• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What to do - 2016 or 2017

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good afternoon everyone. I am new to the forum I am looking for some guidance. I have been reviewing posts all day but think they brought up more questions then I started with, so I apologize upfront for the length of the post and all the questions.

I have been hinting to my wife for years that we should get a new boat rather then tagging along with friends. Unfortunately that had gone over about as well as a fart in church. Needless to say, earlier this summer we spent a week at my sisters cottage in Northern Michigan and they gave us access to their boat. Our kids couldn't get enough, my wife couldn't get enough, that poor old boat I think had more then enough, and guess what....all of a sudden SHE had this great idea that we needed to get a boat! Daddy's in the market!

I have been looking at tons of different boats and am very much leaning towards a Yamaha. We would trailer to local lakes and frequently have friends and their families with us. We want a combination of comfort and performance. Our two boys are fairly athletic, love to tube and wake board, plus I think they would love to try surfing if the capabilities are there. I had been contemplating the AR240, 242 Limited S and the 242x up until I saw the new 2017 21's. Also, my plan was to wait until the winter boat shows in January, as I figure that would be the best time to buy if there were deals to be had (Cincinnati area).

With the 2017 21-ft boats, this adds more questions. From what I have seen this morning, I actually like the new 212x more than the 242x because I'm not a fan of the fixed bimini. The kids have never surfed, so its not a must have, but I think it would be a nice option. So now, 21ft or 24ft? The AR240 is less expensive then the 212x with more room but doesn't have the amenities. Calling them relatively the same price, does the 3 additional feet outweigh the additional amenities? I'm curious if the 21ft owners would have chosen the 24ft or vice versa. I will have to store any boat at a local storage lot no matter the size and again, we will trailer everywhere so those are two other considerations. If sticking with the 24ft, the Limited S is a gorgeous boat, so that narrows my focus down to the 212x, AR240, and 242 Limited S.....which way to go. Pros and cons anyone?

Lastly, there are only 2-3 changes to the 24ft series, so is there any reason to wait until the boat show if I go that route or should I try to pick up remaining 2016 stock? I'm not sure when would be the better time to buy. Any guidance here?

Thank you again and excuse the rambling.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum!

I would imagine all 2016's would see dealers trying to get them off the lots as soon as the 2017's arrive (October). The new 212X is VERY nice but it's also very expensive. As you said it costs more than than the roomier AR240. If you feel you need bags from the get-go it's an easy choice. But you could also buy bags and a pump for the 240 for a few hundred dollars. Both have the new Quiet Cruise sound deadening and both come with Connext (something I'm not really warmed up to since Connext seems buggy for a lot of people). The 212X is going to be the quicker and better handling as it weighs less but has the same powerplant. So it all depends on if you want a boat that already has integrated bags or one that you could add bags on later if you want to surf or wakeboard. Most deals can be had in Feb or so when the boats shows are as they will be looking to entice people with deals or offers. That being said I'm sure the 2016's a dealer would be willing to work with you to help move it as the new 17's show up on their lot. Don't expect any of the dealers to give you a huge discount in price as Yamaha boats aren't like other boat brands where you can knock off a big chunk off the MSRP. So swag for your boat and toys to go along with it are items most of us get thrown in if the dealer is really wanting to sell you on a boat. Of the two boats, if money is no option and you're going to have the store them anyways, go with the Ar240 as its the best deal IMO.

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I don't understand the pricing of the new 212 lineup. I would immediately skip over them for the 24' boats. I would appreciate the room more than the nicer interior. It's not like the 240 interior is bad.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go bigger... I wish everyday that i bought a 24 foot boat

Emilio22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i would wheel and deal on a 2016 AR240 and have them upgrade the stereo and any other toys you may want. will probably come out ahead of the 21ft 2017.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
24ft most defiantly. We use our head compartment a lot and this is a must have on any boat that we buy from here on out. The room difference from the 21 ft boats to the 24ft boats are quite substantial. Even the size from my 23 footer to a new 24 footer is more. The bow of the 24ft has me sold. As for the small price that you will pay for adding ballast and speed control ( perfect pass ) to the Ar240 it is way more then enough for me to skip over the 212X.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1) 3 extra feet is a HUGE difference. More space, more storage, head compartment, handles bigger waves, etc

2) The changes to the 2017 24' models is minor so if I could get a better deal on the 2016 I would

3)We wake surf behind our AR240 but unless you add bags you can't go rope-less. Still fun! If I was going to wakesurf all the time a ballast system would be nice.

4)Are the added amenities worth it? IMO no. The Limited S was about $8000 more than my AR. I liked the extra speakers but nothing else really seemed needed.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A 2016 model will likely come with a free 4 year Yamaha warranty. Keep an eye on their website and be aware any Yamaha/corporate warranty incentives can change, but seems to be based on the end of the month (not always though).

