• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do? <what boat to buy>

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm all for the do it once/do it right...but if I stick with that mantra and maintain my financial responsibility, I'll be waiting until next year for a boat. I've got that one credit card to get rid of, and I have a $41,000 toolbox that will be paid off by the end of the year...which would free up alot of capital to get the one I want.

But...dam I'm tired of waiting, lol. Just found an 04 AR210 with around 70 hours that's simply gorgeous. Nicely priced too. (gauges don't work...looks like that's pretty common with these?) Also found another LS2000 for 5K. All I do is look at boats for sale all day...I gotta pick up something. I need to stick with the cash deal...I know I do. But boy is it tough seeing some of these. Found an SX230 for 14K...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$14k for an sx 230 especially for one with the ho (160 hp/1,052 cc engines).

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"Found an SX230 for 14K..."

Ahhh, all that glitters is not gold grasshopper. Stick with your plan. We'd like to see you in an SX230 but the time is not right for you. It's easier to spend what you don't have, then to loose what you don't own. We will be shipmates with whatever you get.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could do what I did which is buy the smaller boat (LS2000) and prove that you have enough time to warrant the larger boat. That is not a bad problem to have and you could even keep the LS/LX and buy a second boat later. I know some people that went to big and ended up selling. I wanted a waverrunner (x2) that could pull a skiier/wakeboard so I went with a small LX. It is a perfect 5 person alternative. They do require maintenance like a lawnmower but the good news is that the maintenance is as easy as a lawnmower.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FYI - Essex Credit offers used boat loans for boats as old 6 as years from the current calendar year. The interest rate is a little higher and the term varies depending on how much you borrow but the minimum term is 10 years I think and there are no early payment penalties. I was debating whether to go new or used but even at Yahama's low rate for a new boat I was much better off total cost of ownership wise going used.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It takes a LOT of discipline to remain financially responsible, but the rewards can be grand if you stick to your plan. . . . I applaud your efforts here thus far.

I was saving for my recent purchase for nearly 5 Years. . . and I just bought my 2014 AR240HO CASH.

I too needed to scratch that itch of having SOME boat, since we live on a lake. So prior to my recent purchase I came across a great deal on a little 2000 Sea-Doo Sportster LE that I bought for $4K. It came with a trailer that had new bearings, and an EZ Port 4 Dry Dock system. While I was recently put through the ringer as a result of a negligent mechanic repair, I was able to recoup $2880 in a judgement. Combined with selling the boat for scrap at $1000 and trading the EZ Port at $800 for new EZ Dock I wound up clearing $4700.00

All the while I was able to use the boat for the past 5 years and only spent $1300 in registration, usage costs, minor repairs, tunes, winterization, etc. . . Which combined with a $4k Purchase price my TCO was $5300. So net net I basically rented the boat for $600 out of pocket for the last 5 years and now I own my new boat free and clear.

Stay patient my friend, and use your head to make the decision. . . . not your emotions. You already know the right thing to do.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm all for purchasing the LS you have listed above. Sounds like a great deal and you will have a lot of fun with it while you determine how much your family likes boating. The best part is that you will not take out a loan.

and we can't forget to say!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've stated my recommendation based on the hassles I've had with two stoke powered boats and have purchased many boats and pwcs out right and only financed two boats. The financing is there if you want to use it and there are arguments for using someone else's money if he cost of capital is low and you can make more by investing you cash elsewhere.

However, I sold my previous YJB which was paid off and took a loan out to buy my current YJB. My payment is less than $150 a month. I have degrees in finance, business administration and law so by education I know I should keep this on credit as long as I can. Contradicting all o the above I'm trying to pay my boat off as soon as I can (probably two years) because when all is said and done I enjoy the boating and boat ownership more when there isn't any debt associated with it. Long after the new boat feel leaves the monthly payments will continue. It's a hell of a wake up call to get 10 to 15 years of payment coupons from your lender sometimes before you even get the boat in the water for the first time.

Unless you have to have a newer four stroke I would not recommend taking out a loan and risk being being boat poor for a recreational boat of any kind. Plus there are a lot more expenses associated with owning a boat than just the monthly payment.

If I could do it over again I would just hold onto to the paid off boat I already had since in effect I don't own my current boat I co own it with a bank which in someways has a stronger ownership interest than I do. Not a good feeling.

Last edited:

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a free and clear used 2001 19ft Stingray for 6 years, purchased for 12K right before 2008 crash when boats were being sold by people who were over extended for extra cash. AND I traded it in last year for the same money I bought it for! That's unusual, but I put plenty of money into it in maintenance and upgrades over those 6 years too. So by no means did I "break even" :)

I don't like debt, that being said, at 1.9 - 2.9%, I don't mind a loan. Like Ronnie, I will pay mine off MUCH faster than the term, but I like to have cash reserves and cash working for me.

My suggestion, if you've never had a boat, is to get a used boat first, it is a learning process. You'll learn what you do and don't want in a boat, and you'll end up making mistakes that could make you sick on a brand new boat. I really enjoyed that Stingray, but I wanted something that was better riding and had more room, the 242 LS did that for me. I didn't buy used because I couldn't find any around here for substantially less than new. I took a bath on that first year depreciation, but I know what I have and how its been taken care of and that I'll keep it a long time. Sometimes that's worth it, sometimes it isn't. The jury is still out for me on that. I probably should have waited to find a well cared for used boat, but it isn't the end of the world for me to lose that first year depreciation. If you aren't sure you'll have time to boat, or that you'll enjoy it that much, definitely buy used, because the depreciation between years 2-10 of a new boat is much less than 1-2. I'd say it's only "worth it" if you know you'll use it, enjoy it, and keep it a while and the loss of 5-10K that first year won't destroy you financially if you had to sell it.

