• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you give up to live on the water?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I need to move to some of your areas! Here $40oK gets you a 1/4 acre lot with an hoa and no water access or veiw lol. The water starts around $650K here to be on the ICW or river and that is usually is a fixer upper unless I want to be on the river about 20 miles away from the ICW then its about $400K starting but comes with serious flooding issues.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man I need to move to some of your areas! Here $40oK gets you a 1/4 acre lot with an hoa and no water access or veiw lol. The water starts around $650K here to be on the ICW or river and that is usually is a fixer upper unless I want to be on the river about 20 miles away from the ICW then its about $400K starting but comes with serious flooding issues.
There is a big price range here from about $450k with a community doc to $8Mill... about 20% of the homes are 2nd homes. The town is Discovery Bay CA on the Northern CA Delta if you want to google it , about and 1.5 hrs from SF .... and these 2 video clip is what pretty much sums up RELAXING and that its a party town in the surrounding islands
(called SKI BEACH, lots of videos...sorry for the horrible music )

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@PEARCE What maintenance headaches could I be missing? I hadn't thought about the expense of maintaining a sea wall or bulkhead, and it not being covered by insurance.
He'd already had his bulkhead built many years ago. What I was referring to was what happened a couple years ago when a bad storm came through and tore up his dock to where it had to be replaced. He couldn't replace it like it was because of laws dictated be the Corp of Engineers. Also his insurance would only pay so much and the rest was out of his pocket. It was in the thousands. No damage occurred to his house, but the wind and waves did a number on the dock.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, whoever controls your water controls you. Kinda sucks. e.g.- they dropped the lake first week of january this year without warning. Boat caught ground first, ripped my pier off it's foundation. So, I had to pay $100 to transfer my "lease" on the dock. Then $65 yearly renewal fee. Then $250 repair permit application. And THEN pay someone to build me a new pier. Kinda sucked. Insurance LOL'd at me when I asked them for any help. Seawall was repaired before closing, but it's an added expense. Wood in water just don't last forever. I'm now looking at some repairs to my floater so I can add jet ski docks. It's definitely alot different than my beater house - which is just your typical modern cookie cutter subdivision home that just never seems to need anything.

It's worth it see this from your couch though...

IMG_20180304_072953.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's definitely alot different than my beater house - which is just your typical modern cookie cutter subdivision home that just never seems to need anything.
Hah! I guess they build them differently where you are. I live in one of those cookie cutter garden home neighborhoods and I've had to constantly repair this house for all the crap workmanship. Home was built in 2oo0 but apparently built by idiots just looking to build the home and move onto the next asap. It was/is our first home so you live and you learn but one thing is for sure you learn what to look out for on next go around.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nah, I probably just haven't had it long enough yet! Mine wasn't lived in until I bought it in 2010, so a couple more years and I'm sure it'll likely crumble. State is gonna buy it and tear it down first though, so it doesn't even matter. It's definitely earned the term "beater house".

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My wife and I went from a 3200 sq/ft 5 bedroom 4 bath new house to a 2000 sq/ft 3 bed 2 bath on the lake. Our "new" house was built in 83, has some issues and every mechanical device is on it's last legs. Did I mention the lake house was twice the cost?! It's all worth it though when we can come home on a weekday and have a sunset cruise or fish, just watch our son jump in the water. I'm never going back.