• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wide Open Throttle - Engine Misses 2020 sx195

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 2020 Sx195. We ran it wide open for 5 min then backed out of throttle to go under a bridge. Got back in the throttle and engine misses now after 6300 RPM and can not go WOT, engine will miss. Any thoughts? We already replaced the spark plugs.

Jarheadland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same issue. Thanks for posting. Mine will be going in for service next week. I’ll post what I learn.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We dropped ours off last week. They put it on the machine and said it is running full throttle at 7200 RPM so they don’t know what is wrong. We are paying for the water run to see if they can determine the cause from there. Please keep me posted and I will too.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We dropped ours off last week. They put it on the machine and said it is running full throttle at 7200 RPM so they don’t know what is wrong. We are paying for the water run to see if they can determine the cause from there. Please keep me posted and I will too.
Paying??? are you out of your warranty period? If not, tell them to bill Yamaha for the diagnosis, that‘s how it should work! What the hell is wrong with dealers these days?

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same issue. Thanks for posting. Mine will be going in for service next week. I’ll post what I learn.
What’s your top speed now compared to before the issue started?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have a 2020 Sx195. We ran it wide open for 5 min then backed out of throttle to go under a bridge. Got back in the throttle and engine misses now after 6300 RPM and can not go WOT, engine will miss. Any thoughts? We already replaced the spark plugs.
I assume you followed proper engine break in instructions when new?

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Paying??? are you out of your warranty period? If not, tell them to bill Yamaha for the diagnosis, that‘s how it should work! What the hell is wrong with dealers these days?
I agree and will deal with that later. We just want our boat back ASAP. If I wait on Yamaha, it will be Christmas.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I assume you followed proper engine break in instructions when new?
Yes. We did our 10 hour maintenance. We have about 20 hours on it now.

Jarheadland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What’s your top speed now compared to before the issue started?
The highest speed now is 32. According to my control panel highest speed over the last 3 months was 54.

Jarheadland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My full throttle is about 5800 now. Above that it bogs down and starts lurching and sputtering.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The highest speed now is 32. According to my control panel highest speed over the last 3 months was 54.
Yeah that’s about the same for us. The mechanic seems pretty stumped.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just heard back from dealer. They said the jet pump needs to be rebuilt due to cavitation issues. We have less than 20 hours on the boat. Anyone heard of this before? The mechanic said it is not an uncommon occurrence and they said it is not covered by warranty. Any thoughts, advice or other opinions.

Jarheadland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh you got be kidding me. Yamaha needs to own up. I will be having the same evaluation. Is there something different between 2019 and 2020?

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh you got be kidding me. Yamaha needs to own up. I will be having the same evaluation. Is there something different between 2019 and 2020?
We will be contacting Yamaha directly. The dealer said he would reach out to them, but that they don’t usually cover pumps.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We will be contacting Yamaha directly. The dealer said he would reach out to them, but that they don’t usually cover pumps.
I read an article that said they made a change on the svho but it was hush hush. I didn’t look up any additional articles to confirm that.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just heard back from dealer. They said the jet pump needs to be rebuilt due to cavitation issues. We have less than 20 hours on the boat. Anyone heard of this before? The mechanic said it is not an uncommon occurrence and they said it is not covered by warranty. Any thoughts, advice or other opinions.
That sounds like the dealer is taking you for a ride. Cavitation for me occurs at launch not usually mid throttle.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Did they check the ignition coils? Sounds like a fuel or spark issue to me

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sounds like the dealer is taking you for a ride. Cavitation for me occurs at launch not usually mid throttle.
They said cavitation is what caused the damage to the pump. It doesn’t make sense to us. We have had the boat for 2 months, only tubed a couple times and has less than 20 hours. How long are the pumps supposed to last? I am wondering if the damage had been done before we obtained the boat.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m not an expert on these marine engines, however I am a Master Auto Tech. Typically higher rpm misfires/ under heavy load is due to a coil failure or spark not being hot enough under those conditions. Don’t think cavitation would be an issue once on plain.