• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Windshield Separated / spread apart

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Had same thing happen to my windshield. As stated earlier - it's an issue due to the clamps and the way they hold the windshields to the top deck. There is a pc of metal that the clamp "slides" on to and that aligns the windshield on my 255 - problem is that the windshield can slide somewhat to the left on the driver side and the right on the passenger side. Don't let anyone ever tell you that boats don't flex.. They all do.. So when you hit a wake or a wave and you land pretty hard and press down in the water - the sides of the boat flex inwards until the boat goes back on plane on it's belly where it is supposed to ride.. the flexing can catch the windshield lip at the right time and cause the the movable windshield door to fall down or inwards towards the floor and then the boat flexes back - sometimes catching the windshield in the middle.

All boats flex if a big enough wave is hit - it's a matter of Scarab finding a solution where the windshield can stay in place better. The combo of constant hitting wakes that can rattle/vibrate the windshield out of the alignment tab - couple with a couple big wakes or waves will eventually move a windshield. Other boats, when this happens tend to have broken glass/windshields. I had mine adjusted at the dealer under warranty - and I tend to ride with the windshield open now strapped down.
Mine's a Yamaha, so I'm not sure we have the same design but the cause is likely the same - boat flexing, pulling the two sides apart enough for the windshield to drop. I was able to fix it myself and I have a plan to reinforce it so that it can't happen again. I was really happy to have no broken glass and that the issue was repairable. It's not as pretty as it was, so I might replace the frame when I have $200 to blow. In the meantime, I keep it tied back, too. Except when towing with the cover on.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other boats, when this happens tend to have broken glass/windshields.
The only one we know of here that actually broke glass was a Chaparral.
In Yamahas the center panel can cave in, bending the lip. As far as I know the only remedy is center panel replacement, the part is ~$200? and it is an easy DIY install.
I also ride with the windshield open and strapped in rough water!

--

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only one we know of here that actually broke glass was a Chaparral.
In Yamahas the center panel can cave in, bending the lip. As far as I know the only remedy is center panel replacement, the part is ~$200? and it is an easy DIY install.
I also ride with the windshield open and strapped in rough water!

--
@swatski did you actually replace yours? If so, did the $200 part include the glass? Because I had difficulty telling from the online diagram. Too bad you can't just order the one side of the frame.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski did you actually replace yours? If so, did the $200 part include the glass? Because I had difficulty telling from the online diagram. Too bad you can't just order the one side of the frame.
Yes I ordered the center part with glass from Babbitt’s. It was easy to install. The only problem was they had to ship it I think three times as the part was getting damaged in shipment due to bad packaging, the first two I received came with smashed corners. Customer service took care of everything. I will try to find my invoice and post.

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes I ordered the center part with glass from Babbitt’s. It was easy to install. The only problem was they had to ship it I think three times as the part was getting damaged in shipment due to bad packaging, the first two I received came with smashed corners. Customer service took care of everything. I will try to find my invoice and post.

I've found the part for the same price from multiple vendors. Guess I shouldn't order from Babbitt's!