In any case, best of luck!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok. I'm set on an LS2000 now (thanks much for everyone's input)

With that said, I've narrowed it down to 2. First is the 2000 model I mentioned earlier. Asking $6600. Already on pre-mix (which is a detractor for me, I'd rather replace the lines and keep it like it came). Trailor tires are going to need replaced. Supposedly ready to go otherwise, and seems like a stand up guy. The other one is a 2001 model and he just lowered it to $5000. The guy claims he is selling for his boss? 2 cushions are tearing at the seams, but otherwise supposed to be well sorted. He tried to tell me something (he really doesn't have a clue) that I translated into "he had a compression test done", but said he thought he said 158 on one, 151 on the other... I don't know. Dude is weird, but I'm leaning towards that one anyway. The oil injection system is still in place, it's on the water now and ready to go. Trailer is supposed to be ready as well. The upholstery work doesn't scare me (should it?). I've got a buddy that does auto interiors and my wife is pretty crafty. I plan on replacing all the oil lines immediately, especially since our weather is shit this weekend. I really think I'm going home with this one. Leaves me money for cobra steering, upholstery, and whatever else I find I need real soon.

So, final, easy question for this thread - what size ball you think this trailer might take? I keep a 2 5/16"s on my truck at all times now for my car trailer. I'm guessing the boat will probably only take a 2"? Hopefully make a new thread tomorrow with my new boat!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
2" ball I have an 01 with the galvanized shore lander that's what it used.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If you have a compression testing gauge I would defiantly check it, only takes a few mins. Pull the tether key before you do the test, also if you do buy it an need some interior pieces , there are quite a few cushions and such listed on eBay, I bought a couple small pieces for mine on there..good luck..,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may want to rethink replacing the oil lines @veedubtek. Current wisdom is that the oil lines WILL fail causing an engine melt down. That's why many have switched to premix. Some of you two stroke guys, past or present, may want to chime in here.

Here is a quote from Steve Price. Steve has a lot of knowledge with the Yamaha two strokes.
"This really applies to 2-stroke boat owners, but some people may not know what type of engine their boat has.
If you own an Exciter, an LS 2000, LX 2000, XR 1800, or older AR 210; you may have a ticking time bomb!
The oil lines that supply oil to the carburetors are falling off of these engines in record numbers. The plastic material that Yamaha originally used for this has a tendency to shrink over time. To make matters worse, the lines are secured with ordinary tie-wraps. These loosen over time, and will allow the hose to slip off of it's fitting when the hose shrinks. The result is ENGINE FAILURE!

There are two ways to resolve this problem:

The oil pump can be removed and replaced with a blockoff plate. You must then mix oil with your fuel. Should you decide to do this, make sure you pre-mix the oil and run the boat to get the fuel/oil mix into the engines prior to removing the existing oil system.

The second option is to replace the oil lines with better material and secure them with better clamps or safety wire. There are several materials that are rated for use with oil, including urethane and Tygon.

There are pros & cons to both solutions. There has been a lot of discussion about this, and I urge you to do a search in the 2-stroke section to determine the best method of updating your boat.

The bottom line is this: if nothing is done to your oil system, IT WILL FAIL! YOU MUST ACT NOW!"

This is in no way trying to scare you away from the two stroke just trying to pass on some useful information.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
From everything I have been told, and all of the reading I have done on this problem, it has to do with the original / factory oil lines and clamps / zip ties , if you decide to replace the lines use a high quality ureathane line and stainless steel clamps or stainless steel safety wire to secure the lines, you can find a pre made kit at islandracing.com if you decide to go that way, I think there are a few other kits available as well..

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had an exciter 270 first. We wanted to try this whole "boating" thing. Awesome boat, but too small for the family, and too rough in the waves. If we had gotten an LS2000, we may still be in it! The move to the bigger 4 stroke boats was a very large welcome due to the smoothness of the ride for my kids. Missing the speed though :(
I say go with what you can buy cash.
As for the lines, you can get 2 stroke fuel line from a local shop, and put new zip ties on them. Zip ties are perfect as they aren't so small they will cut the lines, and no, they won't come off, at least for a LONG time.
I stuck a new line on a NAIL, smooth end, put a zip tie on it, used side cutters to give it that extra twist, and snap it off (proper way to put it on) and I can easily hold 50 lbs with it not slipping off the nail. Haven't tried more, that's just what I had laying there with a weight stamped on it. So the real issue with the original lines is that they dried up and cracked, and someone put the zip ties on quick by hand and that's it.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, apparently I'm too OCD for a $5000 boat. Thanks to @DieselCamel for spoiling me.

Actually, the 5k guy flaked on me this morning, so I went and checked out the $6600 one. Super nice guy, and knew a whole lot more about the boat than I thought. Took us out on the lake (45 degrees and raining...brrr). Showed me more than I ever cared to know really, even after I expressed my disinterest. Went on and on pointing out different things I should be looking for as I continue my search. Good running boat, moves out really nice. Needed a serious cleaning, and the upholstery just didn't match. Not horribly, but new upholstery on the rear and faded on the front. Drove me nuts. Decals showed their age. Lots of stress cracks all over the gel coat, nothing serious, but it bugged me. I don't know. I was expecting nice nice. Or, at least something I could make nice without too much effort. I've already got 3 project cars in various stages of restoration/modification, the boat just needs to be my nice weekend getaway. I'd need to totally restore this thing to get it up to my standards, and that's just not what I want right now.

So, I'm undecided what I'm looking for now. Gotta google my weekend away and see what else I can come up with.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have found your first impression, and your gut feeling is usually the rite one, so keep searching. I'm not sure where you are located, but I saw a few ls2000's on eBay in the last few days, good luck!!!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have a few days. It's not going to be 80 till Friday