• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you give up to live on the water?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D I'm not sure what all is in your area but another option to consider is a waterfront community not necessarily a water front home. A lot of these will offer boat storage and boats ramps and docks some will have a private marina for its owners these typically give you the best of both worlds. I have owned in one before and just put an offer in on a lot in another that comes with a deeded boat slip with a lift on site but my house would be one row back from the water saving me probably $200,000 dollars but my boat will literally be a few hundred yard walk from the house in a slip and I still have ICW views from the front porch.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Bill D I'm not sure what all is in your area but another option to consider is a waterfront community not necessarily a water front home. A lot of these will offer boat storage and boats ramps and docks some will have a private marina for its owners these typically give you the best of both worlds. I have owned in one before and just put an offer in on a lot in another that comes with a deeded boat slip with a lift on site but my house would be one row back from the water saving me probably $200,000 dollars but my boat will literally be a few hundred yard walk from the house in a slip and I still have ICW views from the front porch.
I live by a strict no HOA policy. EVER.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys are great! You all have brought up a bunch of things that I didn't think about...

@haknslash & @DBamaC, I have been talking with work about some opportunities around the company and relocation has come up. Talking with the wife, we decided that whether we relocate or stay in Tuscaloosa, we are finding a place on the water.
@John McLaughlin Our main hobbies are boating and traveling. No kids, and way too far from retiring. The main attraction of lake living is being able to use our boat on more than just weekends. We'd love to be able to come home from work and hop on the boat for a quick cruise.
@PEARCE What maintenance headaches could I be missing? I hadn't thought about the expense of maintaining a sea wall or bulkhead, and it not being covered by insurance.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't think I would give up financial flexibility. The cost of living on the water here is easy 4-5 times for my same home, not including flood insurance I would have to pay, which would probably be starting in the 4k range. However I have been told 2 hours north you can get a few acres for under 100k on the rivers/springs. Tempting to look into at slowly build a home.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hate the HOA. Almost as much as the city ordinances. But, if the HOA provided something, like a neighborhood pool, that would save me from having to have something of my own, I could live with it. For a very small amount. Lol

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Between water level changes that can be devastating, and a potential for unwanted company, we stopped thinking about it - at least around here, on a river.
--
@swatski Speaking of changes in water level, I noted that your signature pic was taken on Lake Meade (talk about fluctuating water levels). Reservoir lakes in AZ are always changing levels. As far as I know there is no lake property anywhere in Arizona, unless you want to run a paddle boat around a urban lake, 6 feet deep. I’m not leaving AZ.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
$400K
:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:[flag][flag][flag][flag]

In Panama City Beach that will get you a 1950's 2 bedroom 1000sq' on a 1/4 acre lot.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I hate the HOA. Almost as much as the city ordinances. But, if the HOA provided something, like a neighborhood pool, that would save me from having to have something of my own, I could live with it. For a very small amount. Lol
Only thing worse than a HOA is living in a historic district.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
$400K
:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:[flag][flag][flag][flag]

In Panama City Beach that will get you a 1950's 2 bedroom 1000sq' on a 1/4 acre lot.
In Cape Coral: 2500 sq.ft. 1982 updated ranch sailboat ready canal home 3-4 bed 2 bath 2 car garage, dock with lift, quick Gulf/barrier island access (Sanibel, Captiva, Cayo Costa) no winter, world class inshore/offshore fishing, large city amenities. Google Cape Coral, Zillow

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
480k can get you 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 6,600 sq ft, swimming pool and deep waterfront access on one of the main branches of the lake. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/112752329_zpid/globalrelevanceex_sort/32.858176,-86.440001,32.796943,-86.532269_rect/13_zm/
Not my style, but that really is a good price on that property given how few homes are ever available on Mitchell. Maybe I should buy it and rent out the mother-in-law suite...

This is getting into the price range/value that I think I might be up for someday.
https://www.lakehomes.com/alabama/lake-mitchell/258-cottage-dr-rockford-al-35136-lhrmls-00293745?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcibweit2gIVkzyBCh0bwg4JEAAYASAAEgJmefD_BwE
https://www.lakehomes.com/alabama/lake-mitchell/258-cottage-dr-rockford-al-35136-lhrmls-00293745?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcibweit2gIVkzyBCh0bwg4JEAAYASAAEgJmefD_BwE

Now I just need to get rid of the kids.

Last edited:

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't mean that house was one I would own. Just saying for the price that's what you can get ;)

Of course a few houses down on the point a home goes for 1.something million and less square footage. All in what you're looking for.

Me personally I'd be fine with an old school A-frame lake home/cabin.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No offense but I like the Gulf :):jimlad:
My folks had a place at Perdido Key, FL for several years. It's nice but there is no escaping the heat and the traffic during peak tourism/summer sucks ass. Can't go anywhere without it taking an hour.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not my style, but that really is a good price on that property given how few homes are ever available on Mitchell. Maybe I should buy it and rent out the mother-in-law suite...

This is getting into the price range/value that I think I might be up for someday.

Now I just need to get rid of the kids.
We roll by those homes quite a bit when on the lake. They are nice if you don't mind being right next to someone. Me personally I'd want some space since we were spoiled by the huge lot my grandparents had on Ware Island. Yea it wasn't the nicest but it was a cabin we could escape to, shoot guns, tear up the trails on 4wheelers and dirt bikes, cut grass on big Ford or Deere tractors and deck blades, watch airplanes land (and chase them like an idiot) on the island runway pretty much do whatever you wanted. Of course these days it would need to have a covered boat lift, dock and all that but give me a cabin off the beaten path any day of the week! Sad to see it in todays age. It was bought out decades ago by the Dr. who bought up most of the property on the island because he thinks God created it for him so now he just lets the homes deteriorate away so he can claim the land to himself :(

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash & @DBamaC, I have been talking with work about some opportunities around the company and relocation has come up. Talking with the wife, we decided that whether we relocate or stay in Tuscaloosa, we are finding a place on the water.
Well I would hate to see y'all go :(. I enjoy hanging out with y'all but if you move I wish y'all the best wherever you choose. With y'all not having kids it should make relocation and living on the water an easier decision than if you had kids. Not sure if y'all ever plan to have little curtain climbing critters like some of us one day but if there is a glimmer of possibility I would say you will want to consider that when choosing a lake home. Many are rural as you know unless its in Ttown so the school systems are usually not that great out in the country. Then again with the way this country is going it might make the best sense to keep them out of the city schools :D. Just something to keep in mind. Hope to see yall soon enough so I can at least give you back your ballast and pump :D

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My folks had a place at Perdido Key, FL for several years. It's nice but there is no escaping the heat and the traffic during peak tourism/summer sucks ass. Can't go anywhere without it taking an hour.
That's why I live in PCB, "Redneck Riviera"

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
One thing about living on the water...you will have many relaxing quite days HOWEVER keep in mind that many people live on the water to KEEP THE PARTY GOING and it can get crazy. I live in a PARTY town but newbies move there and if you didn't prepare for it, loud all nighter parties can drive you nuts! This is my back yard.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One thing about living on the water...you will have many relaxing quite days HOWEVER keep in mind that many people live on the water to KEEP THE PARTY GOING and it can get crazy. I live in a PARTY town but newbies move there and if you didn't prepare for it, loud all nighter parties can drive you nuts! This is my back yard.
Is that you in your boat? :):)