• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

whats stock radio and fire extenguisher?

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys,
I have a 2014 L/S
Got looking at the forum's and the boat and noticed some odd...
First off, there is no fire extenquisher in the boat. What kind of dealer would send me out without one.
So .. any pics of where it should be mounted.. i know inside the helm compartment.. but not sure where to be out of the way. and what size. a 10?

Also what are the stock radio's with the 2014. I have a cmd6, but all the reading i can do i think it should be a cmd8, with integrated bluetooth. I asked the dealer waiting their response on that.

Was going to broach the fire extinguisher after that.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha doesn't sell these boats with a extinguisher. Some dealers add it as a 'dealer-prep' item, but most don't, so unless you got them to include it in the deal you are on your own. I mounted mine in the compartment just opposite the driver's seat for ease of accessibility, which is what most water patrol agencies are looking for. So I would recommend mounting it where you can get to easy/quick.

I can't comment on the head unit model that's standard, but someone with a 242 LS can chime in... Mine came with the CDM7, but it's a 210.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha doesn't sell these boats with a extinguisher. Some dealers add it as a 'dealer-prep' item, but most don't, so unless you got them to include it in the deal you are on your own. I mounted mine in the compartment just opposite the driver's seat for ease of accessibility, which is what most water patrol agencies are looking for. So I would recommend mounting it where you can get to easy/quick.

I can't comment on the head unit model that's standard, but someone with a 242 LS can chime in... Mine came with the CDM7, but it's a 210.
MANY 2015 Yamaha boats come WITH Factory supplied Fire Extinguishers.

But let's go easy with this. The Factory-supplied unit is a small(er) Fire Ext. GOOD ones simply do not cost very much.
SO ... visit Wally World and get something that satisfies you. And enjoy the day ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was reading my owners manual and it said mine came w 2 one bow and stern ... It said 2 were needed for coastal waters , I also have 2 clear stickers that say fire extinguisher inside. Yet I only found one on my boat rolling around w the table legs lol. So I mounted it next to battery , I used one of the L bracket supports to hold down the bracket for it ..

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
yamaha spec'ed your boat for two extinguishers, just like the spec a 242 for 2 batteries, but Yamaha does not supply these, the dealer does. On early boats, the fire ext. was in a container in the starboard combing pocket, just aft of the throttles and cupholder. In later boats, Yamaha removed the container and installed a second cupholder there. But these are dealer installed items. Sometimes dealers forget to put them in, other times they do it deliberately. I don't know the percentage of dealers that do or don't, but it is not a guarantee that those items will be there. When you buy your boat, before you sign, you should specify you want all equipment to make it legal in your waters...life jackets (if you don't say vests, your likely going to get the orange mae west jackets and they won't give you enough to make the boat legal for full occupancy), fire ext., whistle or horn and a throwable preserver/cushion. Other dealers will give you a "starter kit" or "coast guard package". But if you don't ask, don't assume it is included. It is a nice package that Yamaha put together as an option, and sells for about $200, and includes...
Four U.S. Coast Guard Approved/UL Listed PFDs that are adjustable-fit most adults (sizes small to large)
One approved Type IV throwable flotation device
One 3.5 oz air horn
One easy-to-pack first aid kit
Two black 24½" Boat Contour Fenders
Two No-Slip™ Fender Straps (shown attached to cleats not included)
Four white 15' dock lines
Nylon case for storage

But you will still need the fire extinguisher and an anchor of some kind if it too wasn't included. A single fire extinguisher would be mounted in the helm compartment to the right, just inside the door. The secondary in the battery compartment. The Yamaha anchor is too light and not a good anchor unless it is calm water and not too much wind, for the 24' boats, really not for any of these except for maybe the 19's.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was reading my owners manual and it said mine came w 2 one bow and stern ... It said 2 were needed for coastal waters , I also have 2 clear stickers that say fire extinguisher inside. Yet I only found one on my boat rolling around w the table legs lol. So I mounted it next to battery , I used one of the L bracket supports to hold down the bracket for it ..
Same here. In conversations with 2 Yamaha dealers, they confirmed that it is Yamaha's INTENTION (at least on 2015 24-footers, and most like many/most others) for the Fire Ext to be ON BOARD at time of delivery.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine came with a tiny one...I used it to extinguish a cigarette someone was smoking before boarding...then I went and bought a real one! :rolleyes:

