• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What should I get....

My bank approved me but I dont want to make 60K payments... I can swing them but that just infringes on my fun money needed to use it and other activities too much. I am not seeing many used boats I would be willing to own yet and have decided if I stay in the Yamaha family it will be with the 212X. Again, room is not an issue it was power, the 212x having the twin 1.8 NA's (which I do want to stay with over the MR1) it is the only boat in the line up with the greatest power to weight ratio (towered boat that is). Now to find a dealer that will deal. I put 9K down on my 192, knowing I am losing the 2K in taxes and fees and including that I bought it 2K below MSRP I should not be upside down at all however the dealer I was talking to only wanted to give me 1K less than I owwwe and there is no way I will sell for that little and lose so much. If I do not find a deal that leaves me in the + equity side, I will keep my curruent boat for a while and try to sell it outright. Some dealers think people are idiots and apparently in some areas they absolutely are if they do business that way... Now to see if I can make a deal happen. At least it is in my favor again as I am approved for up to 60K it is up to me to find someone willing to make a sale that I am comfortable with.

Well, I have just been reading this thread till now and thinking about it. It seems you have your mind made up to make the move. The funny or ironic part is I think I made a mention to you a few months ago that you might have bought the wrong boat LOL.

Hate to see you move on, but you have to do what is right for your entire family. I wouldn't say I am blessed because it sounds bad, but I am blessed I don't have a huge family to take boating LOL! We took another couple with us Sunday and with us and the kids the boat was still great! I can't imagine having TOO much more than that with us.

@CFD3Captain unfortunately when I bought the boat I did not think it would be a big deal to have a few extra on board and typically it is not, however with the added weight coms the decreased performance and increased fuel consumption. When I ran the boat for a total of about 6 hours for the entire holiday weekend and burned through 80 gallons of fuel to do it is when reality struck. Again, myself and a GF and 2 others it is not so bad, just 2 of us it is great but when you want to do activities like tubing, thats when it falls off big time. It is not fun to not have people to witness the facial expressions of those on the tube, alone with the lack of power to make the ride more interesting... I could not imagine how much less it would have been without the supercharger... its not a bad boat but not the right boat for me. I hate to have to move on, thinking of what loss I will take etc. but when you can't get a real test drive out of anybody in a 300 mile radius you are rolling the dice and that is exactly what I did.

I hear ya man! I took no test ride but was able to set on one in the showroom. I drove nearly 10 hours to get mine once I decided on it. You should have ZERO issues selling it outright. Don't trade it and take the huge loss.

@Englewoodcowboy we tubed a good bit this weekend and I didn't even look at the fuel gauge LOL. I may go look and see how much is in there since I have to fill her up before leaving her at the slip this weekend.

I had the Super Mable, 3 young adults on it and 5 adults in the boat. At WOT it had all it could do to get on plane and achieve 20mph, turn the wheel at all and it would fall off plane meanwhile in 5 min of running I watched the fuel gauge go from full (just topped it off before that run) to 3/4 and that ended the group fun specially when fuel on the water was over $4 a gallon... We then started to pull the tube with my sons jet ski while everyone remained in the boat and listened to the stereo however they quickly bored watching the jets go round and round and hearing the squeals and laughter but not seeing the reactions... it just made for a difficult decision that I am facing now.

Consider an older, low hour, model. They exist and the cost won't break the bank.

As for the wake, go make friends with a couple of sumo wrestlers. Feeding them might cost as much as a new ballast system though :rolleyes:

sumo.png

Just to add a choice to your shopping list, consider the new Chaparral 223 vr or vrx. They look very nice and have a ton of cool features. Options for power range from 300 to 500 hp. Automated ballast, gps cruise control, etc.

Just to add a choice to your shopping list, consider the new Chaparral 223 vr or vrx. They look very nice and have a ton of cool features. Options for power range from 300 to 500 hp. Automated ballast, gps cruise control, etc.

When I was comparing the 19-20' boats, the Chaparrals were significantly higher. I don't know if that is true of the larger boats or not but that was just my experience.

You can do a build and price on the chap website. Mid 50s would get you a pretty nicely equipped 223. Starting price is around 49k iirc.

I found the limitations of my AR192 this weekend as well. Even though I JUST BOUGHT IT!!! Oh well. Maybe in a few years Ill trade up. Couldnt afford the 21fts or bigger. I love the jet drive but I agree with @OrangeTJ. After this weekend, it has be reconsidering a "true" Wakeboard boat.
What were you finding on your boat? I have never tried to pull a large tube while heavily loaded, but I have been able to pull up a 200lb wakeboarder with 5 guys in the boat. I could tell it didn't like the load a whole lot until I got my boarder out of the water, but I am surprised to hear so many disappointments. On the other hand, it makes me REALLY thankful I went with the 192 vs. the 190.

You can do a build and price on the chap website. Mid 50s would get you a pretty nicely equipped 223. Starting price is around 49k iirc.

