• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do? <what boat to buy>

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok. Sold my last boat 15 years ago and have been itching to get back into another one. I've been out with my buddy (Dieselcamel on here) in his new Challenger 210 a couple times, and that was more than enough to convince me I need a jet boat in my life. Therein lies my dilemma. I have essentially narrowed it down to 2 options.

1. I can pickup a 2000 Yamaha LS2000 for fairly cheap. $6000. Cash money. Well sorted boat. Trailer needs a couple tires, but otherwise ready to go. Already converted to premix. In great shape through and through (from what I've been told/seen in pics). Will see in person tomorrow.

2. Orrrrrr... Already been approved for a 2014 SX190 Yamaha. $193/month, 0 down, great rate, blah blah blah. Super nice. I plan on going to check it out Saturday morning. It's essentially MSRP + tax out the door, including delivery, galvanized trailer, life vests, etc...

I guess my biggest issue is I'm not 100% sure I'd be happy with the SX190 forever...and even if so, I've got to think I'd get a much better deal at the end of the season. I'm thinking I could pay cash money for the LS now and enjoy it this year. Get a better feel for exactly what I need, and pick up a better deal at a boat show at the end of the season. Then, sell the LS at the beginning of next season and get all my money back out of it, if not a little more (assuming no repair costs between now and then). There again, if I settle for the LS now, I probably won't be inclined to take it many different places this year as I'll always be worried about making it back, and I've heard the deals don't get much better on a new Yammy.

Financially, I'd be ok with either option. Although, I'll have my only real credit card paid off by the end of the year, and might be inclined to go with a bit more boat if I feel like I need it after this season.

So, knowing what you all know now, what would you do?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
JMO... If I were not really sure I would be happy with a brand new boat for at least a few years, I think I might go for the used LS, mostly because of the deprecation hit the new one will undoubtedly take... Again JMO.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with JC. See if you love it, like it, or neither. If you love it sell and upgrade. If you like it, options are open. If you decide it's not for,your family, easy to sell with little lost.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you boat in fresh or salt water?

I would buy a used Yamaha somewhere between the price of the LS2000 and the SX190 getting a bigger boat for less money.

We bought a 2005 LX210 (fancy LS2000) in 2012 and sold her a year later to buy a larger SX230. The LX210 was a lot of fun, incredibly fast and reliable. Her oil system was intact and working reliably. We took her 11 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico to Ship Island twice and used her on our local lakes as much as three days a week. Being a two stroke, she smoked but much less than she would have if she had been converted to premix. Occasionally she would stall when slamming the throttles after sitting for a while. After restarting she would run fine. The Ls2000 has a 8" beam is 19'6" long and weighs in at 2100 pounds. She is rated for a load of 1300 pounds.

The SX190 has a 8' beam is 19'2" and weighs in at 2160 pounds. She is rated for a load of 1,240 pounds.

We upgraded to a 2007 SX230 with 30 hours. One member here picked up a similar boat for $18K last week. Another member here sold one for 50% more last year. The SX230 has a 8'6" beam and is 23' long. She is rated for a load of 1,800 pounds. She is bigger and slower but can handle a lot more guests and gear.

There are lots of four stroke 21, 23 and 24 foot Yamaha's available in the used market. Many are new enough to finance. Many are less expensive than the SX190.

The LX210 with a 40 gallon fuel tank has the shortest range, the SX230 has the longest range with a 50 gallon tank and the SX190 is the most fuel efficient and slowest.

You will enjoy any of these options.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tend to shop for boats as Bruce described. I feel the best bang for your buck lies in-between the LS and the 190.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I cannot disagree with either @Bruce or @itsdgm, I would just stay away from brand new, if you aren't sure about keeping it, I would think the depreciation of the new SX within 3 years, after adding taxes, freight, dealer set up /fees, and general depreciation to the purchase price would be enough to buy the LS you mentioned. Or at the very least to cover a nice down payment on a newer "used" model.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since you were turned on by your friends Challenger, I would go for the LS. Hot boat, loads of fun if you are comfortable with the 2-stroke motors....

