• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

What spark plug socket do you recommend?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tonight I discovered that the cheap spark plug socket from an old toolkit that I had been using would not hold on to a spark plug. So what do you guys recommend that I replace it with?

Look for a magnetic one. They are wonderful. Cheap ones have a rubber insert that 'grabs' the plug, but if that insert comes out (as it will), you are... well, where you are.

I don't use a spark plug socket. Just use a deep well socket to loosen the plug and then use the coil to go down and grab it and pull it out. Reverse that for installation.

I don't use a spark plug socket. Just use a deep well socket to loosen the plug and then use the coil to go down and grab it and pull it out.

How do you put the new one in? Do you gently drop it in the hole?

How do you put the new one in? Do you gently drop it in the hole?
You press it into the coil a little then feed it down the hole and finger tighten the plug by turning the coil. Pop the coil off then finish snugging the plug up with a wrench.

True, you can do it that way. But for only $15 you can have magnets.

Plus (and this is more important by far), you get to buy a tool. We all know that the main point of doing things yourself is that you have (get) to buy the toys, er, tools with which to do the job!

True, you can do it that way. But for only $15 you can have magnets.

Plus (and this is more important by far), you get to buy a tool. We all know that the main point of doing things yourself is that you have (get) to buy the toys, er, tools with which to do the job!

Now there's a guy who gets it.....AND, if the thought crosses your mind that you "might" just need two of anything "in case" - then you really got it! :D

Right. You can always return it if you don't use it... :rolleyes:

I use a regular plug socket with a little reversed duct tape inside it..this tends to hold the socket enough to get it into the hole. But a magnetic socket sounds like a necessary addition to the tool kit...

KD Tools 9/16" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket at Advanced Auto.
The socket also swivels around a bit which helps on those truck plugs way in the back.

Back