The wake from the chap is still washy and they still have to turn to surf.....

As far as me surfing ( I am 300#) and I had an 800# ballast and 3 adults in my boat it did well, where it didn't do so well was pulling the tube, ballast drained of coarse, 5 people in the boat and 3 young adults/big kids on the tube. It still muscled them out of the water but its top speed was reduced to about 20 mph and that was at WOT and if you turned at all it would fall off plane that quick. You could not get the tube to sling other than cross your tail wake. Now if I had 2 of the passengers get out of the boat it did better, it just turns out that the drag of the tube and weight for what I want to do is more than the 192 can handle. It sucks for me because it has done everything I initially wanted and then some but when it is time to enjoy it with the family it is lacking in power. I think it is an excellent boat and am disappointed that I cannot make it work but for a smaller family, young couple with teenagers our smaller it would be the best boat for the job IMHO but my kids are 20+, I am 300#, my son is 6-3 and 290 you can see my family is large and it is not a large family boat however it seated us all very comfortably. I have to hand it to Yamaha they made one hell of a roomy 19' boat for sure. It is great boat I just need more capacity and ability to handle that capacity. By the way it is listed int he classifieds now.

@d_coyne1984 . I have found the wake boarding and the initial launch is fine but the maneuverability is suffering at speed. Wake boarding depends on the weight of the rider. There is little drag because of the small surface area. Thats not the big deal. I did find that when pulling tow people on a tube, you cant really SLING them like they want to be slung. I had myself 6 people on the boat total, none of us over 200lbs each. Had two people on the tube and I REALLY felt the boat slow down A LOT during the hard turns. Id have it pegged 100% throttle and stay straight long enough to get the speed and then I might get one decent turn to sling them. Then I'd have to go straight again to speed up. I found this the same with my small 5' wife. If I was constantly turning back and forth it was barely enough to sling her from one side of the wake to the other. I guess a I/O keeps enough torque to keep the boat at speed during a turn. Very disappointing. If/When I upgrade, I have to say I will strongly consider a true Wake Board boat for the raw TORQUE they offer.

Yeah, I guess I can attest to wishing for a little more torque when fully loaded. I bought the Yamaha because it was the roomiest boat I could find in my price range, but already find myself wishing I had more capacity. The 8-person capacity rating is deceiving. If you do the math that's only 155 lb per person, so basically a couple of adults and a few kids is all you are going to manage, and at that weight, she sits pretty damn low in the water. It takes a good amount of power to get that much on plane and keep it there. A single 155mm impeller probably just isn't going to be enough to cut it even if you boosted the rpms. I think you need more surface area pushing against the water than a 155mm impeller can offer.

I just saw a post on the Yamaha Jet Boaters Facebook page yesterday of someone looking for a used 190 or 192. Might be worth looking at it.

Thats the main reason I bought mine, too. They are by far the roomiest 19' you'll find. Thats without any doubt. If I have just 4 people on the boat, it does pretty well. But for the amount I paid, I couldve gotten a slightly used Malibu or something and it wouldve been bigger, more power, more options, nicer options and more capable. Only downside would be the more maintenance but as a mechanic, I dont mind. Still, very disappointing.

I agree with finding an older, bigger used boat. I don't like to finance toys. ESPECIALLY not for 15 years. That's just nuts. There's nothing in the newer boats that I think, I HAVE to have that, and I'm not going to have $50k more worth of fun if I buy a brand new boat vs. my older, but well-cared for boat. I got my boat for a great price when @CFD3Captain sold it during a momentary lapse of reason... and I meticulously maintain it. If there's something I want to add to the boat, I'll add it with the money I WOULD have been putting towards payments. If there's no upgrades or maintenance items I need, I'll take care of some optional stuff with the budgeted money... refresh the seats, get some gelcoat issues taken care of, etc. Besides fuel, I've spent a lot less than $1k a year on my boat, and most of that is in optional upgrades. If I won the lottery, yeah I might buy a new tricked out boat, and have it modded to my specs. But for what I do, my old '04 is everything I need.

Boats are simple. A hull, an engine or two... they're not tough to maintain. Find someone who took care of an older boat, be willing to travel for the right deal, and get what you want for a lot better price.

A lesson to be learned, though, is to remember that your first boat is just that... your FIRST boat. You're going to get another. Your first boat is the one where you figure out what you really want, and really need. My first boat was a '94 Marada. I learned that I didn't care for the I/O platform that much, and I learned about winterization costs. I learned that I would never buy a boat with a plywood/carpeted floor... fiberglass inside and out for me. And, that a 19' boat gets VERY cramped, very quickly, with more than a couple of people on it. But it got my confidence up in my boat handling abilities enough that I didn't worry about getting a boat several feet longer. So, I always recommend that someone looking for their first boat, get something fairly inexpensive but well-maintained, and definitely used. Because after a year or two you'll probably be reselling it yourself.

Back