• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where do you draw the line? <shoes & pets>

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is regarding shoes and pets, along with other things that have potential to damage seadeck/blacktip elite and upholstery.

I'm fairly new to boating, and am in the middle of redoing all the upholstery, plus will be installing blacktip elite traction mats (seadeck copy) this spring. I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line regarding footwear and pets, and anything else that can do damage to my baby. How does the seadeck/blacktip elite mats hold up to pets and regular shoes? What have you seen damage upholstery that you wouldn't have expected to? Where do some of you guys "draw the line", so to speak?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My two dogs come with us all the time. I know that the rear sea deck may get damaged but that is a wearable and replaceable item. Towels go over my seats and shoes come off when getting in the boat.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We typically wear boat shoes to protect the interior. We also have 5 dogs that range in weight from 3-40lbs. The 3 pounder is the only one that comes with us. He hates the water and just prefers to sleep on a comfortable cushion or towel. You can go crazy with boating accessories to try and enhance/protect your baby. But it will drain your wallet. We are debating putting one of those keel guards on the bottom of our new 195S boat. Had one on the bass boat and seemed to protect the gelcoat from beachings.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took my niece and a bunch of her friends to a local bar with the boat. They all bought hot pink t-shirts as souvenirs and put them on for the ride home. They got sweaty. Seats got pink...!
What a PITA to remove.
When it comes to towels, brand new ones have also occasionally been a problem. And then there's the usual/expected food stuffs and the way some children (and adults) eat. (Please put the food IN your mouth, not NEAR your mouth and on my boat!)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Took my niece and a bunch of her friends to a local bar with the boat. They all bought hot pink t-shirts as souvenirs and put them on for the ride home. They got sweaty. Seats got pink...!
What a PITA to remove.
When it comes to towels, brand new ones have also occasionally been a problem. And then there's the usual/expected food stuffs and the way some children (and adults) eat. (Please put the food IN your mouth, not NEAR your mouth and on my boat!)
^^^^^^^This.......we only allow post washed articles of clothing. New bathing suit or colored towel not washed.......get off my boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm pretty OCD about keeping things nice. That said, flip-flops that don't scuff and drinks without staining juice is where I'm at. The boat is there to be used, not to look perfect for the next guy. I also get a fair amount of personal satisfaction from cleaning anyway and my boat always gets completely cleaned before being put away. Takes nearly the same amount of time for a dirty boat vs. a clean boat with my process, so whatever, I just don't want to get stuck on stains.

My biggest thing for guests is "take your damn garbage with you." I don't care if you brought four cases of beer or one bottle of wine, what you brought is what I'm handing you to dispose of at the end of the day. Also, be respectful and be on f'ing time. Nothing pisses me off more than waiting for derps that have issues with time management.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Washed clothing only, got it!! That does make sense, although I would not have thought about it myself until it happened to me...lol

Yes, I'll be putting a keelguard on her sometime early this season, I just have to do a little gelcoat repair beforehand.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Garbage, that's only fair. I don't get personal satisfaction from cleaning up afterward, so I might have to be a stickler...lol

Drinks that stain will be something to keep in mind.

What about the beloved abomination known as Crocs? I would think they are pretty safe on things?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Garbage, that's only fair. I don't get personal satisfaction from cleaning up afterward, so I might have to be a stickler...lol

Drinks that stain will be something to keep in mind.

What about the beloved abomination known as Crocs? I would think they are pretty safe on things?
They should be - just be wary of any soles that are dark. Also, if you have a lot of friends that wear Crocs, you may need a new group of friends. :D

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They should be - just be wary of any soles that are dark. Also, if you have a lot of friends that wear Crocs, you may need a new group of friends. :D
My wife dragged me over to the dark side. :eek: They really are nice for camping, and comfortable, but I still make fun of them.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Washed clothing only, got it!! That does make sense, although I would not have thought about it myself until it happened to me...lol

