• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

which grill for boat?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/c/ref=navm_hdr_cart
don't know if that shows up right,
but we are comparing the kuuma 125 and 160 grills.
Cons of 125 is that it may tarnish the stainless. But it's compact and will fit anywhere under a seat.
The 160 supposedly is better metal, and bigger. I don't know how well it will fit below seats and is $70 more.
between the two, we are stuck.
This is for grilling on the boat exclusively.

I think that where you want to store it should be your biggest consideration in which grill to buy.

I have a $150 Magma Cabo. It is Magma's least expensive rectangular grill. It has 162 square inches of cooking surface. I have grilled complete meals for as many as eight at a time with it. We store it in a Magma grill bag. The only place it will fit on the boat in the bag is in the head compartment.

Yes
But the review all say the stainless tarnish.
I am guessing you would point me that way for the price and storage?

The Kuuma 150 is listed for as little as $135 and is more compact than the others.

I don't think that the metal on the Kuuma 125 is very different than the Magma that I have. The stainless may change color over heat cycles. Adding more would make it heavier. I would not want such a lightly manufactured grill for my deck but it is perfect for the boat. Especially when you decide to carry it somewhere.

I am going to jump into the fray here on the grill. It is like most discussions, so much of what one guy does with his may not align with what another one does. I don't know if I would worry too much about tarnishing @Speedling , you don't know if this is a saltwater guy saying that or what. Contrary to common belief, stainless will tarnish, but not "rust". I know, there are different grades of SS and that is true, but for our use, I am not sure it matters that much if it is SS. The bigger issue, are the fasteners SS? Are the grates? Are the burners? I have seen Charbroil "SS" grills that have a stainless dome cover, and the rest of the grill is not. And like @Bruce ,stating that he cooks complete meals for 8 on a grill with 162 sq in...your burger patties would be pretty small if you get 8 of those on at once, or you need to start a cooking show and "edumacate" us! jk I am looking for a grill that will serve as a grill on the bus and if I so choose to use it on the boat, it would be of secondary benefit. But honestly, mounting to my boat may have less appeal to me than having it on the beach. But the discussion is nonetheless valuable. I can say that as far as being well built and boat friendly, the Magma line is probably the best from my searches and actually looking at them. The infrared models are intriguing to me, any input on those vs the standard? I know magma is well built, but how does it cook? Is it a straight direct cook grill or can you get creative? On a side note, I looked at the Traeger tailgater yesterday in consideration of the bus...but it is pretty big, even as a tailgater model. But I could smoke, grill, and all automatically controlled. Thoughts?

I will second or third or whatever the Magma.. I have the Magma Newport Infrared model.. you can use it on the built in legs or in the rod holder if you install one with an optional mount..

IMG_2668.jpg

I've read that infrared grills due to their nature of burning HOT...run through propane. Solitaire has a nice compact infrared

tell me about your experience with the infrared model @kthrash , if you would. I am trying to understand the benefit of it vs non IR.

I just got it installed, plan to cook on it tonight.. will give a full report next week..

I would also ask this...with these being portable, and designed to use with small propane bottles, I wonder if I can attach my quick connection at the bus? I have a pressure regulator that goes inline between the hose connection and the grill. I don't know if that takes the place of the quick connects on todays grills or not.

@Speedling, the magma website says that the A10-603 is not for use on boats.

@txav8r, I am disappointed that you are not adding a small Egg to your bus?

I have not grilled burgers on the Magma. The grill surface is 9x18 so you could fit eight 4.5" diameter burgers on it. We tend to grill things like small thick steaks, shish kabobs, or fish. I often throw a foil pack of edamame or corn in as well. Occasionally we will grill hot dogs. Shish kabobs work well for larger groups. I stack them two or three high on the grill surface and rotate the layers as they cook.

Our grill lives on the boat and gets used at least once a week. So size is important.

image.jpg

Size doesn't matter! Only the motion of the ocean! :winkingthumbsup"

@Bruce I get a website not available

Back