• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which Cover for Long Distance Travel

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
We will be traveling from Atlanta to Siesta Key/Sarasota FL in April. We will stop overnight in Orlando (8 hours) to see family then on to Siesta Key (3 hours) the following day. We normally use the shipping cover for travel over about 2 hours and the mooring cover for under 2 hours.
The boat will be docked in the water all week and plan to use the mooring cover. We probably will have room to take both covers but not sure it makes sense.

What would you do?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just under 6 hours as hour longest trip. I used the mooring cover. I did use straps, poles and the oversized beach balls up front and on the back seats as well, not too mention using pool noodles over the window frame all the way around will slit in them. I didn't have an issue whatsoever. I don't do anything at freeway speed without straps, poles, beach balls at a bare minimum.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I have just under 6 hours as hour longest trip. I used the mooring cover. I did use straps, poles and the oversized beach balls up front and on the back seats as well, not too mention using pool noodles over the window frame all the way around will slit in them. I didn't have an issue whatsoever. I don't do anything at freeway speed without straps, poles, beach balls at a bare minimum.
Agreed. I have noodles for the window and beach balls as well.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What would you do?
Mooring cover as it's made for trailering with the tower up. The shipping cover requires you to drop your tower which is fine for storage. If you're towing the boat, you must keep the tower in the upright position or use the factory shipping brackets to prevent damage - the tower bouncing over bumps will rip out the cables.

For winter storage, I use the white shipping cover with the tower down and tarp over top to protect the cover. I built a simple stand out of 2x4's and plywood to hold the tower up an inch to take the weight off the cables.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the shipping brackets for the tower with the boat. I use those for the Winter or any extended time I have the tower down. Very handy. They could be used if you tow with the winter cover on as well, since that is what they are made for.

FYI, if you don't ask for them when you get your new boat, just call up your dealer, they usually just take them off and throw them in a box, is what I was told.

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I got the shipping brackets for the tower with the boat. I use those for the Winter or any extended time I have the tower down. Very handy. They could be used if you tow with the winter cover on as well, since that is what they are made for.

FYI, if you don't ask for them when you get your new boat, just call up your dealer, they usually just take them off and throw them in a box, is what I was told.
What do these brackets look like?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a shade over 11hrs as the longest trip towed on my AR190 from Louisville, KY to Navarre, FL.

Mooring cover (tower up), with straps, without poles. No appreciable signs of wear/tear from the trip down and back.

I don't run the poles when towing as I don't like how it stretches the cover around the tip of the pole in the bow. Beach Balls, or other soft/inflatable items are a great solution here. I get some pooling, and leakage when driving through the rain because of this. Most likely going to coat the cover in "neverwet" hydrophobic coating this spring, and then find me some giant beach balls to put up there.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I used my shipping cover on a 10 hour trip. It started to give up the ghost on the return trip, so I got about 16 hours out of it. The mooring cover will create abrasions either to the window frame, unless you add cut pool noodles, and I've had those fall off, or around the edge where you tighten it.

Now I just tow it uncovered. I just leave the drain plugs out in case it rains and if I have to stop for the night at a hotel, I throw the mooring cover on it. The only thing you have to do is make sure none of your cushions will fly out. I find this much easier than covering the boat, worring if the cover will puddle with water or rub. They are meant to get wet, just me 2 cents.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the pick for the brackets that come on them from the factory. This is my boat the day I picked it up. Thanks to another member on this forum they gave me a heads up to get them. I would take a picture of them close up but mine are on the boat and its covered in the drive with the winter cover.

20200514_112850 (2).jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I just tow it uncovered. I just leave the drain plugs out in case it rains and if I have to stop for the night at a hotel, I throw the mooring cover on it.
I do the same thing the majority of the time. I only cover when I need to store stuff in the boat because I am full up in the expedition with kids and stuff.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a shade over 11hrs as the longest trip towed on my AR190 from Louisville, KY to Navarre, FL.

Mooring cover (tower up), with straps, without poles. No appreciable signs of wear/tear from the trip down and back.

I don't run the poles when towing as I don't like how it stretches the cover around the tip of the pole in the bow. Beach Balls, or other soft/inflatable items are a great solution here. I get some pooling, and leakage when driving through the rain because of this. Most likely going to coat the cover in "neverwet" hydrophobic coating this spring, and then find me some giant beach balls to put up there.
I should of clarified. You are correct. I only use pole in back with a large towel folded over the top of it. In the front I use beach balls and straps without pole.

Txbred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Here is the pick for the brackets that come on them from the factory. This is my boat the day I picked it up. Thanks to another member on this forum they gave me a heads up to get them. I would take a picture of them close up but mine are on the boat and its covered in the drive with the winter cover.

View attachment 170794
Ok thanks, that's alot different on my 252.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Txbred Those are very nice. No chance on my model ;)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I commonly tow 4-6 hours and always use the towing cover. The shipping cover isn't built that well and when I got mine, it was already destroyed. Pool noodles over the window frames. I also don't lock the racket straps, but I do put some zip ties in them...that way I can tell if someone has been in there or not.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Mooring cover as it's made for trailering with the tower up. The shipping cover requires you to drop your tower which is fine for storage. If you're towing the boat, you must keep the tower in the upright position or use the factory shipping brackets to prevent damage - the tower bouncing over bumps will rip out the cables.

For winter storage, I use the white shipping cover with the tower down and tarp over top to protect the cover. I built a simple stand out of 2x4's and plywood to hold the tower up an inch to take the weight off the cables.
I have the shipping brackets and am using them during winter storage. Should I use a 2 X 4 instead of the brackets for long term storage?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would opt for, personally, to use the shipping brackets for long term storage. It also secures the tower securely so if you have to move the trailer the tower won't bounce.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have the shipping brackets and am using them during winter storage. Should I use a 2 X 4 instead of the brackets for long term storage?
Since my boat doesn't move during winter storage, I chose to use a support structure to distribute the weight across the tower, support, and attachment points rather than all the weight on two shipping bolts. I also raised the cockpit pole and straps to better support the cover due to the weight of wet snow as my boat is outside. If it were indoors or being transported, I'd use the shipping brackets.

Kawak11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Does anyone have a pic of the shipping brackets installed on a newer 212? Thanks

yall_mahaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Does anyone have a pic of the shipping brackets installed on a newer 212? Thanks
Sorry, not the highest quality picture, this was one my dealer sent me, but you can see the brackets bolted to the bottom of the support and the tower. I was surprised that they looked so much taller and different than what HangOutdoors had posted when I first saw this.

IMG_9899_cleaned.jpg