Yes, I'll be putting a keelguard on her sometime early this season, I just have to do a little gelcoat repair beforehand.
We also go as far as our dock lines....... When we get new dock lines we wash them before they get put on the boat.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shoes off upon entering the boat but not a dictator about it.. Even the "HeyDude" shoes my family always wears come off. (which you should all try for boat shoes)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's some of my rules and I usually incorporate them into a "first timers out speech":
  1. Shoes go in the bin upon arrival (I keep a tub under one of the seats for them)
  2. No spray sunscreen as overspray lands on the deck and makes a slipping hazard (not to mention an oily mess I HAVE TO CLEAN UP)
  3. Garbage goes into the bag by the front seat
  4. No Cheetos or red wine as they stain. Might I suggest a white instead
  5. no beer bottles as those damn caps have punctured two soft sided coolers already.
  6. If I ask you to do something, please do it and don't ask why. I will tell you (but I may be concentrating on something else at the moment)
  7. Flares and first aid kit are in the shoe bin
  8. Life jackets are located here...here...and here...
  9. Please self-balance yourself on each side of the boat so we don't lean going down the lake
  10. As far as the tower and Bimini go, you are welcome to hang on to any bar that has a speaker attached - not the ones with fabric. I then usually hang off the tower so they see its strong and give the smaller Bimini poles a little shake.
  11. Other than that, let's have fun and feel free to ask how you can help.
:)

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's some of my rules and I usually incorporate them into a "first timers out speech":
  1. Shoes go in the bin upon arrival (I keep a tub under one of the seats for them)
  2. No spray sunscreen as overspray lands on the deck and makes a slipping hazard (not to mention an oily mess I HAVE TO CLEAN UP)
  5. no beer bottles as those damn caps have punctured two soft sided coolers already.
  6. If I ask you to do something, please do it and don't ask why. I will tell you (but I may be concentrating on something else at the moment)
  9. Please self-balance yourself on each side of the boat so we don't lean going down the lake
  10. As far as the tower and Bimini go, you are welcome to hang on to any bar that has a speaker attached - not the ones with fabric. I then usually hang off the tower so they see its strong and give the smaller Bimini poles a little shake.
That's a nice list, I'm gonna take it and "make it mine" with some slight modifications. Like you say, I want to have fun, and I don't want people to be thinking I'm an asshole, but I also want them to be aware of things that can cause me a lot of headache...

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All good. we've also made it somewhat fun for those who've been around on the boat for a while...I'll cover the list and then ask them what I missed...they always get it (and I've missed it because I likely forgot).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is eerily familiar.

I usually "search coolers" before getting on the boat. No glass. Stainless, aluminum, plastic, and cardboard are fine.

I'm adding the hang from the tubes portion

I usually do a safety briefing that includes "read the room when afloat" if I ask you to do something, and it looks like I'm stressed even a little bit, please don't ask questions, just freaking do it, it could save your life. I'll explain why later......Most people are OK with that, and get the idea with little explanation.

The spray sunscreen thing is huge.....I hate that shit.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
LOL, I have to laugh. When I was younger, I was anal about everything. I wanted it to "last forever" and the only way to do that was to have rules upon rules to make my life easier. Now I'm much older and I don't sweat the small stuff (or medium stuff - big stuff different story). Do I like a spotless boat, hell ya'. But, if it means I make everyone miserable, not anymore. I find I make more of a mess than anybody else and I laugh at myself for it.

Just about anything can be cleaned of fixed (typically without breaking the bank). My advise is don't go overboard (pun intended) and have fun. The times with loved ones or friends is too short. I love boating, my boat and everyone I take out on it (including my wife :)).

Oh, thanks for reminding me, going out this weekend with some friends and I've got to clean the damn boat!!! :winkingthumbsup"

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your boat your rules. When everybody goes home you are the one cleaning and buying replacements stuff. If your guest are not willing to respect your property then then they should not be your friends. We make it very clear that Cheetos are not welcome, but my own kids get a free pass on everything, but They own the boat so I end up cleaning molded popcorn in the middle of December

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I am not worried about my friends not respecting the rules, or anything like that, I just don't want to make rules that don't have a good reason, or come across as a prick about it. Cheetos is a good one, I may or may not have thought of that one, and the sunscreen is something else that I'm seeing pop up more than I would've imagined. Seems hard to believe that a little bit of overspray would be an issue, but when I see something posted by multiple people, it makes me realize there's got to be something to it.