• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which size of Add-A-Battery Kit

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I did some searching around and can't seem to find anywhere that says what add a battery kit we should be using. I'm thinking the 65A is more than sufficent for our boats. But maybe I'm just missing something. So basically I'm asking
A) is the 65A "mini" sufficent for our dual engine boats
B) is there any advantage to going to the 120A add-a-battery kit

Guess while I'm at it, anything else I should be buying besides a couple of bus bars, a Fuse panel, wire and connectors?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I called the folks over at Blue seas before I ordered my ACR (which I have yet to install). . . . and they specifically recommended the 65a version. Any idea as to why so many people here seem to be recommending the 120a contrary to what the Blue Sea's folks seem to be saying for our set ups?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I called the folks over at Blue seas before I ordered my ACR (which I have yet to install). . . . and they specifically recommended the 65a version. Any idea as to why so many people here seem to be recommending the 120a contrary to what the Blue Sea's folks seem to be saying for our set ups?
Bigger is better, in all seriousness the 65A is fine as well.. the Stators dont put out that much amperage.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 65amp is is a maximum value of of the two engines/generators output, and at about 16a each, 65a is well within their total. The 65a switch has a continuous load rating of 300 amps, well within any loads for stereo, lighting, pumps etc. that most people would use.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw in one of these threads that the 65a kit was providing 12amp of charging v.s. 13.3amps on the 120a. . . . . . Not sure how accurate that is. I believe @David Analog was on the thread and chimed in if memory serves.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I initially ordered the Blue Sea 7650 kit, from West Marine, which consists of the 120amp switch and ACR. But cancelled the order because it was backordered until end of June. On 5/24, upon trying to order the same kit from Boaters Marine Supply, I was told that there had been a recall due to a plastics problem and nobody has them. After some research, I ordered Blue Sea kit 7655 a 65a switch with ACR and a 10a shore power charger. My slip does not have shore power, but it will be good to recharge when at home, without dragging out the big charger. Still waiting for it to arrive, it was back ordered too.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd piece together a kit and save a bunch. Larger wire has less voltage drop. The only advantage of a smaller kit is cost. An advantage of a larger kit is if the boat battery fails, and your aux is still good you can connect them to start the boat. The 65a would blow for sure. 125a might work, especially if you give the batteries a minute to equalize before hitting start. I only use welding cable now. Most if the wire off the internet seems to be low quality and of suspect actual gauge. The trend seems to be adding super thick insulation and tiny wires. Avoid copper clad aluminum! It's not much extra to just run 2g and never have to upgrade. 20' of 2g can handle 200a.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I initially ordered the Blue Sea 7650 kit, from West Marine,...On 5/24 I ordered Blue Sea kit 7655 a 65a switch with ACR and a 10a shore power charger. My slip does not have shore power, but it will be good to recharge when at home, without dragging out the big charger. Still waiting for it to arrive, it was back ordered too.
Update just received an e-mail from BoatersMarineSupply that my order had finally shipped.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Received today, Blue Sea kit 7655 after being backordered for months. Blue Sea must have fixed their switch failure issue (falling apart).
20170727_232533.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
https://www.jetboatpilot.com/index.php?id_product=149&id_product_attribute=0&controller=product
I am looking at upgrading my basic switch to this from jetboat pilot. I have a gift certificate!
I am a little confused as how the VSR works.
I am looking to have two batteries, obviously both motors on one of the batteries, and the amps on a second battery AND I would love to hook up my basic trickle charger or maybe even my solar charger to one thing so I can plug in easily all winter and have it maintain.
Is this what the above will do for me?
Also, I have the basic wet cell batteries and figure that's good enough for now. They are the marine version which no idea what that means other than perhaps don't leak the gases or something.
I need to redo all my wiring because it's a mess and hopefully the cables from the motors are long enough to make it to new switch!
I also need to get some nice ways for combining grounds from amps and motors and a better fuse box for the positive side.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking at getting one of these smart isolators for my side by side. They charge the main battery until it's over 13.3v, then they charge the aux battery. I assume hooking a charger to the main battery will trigger charging just like the alternator. WirthCo 20092 Battery Doctor 125 Amp/150 Amp Battery Isolator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058SGDFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AfIGzb7N9WQ2Q

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper, How has the Blue Sea kit 7655 been holding up? I'd like to add an ACR and charger to mine as well and was going back and forth with this kit vs the 120A and a NOCO genius dual charger.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper, How has the Blue Sea kit 7655 been holding up? I'd like to add an ACR and charger to mine as well and was going back and forth with this kit vs the 120A and a NOCO genius dual charger.
It is still there. I don't use it often. I do remember waiting a long time for it. We do not use the battery much while sitting at the beach, as we do not crank the tunes up. I bought it a few years ago because I needed a 2 bat. switch and the charger. You still have to buy cables and a tray or box. Now, I would buy a 2 battery switch and a charger like the NOCO Genius or the Promariner Prosport 12 2-bank where the battery cables are included. Less to think about.