• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What type of oil and brand do you use?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What would you do if it came back not good ?
Depends on what you mean by not good.

If it was low on TBN I would change it earlier next time or switch to a different oil.

If it had contaminates like fuel or water in it, I would look at the fuel injection system or the head gasket.

If it was starting to show a trend of more and more metal in it, then I would know the bearings were starting to go out and I would be careful where I went and start saving for a rebuild.

It gives you a LOT of information. Attached is what they look like, I took out all my personal info.

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I send my oil to Blackstone, also. I was suspecting a sticky fuel injector and they confirmed it with a presence of fuel in the oil. They then confirmed I got it fixed after changing the injectors. Great service but don't expect them to tell you one oil is better than any other. They see only minor variations between all brands.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I send my oil to Blackstone, also. I was suspecting a sticky fuel injector and they confirmed it with a presence of fuel in the oil. They then confirmed I got it fixed after changing the injectors. Great service but don't expect them to tell you one oil is better than any other. They see only minor variations between all brands.
I got a report of fuel in my sample...they said not enough to worry about but maybe I have a sticking injector too. Did you have any other symptoms? Mine runs and starts just fine.

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a report of fuel in my sample...they said not enough to worry about but maybe I have a sticking injector too. Did you have any other symptoms? Mine runs and starts just fine.
I also had the same report of fuel. I've not done anything about it, and its not an alarming amount. One engine is worse than the other, dont recall which. Just something to keep an eye on in my case. Its not causing any wear.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The one engine just wasn't purring the way it usually does. I had a faint smell of unburned gas. Changing spark plugs and Sea Foam did not resolve the issue. The injector replacement did the job but wow, are those expensive.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is the report. I had more than 2%.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry I had to delete the report from the post. I just realized it had personal info on it. The report said I had 2% fuel and a high amount of sodium. The sodium was probably from the cheap siphon I used as it was not an issue the next time I checked.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The one engine just wasn't purring the way it usually does. I had a faint smell of unburned gas. Changing spark plugs and Sea Foam did not resolve the issue. The injector replacement did the job but wow, are those expensive.
So you replaced all four in that engine?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Big Shasta, yes all 4. If I recall correctly they were $115 a pop.
jetboater4life, Silly me. I don't think I even used the YDS to look at any trends or durations. I should have recorded some benchmarks to compare the two but never thought about it.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Royal purple for me !! I'm a big fan of royal purple !!

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@buckbuck did the YDS give you any info that corroborated the oil analysis?
I am very interested in this because one of my plugs on my port engine looked wet compared to the others. I posted a picture of it some where on here. My port engine will occasionally die at idle. Most of the time it starts right up but occasionally after a die at idle it has to crank over a few times. It always starts right up when cold. I'm going to do oil analysis and see if yds says anything.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am very interested in this because one of my plugs on my port engine looked wet compared to the others. I posted a picture of it some where on here. My port engine will occasionally die at idle. Most of the time it starts right up but occasionally after a die at idle it has to crank over a few times. It always starts right up when cold. I'm going to do oil analysis and see if yds says anything.
If you're in the middle of the timeframe for a change, you can just sample and not change. There is a spot for that on the form you fill out. Blackstone even sells a kit that samples right in into the bottle normally used via the dipstick should work fine for us.