• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will 2021 boats be same color scheme and everything the same as 2020 or maybe the 242x will have new color schemes & Supercharged 275 boats engines?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The wife and I are considering a 2021 242x or potentially even a 2021 275 (if they make some improvements to the 275 that are needed (dedicated tow rope hook on back swim platform and not the silly hook on the handle it has now, or high tow point on tower, maybe a new design on side windows). I can’t imagine it will ever have ballast bags as an option as I think they consider it more of a cruiser style boat than a water sport boat. Seems crazy to me as many (myself included) would love the 27 length but would love to have the water sport options also. Maybe one day they will make a 275X model? I’ve heard the 275 supercharged engines are mich more gas hungry though for hardly much more of a top speed gain and that they are much louder when underway. So not sure the Supercharged engines are the smart way to go for the 242 line?

More than likely we would lean towards the 242x but would entertain the 275 if they change a few things on it that makes it more water sports capable. What I’m wondering is in 2021 if everything will be exactly the same as the 2020 models kind of like they did for 2018 and 2019. I’m hoping for a 242X with a color scheme in black/red or black/red/white something similar to the 275 color scheme now and also the color scheme of the 242x in 2019. Also wondering if 2021 could bring even bigger changes like the supercharged engines in the 275 brought down to the 242x and maybe 242SE? Or maybe the color changes and any other big changes won’t happen till

With all this corona virus stuff happening and their whole stock drying up around the country it might be an even easier decision to keep making the exact same boats for one more year. We are in no crazy rush and can wait a year or 2 for the right boat as our 2015SX210 still serves us great and still looks new as I spend 2 hours cleaning it after every weekend we take it out.

My daughter has become a good wake boarder and I could see her getting good at wake surfing also. I think having the ballast and wake options on the boat would be more fun for her to learn and get even better.

I might even consider a 2018 or 2019 Red/Black 242X used with low hours if I can ever find one. I always prefer new though as I have no clue how good of care the last person would have taken care of the boat.

Let me know your thoughts on what options they may come up with in 2021 or if you think everything will stay the same. Hope everyone has a great summer on the water!

Last edited:

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good questions. 2021 speculation has started! Yamaha tends to be really good about keeping things under wraps until the dealer meeting (virtual this year I assume?). I agree with your rationale that they don't really need to change anything to sell boats so they may not need to. It probably also depends on if/when/for how long their engineering and design teams were locked down and how well they could work remotely.

As for the 275, when it comes to wake surfing, the bigger the better. Since the 275 displaces more than the 242, it should be able to produce a larger wake. Would have to get creative with aftermarket ballast but people have been doing that for years. Tons of people surf AR240s and those don't come w/ factory ballast. That being said, lack of a tower tow point is a big negative for way boarding/surfing.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will say I am surprised that someone who works at Yamaha doesn't leak something out. It is impressive. Everything else on this planet leaks out onto the internet.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will say I am surprised that someone who works at Yamaha doesn't leak something out. It is impressive. Everything else on this planet leaks out onto the internet.
Agree I’m guessing employees sign something saying they will be fired. I called Yamaha and the person on the phone said he agreed that the 275 needs a better tow point and that they have had a lot of feedback on it. But said 3 times (as I kept asking if it was in the works) that he can’t comment on what’s coming for 2021. Fingers crossed for some great changes in the coming future.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wouldn’t hold my breath for changes on the 275, it’s a 2 year old design at this point. I think the 24’ hills are the oldest at this point, they’d be most likely to get a refresh. We’ll all know more end of August.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn't the beam Wider on the 275? Doesn't that cause issue's with trailering? I would look stupid trailering that monster behind my SUV, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try....... Kids don't need college, right? Could do it out of their college funds! :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@NewBoater I hear what your are saying, but everyone from our Politicians to people who work on movies and a lot of other companies have stuff leaked.... Microsoft, Apple etc. They all have non disclosures signed. And from all of them stuff hits the Internet like water through a jet pump. Yamaha is like a fortress keeping that info in, it is almost impressive.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@NewBoater I hear what your are saying, but everyone from our Politicians to people who work on movies and a lot of other companies have stuff leaked.... Microsoft, Apple etc. They all have non disclosures signed. And from all of them stuff hits the Internet like water through a jet pump. Yamaha is like a fortress keeping that info in, it is almost impressive.
There isn't a massive public demand of information from Yamaha like there is in your other examples.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've commented numerous times on how ugly the windshield display on that 275 is but I'd be a liar if I said I wouldn't jump on one in a heart beat. That aft lounge area with the new seats is impressive. Issue with the 9' beam for hauling though.... like no one has ever just overlooked that before! HA! I agree that most all employees have had to sign the NON Disclosure Agreements (NDA's) but you know as we as I do at some point in time, just like we see with all other corporations out there getting ready to pump new products in the market, that "Newly LEAKED" images and specs are a paid push.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well, in Apple's case the problem is that they outsource everything to the lowest bidder in corrupt nations. The leaks ALWAYS come from suppliers. Though to be fair they do have to disclose some things to the FCC in the case of phones. But if they brought things in house and/or paid people a decent wage they wouldn't leak. But their stock price is built on using slave labor and mgmt isn't willing to decrease their stock-based compensation to change that.

Tesla is an example of being able to keep secrets. I was following the CyberTruck launch carefully and not a single accurate image or statement was leaked. And there was massive public demand for that info.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Talked to a sales guy at a large dealership in suburban Milwaukee today and he expects to have some 2021's arriving in August. Based on the supply chain problems that Yamaha appears to be having I would be surprised if this happened. :-/

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@grywlfbg Every place has leaks regardless, in some way shape or form. Not sure there is really any way to stop it.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@grywlfbg Every place has leaks regardless, in some way shape or form. Not sure there is really any way to stop it.
I am a newbie here (been 20 years since I owned a boat, now getting the itch to pull the trigger next spring so hoping to learn a lot on here, which in a few days On here I already have).

But I’ve been an avid snowmobiler for years, and I can state from that experience the product leaks in powersports are VERY rare.....I think the groups inside these companies that need to know, must also know it won’t be hard to figure out who the leaker could be.

Also, the powersports media gets the information ahead of time (before the official releases), but at least in the snowmobile world they honor their embargo’s until go time.

It used to be fun on the snowmobile forums years ago as someone WOULD leak pictures or info ahead of time....now if it is even attempted the moderators take it down right away.

Does anyone know Yamaha’s official 2021 launch date?

Since used boats are now both non-existent and have skyrocketed in price, I may end up buying new anyways so I am interested as well to see what 2021 has in store.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Enduro900 Rumors and other members have heard between the first of August till the end of August.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aug 18... 24ft FSH different trims... I've heard the 24ft is done and will be a 25fter now..

Idk anything else.

I have things I would like to see.

27ft Fsh
27x series for water sports
Swim seats on all 21+ ft boats.
Drove system on all 21+ E series boats

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
24 ft. FSH with Twin 1.8's and double up or more on the gas tank to 100 gallons or more and you have a long range off shore Fishing boat. Could see that flying out the door. Would be awesome

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
24 ft. FSH with Twin 1.8's and double up or more on the gas tank to 100 gallons or more and you have a long range off shore Fishing boat. Could see that flying out the door. Would be awesome
the dealer from NO power aports who sells yamaha and "the other brand" says its coming with different trim levels.. he seemed pretty confident.

I will have to look hard at it when it does come out.