• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to do - 2016 or 2017

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it REALLY matters what model you are looking for. . . .If you had your heart set on a 212X, I would say 2017. . . . 242X, nothing has changed so finding a leftover would by my first priority.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't see your question when I responded to BMF JK above, but yes we have a Yukon with 8200lbs towing capacity, so we should be good on that front.
You should be good. I have a F150 4.6 3V with tow package with 3.55 LS and it pulls the AR240 no problem.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For those of you with the '16 242 Ltd S E-series or 242x E-Series, I know there has been a lot of discussions regarding the bimini top and difficulty of removing it. My question is can you trailer down the highway with canvas still attached, or do you have to remove it every time? I know the tower folds down, but wouldn't the canvas create a sail?

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Things are moving along quickly. Maybe to quick. I have noticed online '16 prices at various dealers dropping over the past days since the 2017's were introduced. My wife and I visited our local dealer yesterday to discuss both the 2016 24ft and 2017 21's. There prices were still listed at MSRP and I asked him if they price matched. He said they would entertain all offers but they would probably wait until the 17's show up in 2-weeks before discounting much. Well, he called me today, on his day off by the way, and said he thought they could get pretty close to what I had showed him and asked if they did, would we be interested in purchasing this week in time for the holiday weekend. So it looks like we are getting a 242 Ltd-S as long as he comes back reasonably close to what I asked for. I'm pretty excited, but a littler nervous with getting everything coordinated very quickly. So the new question is regarding towing. As I mentioned above, I have a 2015 GMC Yukon with an integrated brake controller. No problem with the weight. Does anyone have a Yukon or Chevy Tahoe by chance? The owners manual says the 7-pin connector is setup for trailers with electric brakes or electric over hydraulic brakes. I can't find any information on Yamaha's site about this, and only references I do find on jetboarters says "surge" brakes in an old post. Is there anything specific I need to do, or will the boat dealer take care of hooking me up correctly? Any concerns?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have an Expedition which is basically the same truck. You will have no problem pulling with a Yukon. The trailer surge brakes work very well so you won't even use the brake controller. The only issue you may encounter is the tongue weight making the rear of the vehicle sag. But I suspect even that won't be an issue. You will need a 2" ball for the hitch.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good choice on the 24' v 21'. Wake mods can get expensive but nowhere near as costly as upgrading to a larger boat (aka 2 foot or in the case 3 foot itis).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Things are moving along quickly. Maybe to quick. I have noticed online '16 prices at various dealers dropping over the past days since the 2017's were introduced. My wife and I visited our local dealer yesterday to discuss both the 2016 24ft and 2017 21's. There prices were still listed at MSRP and I asked him if they price matched. He said they would entertain all offers but they would probably wait until the 17's show up in 2-weeks before discounting much. Well, he called me today, on his day off by the way, and said he thought they could get pretty close to what I had showed him and asked if they did, would we be interested in purchasing this week in time for the holiday weekend. So it looks like we are getting a 242 Ltd-S as long as he comes back reasonably close to what I asked for. I'm pretty excited, but a littler nervous with getting everything coordinated very quickly. So the new question is regarding towing. As I mentioned above, I have a 2015 GMC Yukon with an integrated brake controller. No problem with the weight. Does anyone have a Yukon or Chevy Tahoe by chance? The owners manual says the 7-pin connector is setup for trailers with electric brakes or electric over hydraulic brakes. I can't find any information on Yamaha's site about this, and only references I do find on jetboarters says "surge" brakes in an old post. Is there anything specific I need to do, or will the boat dealer take care of hooking me up correctly? Any concerns?

You'll need a 5-pin adapter @SierraWhiskey . I'd imagine the dealer would have one ready to throw in, but you may wanna just go ahead and amazon a good one. Never hurts to have a spare and they are cheap.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want to thank all of you for your help. You are now looking at the new proud owner of a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited-S! Went back and forth with my local dealer trying to get him to match an advertised price of a dealer about 5 hours away. We got within $800 and he threw in 1st year winter storage as well, which to me was worth staying local and buiding a relationship with the dealer who will hopefully service the boat for years to come. I pick up the boat on Thursday and then Friday we are off on an 8 hour drive to Elk/Torch Lake in Michigan for the holiday weekend. Let the break-in period begin. I can't wait to change my profile!!!! I'll try to get some pics to post when I return.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congratulations @SierraWhiskey
We sure like pictures of happy families on their new boats.

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We had an amazing maiden voyage. Everything went great and other than choking on the fuel mileage towing the beauty for 400 each way (9.7mpg avg.), I couldn't have asked for a better Labor Day weekend.

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is some clear water.