• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why does this make me nervous?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I'm bouncing between youtube and Jetboaters just killing late night time, like I normally do, and I come across this video. Now, while I have a 212X, not a 242X this is making me nervous that I might start having issues with both the connext and surfing. Not sure if these guys have an electrical lemon and why aren't they getting a wake? Are they doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the boat? Do they need the new "wake" setup?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't be too worried @PJ73, I can't say what their issue with the Conext system and the GPS was, due to the fact my AR isn't equip with the feature. But it is a little obvious they are new to surfing with a Yamaha and hadn't quite done all their homework. For one, it sounds like their dealer told them it was a out the box surf boat, which frankly, it is not. I even watched their follow up video, which had some improved results, but still shows their not quite sure how to set it up properly, suggesting the unballasted side offered the better wake. I commented on the video to try to steer them here for answers, because I felt bad. I hope they find their way here.
I'd comment further but its 3:30am and I haven't slept a wink yet... lol! Suffice it to say, they need a transom ballast bag and wake wedge to be impressed.
I'll tag @jcyamaharider, because of all the obvious reasons.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Every time he said surf boat I cringed. Yamaha ads are misleading with their hidden ballast tactics. I feel for them as he seemed someone sold him they had a surf boat which of course it isn't. Also seems like they didn't do a demo before buying the boat and that’s Rule #1. Not blaming him just saying he would have seen this firsthand on a water demo before buying.

They need a wedge and the swim deck bag, then they could have a decent wave to surf behind. It will never be as good or convenient as a dedicated tow boat when it comes to surfing but he could certainly make the Yamaha better but it’s gonna cost him on top of the high 242X cost.

Connext I'm still not a fan of. There are posts on here with just annoying bugs, hiccups and quality issues. Overall just not impressed with it or would trust it. I know plenty of people don't have issues and that's great. There are however plenty that have come and gone on here that did have issues. Just seems ahead of its time and needs more R&D and QC.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man that guy seemed frustrated! Feel bad for them. They may have bought the wrong boat for their needs and on top of that it came with faults.

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As a former Tige owner I can say with confidence that out of the box these are not surf boats.

However, with some additions, you can surf behind them.

But if you really want a surfing boat, the Yamaha is not the answer.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They should have done a water test, but there is also no doubt in my mind that their dealer likely mislead them and there is zero doubt that Yamaha mislead them.

1551362576509.png

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Does Bayliners website say "barely floating piece of shit"? Called marketing.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Burn!

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Anyone who buys Yamaha or hayday without any research is a moron. If you believe everything you read your a moron.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As the say, try before you buy. It wouldn’t surprise me if his dealer fed him a load of marketing BS though. Take they’re latest Wakebooster. VERY little information out there on it yet they are touting it big time, just like SurfPointe “technology”. Remember when some of the aerial videos showed the ballast bags in the floor of the 242X yet they never mentioned that little nugget in the ad while touting their integrated ballast system? None of this marketing stuff matters and should be taken at face value. What really matters is getting out and testing the boat(s) before you buy so you know exactly what you’re getting and if it matches the hype they’re selling you on. It’s clear the guy in the video seemed to really think he bought a surf boat, and I feel bad for him, but the reality is he should have tested this boat and would have known where it excels or falls short.

Live and you learn I guess but I am glad he put up his video. Not trying to dog Yamaha just like seeing honest videos of what to really expect of a stock boat. We all know they can be greatly improved upon but that’s not the point of his video. The video is from 2017 and no videos of the boat since then. I wonder if they still have it but modified with Gantlin products so it could surf, or if they’re members on here, or if they sold it and moved on to something more dedicated? I’d be interested to know!