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
24ft.
Get the 2016 242limited.
Nuff 'said.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Easily a 2016 AR240. The 212X would need nearly the same $ in upgrades to get to where you would want a water sports boat to be, and like you said, the 240 is already cheaper. Like others have said, the closet in the 24' boats makes a huge difference.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started looking at the 190 and ended up with a one year old AR240. The members here gave me some good advice, "Buy the biggest boat you can afford". I'm glad I did. The space on the boat fills up quicker than you think. In addition to ballast bags, there is someone here who developed an attachment to your stern that helps create a wake. I only got about $2K off of the MSRP with my 2013 AR240. And also make sure you ask if the boat is a CARB boat. Those boats have emission controls on them and limit the HP a little, not a lot. But the dealer won't disclose to you if your boat is a CARB boat unless you ask.

Welcome to the forum. You'll regret being here after others have convinced you to spend more and more money on your upgrades!:)

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
:Welcome:to the forum ! Sorry can't help ya with Yamaha specific questions . Sometimes bigger isn't always better . I could be wrong , but this sounds like it would be YOUR very first boat ? If so things to consider about size , since you mentioned trailering your boat to different lakes .
1 do you have tow vehicle capable to haul a bigger heavier boat
2 would you be comfortable hauling and launching a bigger boat
3 would you be comfortable maneuvering a bigger boat
4 launch sites you'll be using ? I.e. Shallow short ramps . I mention ramp sites due to our lack of rain this summer in western NY made my wife and I very happy with our 195. Water levels in our area lakes were down 26" or more !
Sometimes a smaller boat might just suit you better
Good luck on your quest for a brand new boat and the lifelong memories your family will have !:)

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased an AR 240 2 years ago and it was my first boat. It was a little difficult at first to tow,launch, drive ( at slow speeds) and just about everything else. However it is now the perfect boat for our friends and family. Get the bigger boat, you will not regret it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
24ft.
Get the 2016 242limited.
Nuff 'said.
I suppose you mean limited S. With the tower. But why? The upgrades from AR worth the money?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lastly, there are only 2-3 changes to the 24ft series, so is there any reason to wait until the boat show if I go that route or should I try to pick up remaining 2016 stock? I'm not sure when would be the better time to buy. Any guidance here?

Thank you again and excuse the rambling.
1. Welcome aboard. . . .
2. As in my $0.02 . . . . If you are not going to get any use in this season, wait til boat show season and negotiate on any left overs or get a deal on a 17'.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But also consider dealers love to clear existing inventory from their lots before the end of year

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Buy the biggest boat you can afford"
"Buy your second boat first"

GREAT advice!

OT - This advice does NOT apply to motorcycles. I know from personal experience.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You have lots of great advice here....one I'd repeat is .... do you have a tow vehicle to tow a heavier boat?

I bought a 242X because I didn't want to deal with adding all the extras myself....talking my wife into all that added spending on the old boat took me years....so I plunged in for all I could get at once! Perhaps not the most cost effective way to get a ballast loaded boat with an awesome tower, stereo, gps cruise control and super responsive throttles....but hey...you only live once and I'm not getting any younger!!!! :)

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:Welcome:to the forum ! Sorry can't help ya with Yamaha specific questions . Sometimes bigger isn't always better . I could be wrong , but this sounds like it would be YOUR very first boat ? If so things to consider about size , since you mentioned trailering your boat to different lakes .
1 do you have tow vehicle capable to haul a bigger heavier boat
2 would you be comfortable hauling and launching a bigger boat
3 would you be comfortable maneuvering a bigger boat
4 launch sites you'll be using ? I.e. Shallow short ramps . I mention ramp sites due to our lack of rain this summer in western NY made my wife and I very happy with our 195. Water levels in our area lakes were down 26" or more !
Sometimes a smaller boat might just suit you better
Good luck on your quest for a brand new boat and the lifelong memories your family will have !:)
I appreciate all of the feed back from everyone. More then I expected. BMF JK, this will actually be our 3rd boat and I've been all over the map. We had a 39ft Marinette cruiser for about 5 years while living in Michigan, but sold it when I was transferred to Northern Kentucky. Cruising up and down the Ohio River didn't appeal to us. We then purchased an old beat up 19.5 Bayliner from a neighbor that could barely stay afloat. We donated that after 2 years and it now been about a 15 year break. I have a '15 GMC Yukon with HD trailer tow package (8200 lbs capacity), so I don't believe towing would be an issue.

By the way, I am already seeing a couple dealers lowering pricing on the 16's as of yesterday and will probably get even better when the 17's show up at the dealers. Not sure when that occurs, but I believe I read October(?).

SierraWhiskey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You have lots of great advice here....one I'd repeat is .... do you have a tow vehicle to tow a heavier boat?

I bought a 242X because I didn't want to deal with adding all the extras myself....talking my wife into all that added spending on the old boat took me years....so I plunged in for all I could get at once! Perhaps not the most cost effective way to get a ballast loaded boat with an awesome tower, stereo, gps cruise control and super responsive throttles....but hey...you only live once and I'm not getting any younger!!!! :)
I didn't see your question when I responded to BMF JK above, but yes we have a Yukon with 8200lbs towing capacity, so we should be good on that front.