well but the aut0-retraction broke long ago. Not that big a deal for me so i never replaced because the straps themselves do the job they are intended to, but the lifespan of the spring reaction mechanism was short lived.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just noticed that Boat Buckles only have a 1 year warranty. That doesn't bode well for confidence in them. Most expensive boating items (especially stainless) like this have a lifetime or long warranty. If they won't stand behind them, that probably means they aren't really built to last. That's a shame too because the stainless ones are 73 bucks each on Amazon, 85 at Cabelas! Now I remember why I've just dealt with them not reeling in for a couple of seasons.

EDIT-The Fulton stainless ones have a 5 year warranty and I can get them on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $56 (almost half price!). Looks like a winner. I'll report back when I get them.

Last edited:

Snofire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just noticed that Boat Buckles only have a 1 year warranty. That doesn't bode well for confidence in them. Most expensive boating items (especially stainless) like this have a lifetime or long warranty. If they won't stand behind them, that probably means they aren't really built to last. That's a shame too because the stainless ones are 73 bucks each on Amazon, 85 at Cabelas! Now I remember why I've just dealt with them not reeling in for a couple of seasons.

EDIT-The Fulton stainless ones have a 5 year warranty and I can get them on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $56 (almost half price!). Looks like a winner. I'll report back when I get them.
Actually I found them for $93 on Amazon. Warehouse Marine had them for 73 each.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am thinking this is certainly a salt or brackish water issue. I am going on 5... er... 6 years (my time flies) on mine in fresh water only and absolutely no issues with the stock ones. Just seems like a very different experience from those in salty water.