Last edited:

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do realize these are not dedicated "surf" boats, If I wanted a total wake boat, I would have gone with a Super air Nautique or Malibu or something along that line. I do however, expect (with the addition of the booster and ballast) to be able to surf behind my boat. Not like a dedicated wake boat but just enough to have fun with it. That's all I'm looking for.
I understand the connext is an issue maker for some and I hope Yamaha figures it out. I just get super nervous that a 242X wasn't throwing a "surf" wake and I'm expecting my 212X to do it? Then again, I'm probably overthinking all this.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When thinking about what level of “surf” you will get behind these boats, consider that actual surf boats typically weigh a LOT more in the first place and then are equipped with 3-6k in built in ballast. And even then, many add even more weight. A sub 3,000 lb boat with less than 2,000 lbs of ballast weighs less than the dry weight of many dedicated wake boats. Big wakes/waves are directly related to water displacement.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do realize these are not dedicated "surf" boats, If I wanted a total wake boat, I would have gone with a Super air Nautique or Malibu or something along that line. I do however, expect (with the addition of the booster and ballast) to be able to surf behind my boat. Not like a dedicated wake boat but just enough to have fun with it. That's all I'm looking for.
I understand the connext is an issue maker for some and I hope Yamaha figures it out. I just get super nervous that a 242X wasn't throwing a "surf" wake and I'm expecting my 212X to do it? Then again, I'm probably overthinking all this.
You probably are overthinking that, but that is true for anyone on this forum, LOL, why would we be here otherwise!

That said, I think this video does provide a bit of a reality check to complement all those discussions about surfing behind a Yamaha.

It does take time. Not only from the equipment perspective but also just figuring out and learning how to deploy bags and devices and launch for surf runs (without losing the surfer).

I don’t know many people who get it all dialed in within their first season. For us, it took about five, lol. I guess we are slow learners.

Bottom line - if you make the process a part of the fun and approach the surf tuning as an adventure, you are very likely to be satisfied at the end.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again, I don't think you have reason to fret over this. You've got a lot of help and and advice better from people who surf your boat regularly. You will have a ton of fun while working it all out.
I was able to surf my 240 with equivalent to stock ballast, a few fat friends, no transom ballast, and no shaper. It just takes some time to learn how to manipulate the wake.
FB_IMG_1529291147063.jpg

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You probably are overthinking that, but that is true for anyone on this forum, LOL, why would we be here otherwise!

That said, I think this video does provide a bit of a reality check to complement all those discussions about surfing behind a Yamaha.

It does take time. Not only from the equipment perspective but also just figuring out and learning how to deploy bags and devices and launch for surf runs (without losing the surfer).

I don’t know many people who get it all dialed in within their first season. For us, it took about five, lol. I guess we are slow learners.

Bottom line - if you make the process a part of the fun and approach the surf tuning as an adventure, you are very likely to be satisfied at the end.

Seems redundant to say, but I completely agree with @swatski.
We bought the first year of the 242X because it gave us the greatest range of opportunities to have fun. Close freshwater lakes to learn how to surf, and go out into the Atlantic and cross the Gulf Stream and visit Bimini (family of 5). It's not naturally excellent at either, but if you are willing to put in the effort, it can be an excellent adventure vessel for both extremes. Haven't been happy/willing to go down the surf enhancement options until this year (will do the WakeBooster) and have made the crossing to Bimini twice (even with challenging conditions).
The 1-2-3 for us is:
-Ease of maintenance (100% at home; Winterize in 10 minutes)
-Range of boating condition options (lake, sound, river, ocean, shallow,..., and light to tow (for size))
-Ability to surf on lakes (my 18year old daughter has had no problem with strictly OEM capabilities; once I learned a few things (speed and Slight turn towards surfer))

#notforeveryonebutforme

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn’t worry over it man. IMO I think the 21’ boats make a pretty nice wave for a jet boat. Check out @Blenderhead ‘s 212X he had dialed in before he bought the Malibu. One of the better waves I’ve seen on here IMO. @bobbie ‘s wave is impressive as well and she doesn’t even use a wake wedge somehow (!!!!) and I think it’s true they have magical water there :D.

You have to keep in mind that during the time of that video there was no wakebooster or surfpointe I don’t think in 2017. So what that guy was expecting is I’m guessing what they saw in the Yamaha 242X video and reading all that surf stuff without knowing that Yamaha had extra ballast onboard for those videos and marketing material images. Should have had an asterisk at the bottom that said “results may vary” :D

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can surf on a stock heyday tr1. done it plenty of times

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Patience young @PJ73
Soon the white stuff will change forms and you will be riding on top of it. Here is @Brian eilrich with his 212X. Just a couple years older than your boat.
IMG_9422.JPGIMG_9478.JPG

Tms1224

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
We did some surfing last year .. slight turn as said above is a huge help for a better wake.