• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Where are the other HULL identification plates located on the SX230?

finnrigged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my drive about 2 hours north of town to purchase a second SX230. Any idea where the second and or third VIN plates or hull identification numbers are located on these boats so I can verify they are all the same? The 2007 that I bought look like it was almost just a sticker on the rear right of the boat. Bringing my inspection camera along with me so that I can stick it inside small holes to look for the Vin badge

the only one I know of is stamped below the rear rub rail, I believe on the starboard side,

the only one I know of is stamped below the rear rub rail, I believe on the starboard side,
Agree, I believe this is an international standard, at least state side.

I know on the Yamaha waverunners they have the one on the rear swim platform but they also hide one up underneath the cowling inside the ski above the gas tank riveted to the fiberglass. I'm sure this is because of the theft and or fade factor on both the Vin badge and so that someone can't just steal your only record of your VIN plate. There must be one hidden on this boat somewhere else but??

“The duplicate hull identification number must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of
the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.”
Not sure where this is.

56219518-E849-4AD9-A929-912678C32BAE.jpeg

1F4B0CA0-C72F-4EBC-9A7E-0D209EBAFF8C.jpeg

sounds like a job we should have asked @Ronnie to do as he was cutting up his boat,

[USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] could we ask our contacts at yamaha where this second location is ??

sounds like a job we should have asked @Ronnie to do as he was cutting up his boat,

[USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] could we ask our contacts at yamaha where this second location is ??
I don’t recall seeing another VIN number on the 2017 ar 240 I disassembled other than the one on the stern. The same is true of my current 2010 242 LS.

Okay thank you All for the answers and info. I just bought an absolute disaster looking 2008 SX240 this afternoon. About a year and a half ago I guess The lake came up and beat this boat apart piece by piece in the boat house and destroyed the boathouse as well. There's a hole in the bottom so big you can see right straight through the boat from the back side to the front. Everything on the top of the boat was smashed to death and there's holes everywhere in the sides. Bought it for the dual axle aluminum trailer for 3,500 and then when I pulled the spark plugs later today the cylinders were clean inside except for a little bit of water standing in one cylinder on each of the motors. Hot wired it with jumper cables to the positive on the starter and down to the block and it cranked over freely spitting the water out. Spray it each cylinder down really well with WD-40 until I can get back to it next week. Looks like I got lucky with some excellent donor motors, good jet pumps except for the steering nozzle on one and the pump nozzle got snapped off. Lots of other cherry picking parts that I n20230601_131903.jpgeed for the 2007 I bought two weeks ago to refurbish for myself. About the 2007 for 3200 on a really nice galvanized double stock trailer but it did not have a title so I wanted this aluminum one. After I pull all the parts off this thing that I can get at easily they cost about $80 to throw away at a dump here Northeast to Houston.

2008 would be a 230. 240s were 2010 and up, with the not pointy bow.

I think the 2nd HIN is behind the helm in the older boats. I recall seeing this while working on my steering cables.

Well, I found it yesterday. Mystery solved. The secondary hull badge is located impregnated in goop on a red label right behind the SX230 decal on the starboard side mounted to what would be the outside wall of the helm. There was not a third badge located on the opposite side fwiw.

Attachments

• 20230607_152541.jpg
    20230607_152541.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 35
Well, I found it yesterday. Mystery solved. The secondary hull badge is located impregnated in goop on a red label right behind the SX230 decal on the starboard side mounted to what would be the outside wall of the helm. There was not a third badge located on the opposite side fwiw.
Can that be seen from the inside of the boat via the storage compartment?

No. You would need to be laying on your back nside the helm compartment with your head to the rear of the boat looking up and back to view the underside of your throttle levers (the cables coming out of the bottom of the lever assembly) and you might be able to catch a glimpse of I at a hard angle. Might be able to remove the throttle assembly from the top side and could likely take a picture of it through the hole as well.

what made you cut there? random chance? how many other holes did you cut before you found it ?

I wanted to cut the SX 230 high output fiberglass chunk out so I can do a Old cedar fence picket frame around it and hang it on my garage shop wall. Sort of a trophy lol. It just happened to reveal where it was at by chance. The other side had a pretty big gaping hole in that same spot so I was able to see that there's no matching one mounted on the other side through the hole. This boat has holes everywhere from destroying the boat dock that it was stuck in on Lake Livingston during a storm so one extra hole was meaningless. I also cut every one of the stainless mooring cleats out with a sawzall. The framed chunk of fiberglass will be hung right above my Yamaha banner in my garage :-)20230310_181556.jpg

Attachments

• 20230607_165727.jpg
    20230607_165727.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230607_165717.jpg
    20230607_165717.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230605_144012.jpg
    20230605_144012.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 13
Good job on salvaging the cleats, new they sell for about $90 each. I stripped everything I could off of the wrecked boat I bought. SS screws get expensive quickly. Clean out plugs are around $400 each.

Oh wow! I had no idea those cleanup plugs were that expensive. Glad I figured out a way to pull them out of there easily! And yes, I literally took every single stainless steel screw that wasn't bent. A bunch of them were bent on the rub rail from the damage it took and on the windshield but there had to have been 500 other screws to come out of that boat lol. I'm even keeping a long section of the stainless steel rub rail insert and a long chunk of the rub rail including the nose section because I would assume that's one of the most common pieces to get damaged.

Back