It will probably be worth close to what you are paying for it in a year or two so think of it as essentially free rental until you decide....

Sometimes I still wish we had our LS-2000..... It was so much fun! BTW, we bought our 2000 LS in 2003 for $9K, put $550 into her, and sold her in 2005........for $9.5K

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree with Bruce... Go for a good newer used boat. Avoid under sizing your needs. This boats hold their resale value very well.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll probably be 90% fresh water.

I like the idea of newer used boat, but I don't know of any good financing options for used. My bank would do 3.5%, but only for 3 years, and I don't think I'm ready for that kind of payment.

I'm kinda leaning towards the LS for now, just because it is a cash deal and it's not gonna lose much value by the time I'm ready for more I don't think. Unless of course I find better financing on a used boat.

Thanks for all the replies,

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many passengers typically would you be hauling. There is the comfort consideration. Also is the person you are considering the LS purchase from part of this board or the yjb? Might want to back check issues history on that boat. Just saying informed buyer..happy buyer. Steve

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do you have any credit unions near you? Also a lot of dealers will offer in house financing.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How many passengers typically would you be hauling. There is the comfort consideration. Also is the person you are considering the LS purchase from part of this board or the yjb? Might want to back check issues history on that boat. Just saying informed buyer..happy buyer. Steve
Typically 4, maybe more at first. And no, I don't believe so. Found the boat on the local craigslist. From him """
I have no idea how many hours are on motors. The boat was converted to pre mix before I owned it. I don't know if that was before or after he had to change a motor. There are some stress cracks on the boat near the back cleat. The dealership near by said they could be buffed out with some compound. The boat was maintenance in the fall and has been on the water multiple times already this spring. It is ready to go. The tires are in need of replacement but still hold air (dry rot). Ive got a good offer from the boat dock marine for a trade in on a pontoon which I plan to take. I'm guessing that deal will take a week or a little more. If you would like to come see it it won't be around for long. I will come off the price some but only in person. I can put it in the water here @ my house for test drive. Thanks for looking """

Do you have any credit unions near you? Also a lot of dealers will offer in house financing.
I'm sure there are, though I've never dealt with them. I may call one up. If I buy used, I imagine it won't be from a dealer.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek. As you can see you've come to the right place for information and ideas. I agree with @Bruce that a used SX230 would be a good compromise and would keep you happy for many years but only you have a handle on your finances. Either way you will get all the support you want here, before and after whatever you decide to purchase. Either way...go for it. :thumbsup:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd go with a used four stroke Yamaha, either the an '06 or '07 230. It should be close to $18K or three times the cost of the LS you are considering. The reasons being that the engines are more modern (no premixing required), are easy to maintain and have a great reliability record. You also get more boat for the money, 3 to 4 feet of boat is not something you can add later. The '07s and up come with a head compartment/closet so I would expect to pay more for that but it would still be a lot less than a new 190. .

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My experience is every time I settle for something I'm disappointed down the road. Do it right the first time.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
He said you could buff out the stress cracks???:rolleyes:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stress cracks are not going to buff out. Not a big deal as long as they are only in the gelcoat. The gelcoat can be replaced.

I bought a LX210 in 2012 and similar to Magic sold her for what I paid for plus what I had invested in her a year later. I also miss how much fun the smaller boat was.

But if I went back to a smaller boat I would be missing the capacity of the larger boat. And I really do not miss worrying about when the 2 stroke engines were going to need a rebuild!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How are the MR-1 engines? They holding up well?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My experience is every time I settle for something I'm disappointed down the road. Do it right the first time.
I'm for that. Old boats tend to have trouble. Making for some bad days on the water. Not much worse than that imho. Plus tight small boats with lots of people make for mental scars that take a long time to recover from..o_O.Up front cost and immediate delight for a long time hassle free with room to grow or settle? Or its pretty good when it runs..and for how long till I'm working on it?
I have been in both places. Immediate and hassle free are much better. To me anyway. Best of luck in any case.