• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Which to buy 2nd hand - Yamaha 2019 GP1800 SVHO vs 2019 FX Cruiser HO

Recon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
2nd hand - Yamaha 2019 GP1800 SVHO vs 2019 FX Cruiser HO
Both around the same price
Both good service and care history
Both in good condition
GP1800 SVHO - 48 hrs
FX Cruiser HO - 115 hrs
The only diff is the hours and the model / engine.

Any user feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I am not young and not a racer but happy to get out and explore areas with chop

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026-152035.png
    Screenshot_20221026-152035.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • GP1800SVHO.jpg
    GP1800SVHO.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 14
From what I have read, the cruiser seats can be uncomfortable if you are a taller rider. The seat will push you forward, making it cramped.

just on 6'
yeah it looks cramped on that 3 seat set up considering it will be ridden solo only
quite common in the bike world to redo/shape uncomfortable factory seats

Edit - I initially misread the model in question as an VX, not an FX…. Struck comments that do not apply

I believe both hulls are the same. Intake grate and ride plate are more aggressive on the GP. I can’t find the 2019 model year specs to compare all the features, but the following comes to mind (please verify).

VX
Cruiser HO should have “No Wake Mode” (allows you to not hold the throttle and maintain ~5mph) & Cruise Assist (you can set an RPM & just hold the throttle wide open - reduces fatigue when trying to cruise at a constant speed, also allows you to increase/decrease the RPM), whereas the GP models I believe do not have “No Wake Mode” and potentially “cruise assist”, but provide you nozzle trim. You can confirm this by looking at the handle bars and seeing what buttons are present besides the throttle and start/stop buttons. (FX should have trim as well)

GP I believe has a lighter hull material (NanoXcel2 vs NanoXcel), but overall weight might be offset with the heavier engine set-up.

VX Cruiser
HO runs fine on regular 87, SVHO engine requires premium and will most likely be thirstier.

I have a 2016 VX Cruiser HO, and have swapped out the ride plate & intake grate to the 2019 OEM models - pretty easy to accomplish and was ~$200 in parts - ski certainly is more aggressive in hooking up and in turns. At minimum I recommend the newer ride plate, as the plate is slightly longer and provides additional running service and stability. I also added a pump wedge (fixed tilt) to pick the nose up a bit. Ski runs around 63-65 (GPS) depending on conditions.

A couple of observations -
Which I image would apply to both models - the nose of the hull sits very low in the water when off plane, often in no wake zones, if there is another vessel producing a wake, you are going to get splashed. I try never to fill my fuel tank more than ~80% to keep some weight out of the bow. With the VX Cruiser HO - I can spend 1-1.5hours out on the lake, and burn between 4-7 gallons depending upon how aggressive I ride. In other words, I think its a really frugal ski with plenty of get up and go.
From what I have read, the FX hull provides a bit of a more “mature” ride, where as the VX hull is playful while still very stable - just sharing in case you decide to look at an FX model.

Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
Ok, so I re-read your initial question, and now see its a FX Cruiser (not a VX). Should wait till my morning coffee kicks in. :)

Same comments should apply regarding the engines. I think it comes down to do you want more of a “touring” style ski in the FX (has more storage/comfort focused amenities) vs a race proven design.

If it were me, and I was looking for more exploration - I would go with the FX, but I have not experienced the FX hull personally. Are either of the sellers open to a sea trial so that you can determine what ski better accommodations your riding style/expectations?

The only concern I would have, is I believe the FX hull was new in 2019 and unchanged until 2022. There was something I have read about stability at certain speeds, potentially due to chine walk. I believe Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has experienced this, and might have a solution available. Also at some point I believe Yamaha moved the sponsons slightly to address this.

Last edited:
My wife and I purchased a 2021 gp1800 and FXHO. For the most part they are the same hill and bow wise as the 2019 models. That said, I wanted and got the gp1800, I wish o would have gotten the fax instead.

the gp1800 is shorter, weighs less, accelerates off the line faster than the fx. It also has a slightly better top speed (67 mph v 60 mph). The supercharged version will perform even better.
However the gp is a much wetter and less comfortable ride than the fx. The other downside to the gp is you will have to use premium fuel and to a little more to maintain the supercharger.

unless you have to have the sport bike of Yamahas Waverunners over the Harley, i recommend the fx.
As for the cruiser seat, we don’t have them on our new skis but did on our old ones, I loved them at 5’8” I can’t imagine at 6’ there would any issues since both skis have handle bars that may be adjusted forward and backward. Also it’s not hard or expensive to modify a cruiser seat into a no. Cruiser seat, just need to cut the foam and replace the skin. I would not recommend it though.
269A7AFA-EB86-4AE3-84A0-11A57CB67D62.png

Back