• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why does Yamaha call it the 250-series?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They could start naming their boats based on equivalent length and add 2’ to all the model names since there is no outboard transom and splash well taking up space. ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I may be oversimplifying things, but if you already have a 240 and a 242, throwing in a 245 that does have some significant changes may throw people off. Maybe it was just easier to call it 250 to differentiate from the older models?
I had figured they would follow in the same steps they did with the 19' boats where the base model kept the 190 name and the higher end model was the 192 which ultimately progressed to the 195 when they did an engine swap prior to the hull and cockpit redesign in 2020. To this day they still call the base a 190 even though it's completely redesigned being longer and wider than before. I had assumed they would sort of follow that same trend of 240 (base SX and AR trims), 245X, 245E and so on.

Oh well I get it now but it's confusing lol. It may cost some people a few extra bones on insurance premiums.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha has always kept model names longer than they should have in powersports. It's like buying iphones and ipads, as the name is the same but the guts change. This confuses some consumers to the point of keeping the value of the used ones up.

Yamaha has been very consistent on keeping a name until there are significant changes. Where "Significant" is a relative term. Whether its a 24 or 25' boat is no real issue until it comes to store or insure it where may have the potential of costing you more or less.

The 240 series name plate has been around for 11 years, and this model year is a significant change. So a model line change is necessary. The "2" and "5" have only referred to feature or model variances inside the same hull. So moving to another range is important at this time. We have had one significant hull change in the 240 line, so it actually surprised me it didn't change back then.

There are better things to worry about than the length. I think the name change should relate more to the major changes in the line.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
80F2457D-B45B-4974-BD8F-09322AD65DD5.jpeg5B7015E8-0813-44A9-91F5-E4BACFF8646F.jpegDA8397AE-0691-4058-870B-CEBD183791CF.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man that Exciter 250 bike brings back some memories as a kid!! Friends either had that or the Rebel 250 growing up. Scrapped pegs and all :D

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That boat is sweet. It even has a galvanized trailer and trailer guides.. How long is it? Hard to tell in pic.
16" give or take 5-6 inches depending on model year. Friends dad on my street had one when i was a kid. first jet boat i've ever been on. Reminds me of the old Sea Ray SeaRayders... seems everybody tried their take at the jet boat market with this exact same hull..

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Edit - just checked and an AR230 was listed as 23' total length. The AR240 was listed as 24' total length. If anything it the outlier here it's the new boats jumping all the way into the 250-something name yet only growing by 6" which further drives home how how this is nothing but marketing nonsense.
actually the first generation of 240s (2010 through 2014) were 23’6” long and i had a hard time with it because is was coming out of a 230 that was 23’ long.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
16" give or take 5-6 inches depending on model year. Friends dad on my street had one when i was a kid. first jet boat i've ever been on. Reminds me of the old Sea Ray SeaRayders... seems everybody tried their take at the jet boat market with this exact same hull..
I remember everyone wanted one but got tired of them kind of quick. A few years later they pretty much just extended the hull ~3’ and added another row of seating and called it the ls/lx2000. Then they added the swim platform and called it the LX210. The ar210 was the same hull with the swim platform and wake tower.
8D709E5A-38DB-492B-973F-CD0A96431410.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I always wanted one of the first Speedster's but I knew I would get tired of it after I had done all the spins and shenanigans, Kind of like the 165 they offer now. Fun lil pocket rocket sure but no real use for me in our lakes since it would just beat the hell out of you. I would need te chiropracter on speed dial I think :D

Later on I wanted the Islandia but thankfully never committed, By that time Yamaha had evolved from the LX to the product line of today more or less.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I remember everyone wanted one but got tired of them kind of quick. A few years later they pretty much just extended the hull ~3’ and added another row of seating and called it the ls/lx2000. Then they added the swim platform and called it the LX210. The ar210 was the same hull with the swim platform and wake tower.
View attachment 132118
now that i think of it, they do seem like an absolute blast! 270hp in a hull that weighs about as much as modern day jet skis 😂 would be fun to rip around in one of these just to reminisce my childhood. But i wouldnt be caught dead in so much as another boats wake in this thing.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont really care that they call it a 250, 252, or 255. The name is just a name. But they market it as a 25 foot boat. Thats what my issue is with yamaha. To me they ruined the double tier swim platform, its not as comfortable looking, the rear facing backrests are squared off. Not rounded with large wet storage.
I know it wouldn't allow for the movable seat backs on the 252, 255
The upper tier is way too high, most likely to raise the clearance hight for the walk through over the engines.
More fuel is a good thing. But now heavier with same engines mean more fuel burn and slower performance.

Glad my boat is still like new, cause gonna be a long time before yamaha upgrades again
Hopefully when i upgrade It will be more to my liking.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I dont really care that they call it a 250, 252, or 255. The name is just a name. But they market it as a 25 foot boat. Thats what my issue is with yamaha. To me they ruined the double tier swim platform, its not as comfortable looking, the rear facing backrests are squared off. Not rounded with large wet storage.
I know it wouldn't allow for the movable seat backs on the 252, 255
The upper tier is way too high, most likely to raise the clearance hight for the walk through over the engines.
More fuel is a good thing. But now heavier with same engines mean more fuel burn and slower performance.

Glad my boat is still like new, cause gonna be a long time before yamaha upgrades again
Hopefully when i upgrade It will be more to my liking.
I agree on the 25 bowriders. I don’t like the movable backrests and the main area doesn’t seem inviting. i like the 25x fsh much better as an all around boat.

mostwanted

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
because you never tell anyone its just 6" :) lol. Always round up