• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

when to do the carbon seal?

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Scarab 195. I got it new in 2020. i thought about doing a new carbon seal over the winter. The new update in the skis has a bigger hat and a spring around the boot. the one on my boat is not that. Thoughts on doing it now?

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Scarab 195. I got it new in 2020. i thought about doing a new carbon seal over the winter. The new update in the skis has a bigger hat and a spring around the boot. the one on my boat is not that. Thoughts on doing it now?
What are your problems with the current one?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
No reason unless it starts to leak. I wouldn't bother until then which could be many, many years. My 2015 165 is going strong after over 260h. Even the official Rotax maintenance schedule only indicates to inspect it periodically. You should only have to replace it if there's an issue.

Canesfan1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
My port side went out at 140ish hours. 2019 255 open. I would do it if you have any doubts.

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
As far as i understand the problem, the seal isn't likly to fail, as long as the engine-alignment is perfect, so this is a very critical point.
So if everything is okay, i wouldn't touch it.

correct me, if i'm wrong.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
As far as i understand the problem, the seal isn't likly to fail, as long as the engine-alignment is perfect, so this is a very critical point.
So if everything is okay, i wouldn't touch it.

correct me, if i'm wrong.
You're not wrong. But I'll add that it also depends if the boat was ran out of water for long periods of time. No matter how good the alignment is, if you run it too long out of water, you will overheat it which can cause premature failure.

But if the alignment is good and you're following proper "run out of water" procedures, then there's no reason to replace it. If, as @Canesfan1 indicated, you have doubts about your carbon ring, aka, you've ran the boat out of water for long periods of time because you didn't know... then it depends. But I still wouldn't replace it unless it's leaking. If it isn't leaking, there is no damage to it.

jack s

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 G
Boat Length
Just adding into this I’ve got a scarab 195 and it needs its c clip replacing and the whole carbon seal. To get to it do you need to remove the cat?