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What
yamaha spec'ed your boat for two extinguishers, just like the spec a 242 for 2 batteries, but Yamaha does not supply these, the dealer does. On early boats, the fire ext. was in a container in the starboard combing pocket, just aft of the throttles and cupholder. In later boats, Yamaha removed the container and installed a second cupholder there. But these are dealer installed items. Sometimes dealers forget to put them in, other times they do it deliberately. I don't know the percentage of dealers that do or don't, but it is not a guarantee that those items will be there. When you buy your boat, before you sign, you should specify you want all equipment to make it legal in your waters...life jackets (if you don't say vests, your likely going to get the orange mae west jackets and they won't give you enough to make the boat legal for full occupancy), fire ext., whistle or horn and a throwable preserver/cushion. Other dealers will give you a "starter kit" or "coast guard package". But if you don't ask, don't assume it is included. It is a nice package that Yamaha put together as an option, and sells for about $200, and includes...
Four U.S. Coast Guard Approved/UL Listed PFDs that are adjustable-fit most adults (sizes small to large)
One approved Type IV throwable flotation device
One 3.5 oz air horn
One easy-to-pack first aid kit
Two black 24½" Boat Contour Fenders
Two No-Slip™ Fender Straps (shown attached to cleats not included)
Four white 15' dock lines
Nylon case for storage

But you will still need the fire extinguisher and an anchor of some kind if it too wasn't included. A single fire extinguisher would be mounted in the helm compartment to the right, just inside the door. The secondary in the battery compartment. The Yamaha anchor is too light and not a good anchor unless it is calm water and not too much wind, for the 24' boats, really not for any of these except for maybe the 19's.
what siZe anchor fits inside the locker ? Mine is about 1 1/2 to wide....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yamaha's anchor fits. But it doesn't hold the boat. Best bet, take measurements, alter the stock on a fluke anchor that is larger and heavier that will fit otherwise...Forget a box thinker, like many of us used, and keep in pad The anchor locker, and keep it folded inside it hooked up and ready to go otherwise. Some guys keep it assembled and under a valve seat, but I am not in favor of that.

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha's anchor fits. But it doesn't hold the boat. Best bet, take measurements, alter the stock on a fluke anchor that is larger and heavier that will fit otherwise...Forget a box thinker, like many of us used, and keep in pad The anchor locker, and keep it folded inside it hooked up and ready to go otherwise. Some guys keep it assembled and under a valve seat, but I am not in favor of that.
Ok , I'll just cut mine down ! Thx :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Be sure to retreat the ends of the stock, after you cut them off, with cold zinc rich galvanizing spray. You can get it at a paint store or at a home center. And retreat the entire anchor if you notice any rust or on a galvanized trailer too.

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Be sure to retreat the ends of the stock, after you cut them off, with cold zinc rich galvanizing spray. You can get it at a paint store or at a home center. And retreat the entire anchor if you notice any rust or on a galvanized trailer too.
Ok I will pick a can up of that , is it need for both salt water and fresh water ?

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2015 212x came with several placards indicating that a fire extinguisher was "inside" but there were none installed.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok I will pick a can up of that , is it need for both salt water and fresh water ?
It is needed if you cut the ends off of a galvanized steel round stock...it will rust once the zinc is removed in fresh or salt water.

Keith Andoos

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My SX 230HO came with a small extinguisher recessed behind the throttle controls. I bought a set of Kidd (white color) fire extinguishers at West Marine. The dealer is not responsible for your safety, you are. And forget about the police check, you want to be able to extinguish a fire first and foremost! I've seen boat fires, they are NOT PRETTY!