• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wide Open Throttle - Engine Misses 2020 sx195

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m not an expert on these marine engines, however I am a Master Auto Tech. Typically higher rpm misfires/ under heavy load is due to a coil failure or spark not being hot enough under those conditions. Don’t think cavitation would be an issue once on plain.
This sounds more accurate than what they are recommending. Cavitation due to pump wear is a whole different issue, but that is not denying that there may be cavitation issues as well.

Anyone wondering why a pump rebuild is not covered by warranty has to understand, that it's not something that just fails, it's usually from abuse. I'm not pointing fingers, its just that the pump needs to pretty much get damaged, it is that durable. But any dealer that wants to charge you for it, should be showing you pictures of what the damage is, and what may have caused it. They don't just fail (except in the rarest of occasions)

Most common pump damage is not from sand either. Yes, sand can wear down a surface, but it's rocks, stones or hard objects that have to go through the grate, through the impeller and grind away at the pump walls to cause enough damage to warrant a rebuild of the pump. Otherwise, they have to give you some sort of indication of what they consider a rebuild. That being said, the pump walls do not usually get damaged without any indication of damage to the impeller. It's nearly impossible for something to blow past the impeller blades without damage.

So call BS on the pump rebuild without pics, and suggested cause.

Last edited:

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not an expert on these marine engines, however I am a Master Auto Tech. Typically higher rpm misfires/ under heavy load is due to a coil failure or spark not being hot enough under those conditions. Don’t think cavitation would be an issue once on plain.
They are telling us the impeller has exceeded the gap tolerance for the impeller clearance. Max tolerance is 6mm and we are measuring at 7mm. Boat has only been fresh water and we have never sucked anything into the pump.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This sounds more accurate than what they are recommending. Cavitation due to pump wear is a whole different issue, but that is not denying that there may be cavitation issues as well.

Anyone wondering why a pump rebuild is not covered by warranty has to understand, that it's not something that just fails, it's usually from abuse. I'm not pointing fingers, its just that the pump needs to pretty much get damaged, it is that durable. But any dealer than wants to charge you for it, should be showing you pictures of what the damage is, and what may have caused it. They don't just fail (except in the rarest of occasions)

Most common pump damage is not from sand either. Yes, sand can wear down a surface, but it's rocks, stones or hard objects that have to go through the grate, through the impeller and grind away at the pump walls to cause enough damage to warrant a rebuild of the pump. Otherwise, they have to give you some sort of indication of what they consider a rebuild. That being said, the pump walls do not usually get damaged without any indication of damage to the impeller. It's nearly impossible for something to blow past the impeller blades without damage.

So call BS on the pump rebuild without pics, and suggested cause.
This is what I am struggling with. We haven’t sucked anything up in the 2 months we owned it. The water we are in has some trash, but overall it’s fairly clean water. I just don’t understand how our pump can be this bad off with the conditions we have been driving in. Will definitely ask for pictures and suggested cause.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They are telling us the impeller has exceeded the gap tolerance for the impeller clearance. Max tolerance is 6mm and we are measuring at 7mm. Boat has only been fresh water and we have never sucked anything into the pump.
Unless they can show impact to the impeller or uneven wear, it came from the factory that way. It would take a lot of sand to burn 1mm off an impeller or pump liner and do it evenly. What they are saying is you have been sucking a ton of sand.

On occasion, cavitation can cause a burn on the impeller as well. Not sure how that works, so someone else would have to explain it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just heard back from dealer. They said the jet pump needs to be rebuilt due to cavitation issues. We have less than 20 hours on the boat. Anyone heard of this before? The mechanic said it is not an uncommon occurrence and they said it is not covered by warranty. Any thoughts, advice or other opinions.
20 hours and a rebuild on the pump? My hair would be on fire... that dealership needs to own their product.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20 hours and a rebuild on the pump? My hair would be on fire... that dealership needs to own their product.
Yes. I’m not a happy boater right now. They just quoted a price of $970. He said there is no damage to be seen so cavitation is the cause. He said it’s not typical for 19 hours, but can occur. He spoke to owner of dealership and the said Yamaha will cover it and the he needs to put pressure on them. Worse case we will have to fight Yamaha, but in the end it will be covered. So they say.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes. I’m not a happy boater right now. They just quoted a price of $970. He said there is no damage to be seen so cavitation is the cause. He said it’s not typical for 19 hours, but can occur. He spoke to owner of dealership and the said Yamaha will cover it and the he needs to put pressure on them. Worse case we will have to fight Yamaha, but in the end it will be covered. So they say.
That's good that the dealership is standing up for you. Otherwise I would suggest a line like "You know, I've had a lot of people comment on my boat on how much they like it - I'd hate to start telling people that Yamaha stuck me with a 1k non-warranty repair after 20 hours of use and (dealership name) wouldn't do anything about it. My Facebook is already blowing up with comments just having to deal with this issue!"

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This has been the biggest cluster. We ended up calling Yamaha and the gentleman we spoke to knew exactly what the problem was. They couldn’t tell us, but called the dealer and told them what to look for. Turns out the foam or sound cancelling insulation around the air filter box is causing an airflow issue. You have to remove this foam. We haven’t tested boat yet, but a guy with same boat posted the same thing in another board I’m on. Fingers crossed.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the boat out yesterday. Sure enough, problem solved. Back to full throttle and full RPM.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did they explain their mis-diagnosis of the pump needing a rebuild? Did they even share evidence of wear or clearance issues that would justify a pump rebuild?

I'm glad you got it squared away, but that would bother me a little bit. I think I would salvage my relationship with the dealer and skip it too, but a part of me would like to air that out in a light way to be sure they don't do that again.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did they explain their mis-diagnosis of the pump needing a rebuild? Did they even share evidence of wear or clearance issues that would justify a pump rebuild?

I'm glad you got it squared away, but that would bother me a little bit. I think I would salvage my relationship with the dealer and skip it too, but a part of me would like to air that out in a light way to be sure they don't do that again.
They still state the pump does show wear. But it sounds like it will be covered under warranty. The gap is only on 1 side, so it appears to be an install issue. They are filing the warranty claim and we will take it back once they have the parts in hand. The dealer is also covering the cost of the water test (as it should be) that they originally said we would have to pay for.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They still state the pump does show wear. But it sounds like it will be covered under warranty. The gap is only on 1 side, so it appears to be an install issue. They are filing the warranty claim and we will take it back once they have the parts in hand. The dealer is also covering the cost of the water test (as it should be) that they originally said we would have to pay for.
Sounds like a good dealer, they went to bat for you. One to keep a good relationship with for sure.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Have you seen this thread that I started? Easy to check and worth checking. :)

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This has been the biggest cluster. We ended up calling Yamaha and the gentleman we spoke to knew exactly what the problem was. They couldn’t tell us, but called the dealer and told them what to look for. Turns out the foam or sound cancelling insulation around the air filter box is causing an airflow issue. You have to remove this foam. We haven’t tested boat yet, but a guy with same boat posted the same thing in another board I’m on. Fingers crossed.
Do you have any pictures of what foam they removed/where they removed it from? I have the same boat and would like to just take care of this issue before is rears its ugly head.

BlueJet20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have any pictures of what foam they removed/where they removed it from? I have the same boat and would like to just take care of this issue before is rears its ugly head.
Blue arrow points to the air intake. Red arrow points to the foam that hangs over the air intake. They cut the foam away. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments