• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterize?

ScottyOK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
People around here starting to ask me my plans for the winter. Last winter here in TX we only saw a couple nights with temps just below 32.
I'm kinda confused as to where the water is coming from when I start the engines on the trailer and water gets blown out, isn't it a closed system with anti freeze?
If I do just that and blow out that water would that suffice for winterizing?
Thanks for the advice.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was at my dealer yesterday and he mentioned winterizing. We don't get real cold here in southern Alabama, either. But, he mentioned if I wanted to winterize, take the following step:

Take an air compressor, set it to 14 psi (if you don't have a regulator, you could probably get one at a hardware store), hook it up to the water hose connector on the engine and blow out the remaining water. That's it.

I think I've finally found a dealer that knows something about these boats. I learned more in 10 minutes of talking to him than I've learned in 3 months of ownership. I had no idea that there was a water hose connector. I've said it before, I'll say it again, "This owner's manual is GARBAGE!!!!!"

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Please check this post out from last year from @ScarabMike
https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-chaparral-glastron-rotax-winter-prep.5978/

I still have some questions,

I'm up north, manual says to change antifreeze every 2 years. Seems obsessive. Do we really need to?

What about jet pump lubrication? Do we need to do anything in this regard? If so, what and how?

In the video, the tech flushes the exhaust with antifreeze. Last year I only did the compressed air blow through and ran / revved my engines for 20 sec or so. The air got some water. The revving got more.

Edit- Here is another video I found useful. This guy has some good videos to check out.

Last edited:

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The Rotax powerpack requires very low winterization process.
Start the boat on a trailer & rev the engine a few times to blow residual water that may be trapped in muffler. Everything else pretty much empty itself by gravity.
Blowing air through through the flushing port is a good practice, especially for the Rotax 200 engine as some water may get trapped in the intercooler located in the intake plenum.
Then pretty much start looking at the calendar for boating season to resume ;-)

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just did my first winter service on the Chap. I blew out the water thru the flush connector. The book says to do it 100 psi so that's what I set my compressor for. The only thing that has me worried is I got some water out but could hear some gurgling still. Ran air thru it for a couple of minutes and did not get any water but still had a gurgle coming from somewhere. Don't know if that will be fine or if I should try and run the engine and see if anything else comes out.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
There will always have some water remaining in the muffler, but if you have blown air through the cooling system, and started the engine on the trailer & blip the throttle a couple of times. Then you should be fine.
The remaining water will have sufficient space to expend.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I just did my first winter service on the Chap. I blew out the water thru the flush connector. The book says to do it 100 psi so that's what I set my compressor for. The only thing that has me worried is I got some water out but could hear some gurgling still. Ran air thru it for a couple of minutes and did not get any water but still had a gurgle coming from somewhere. Don't know if that will be fine or if I should try and run the engine and see if anything else comes out.
Yes, run the engines for 20 seconds or so, while on trailer. Rev them up and down. You will blow out additional water.

Brian Summers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I did my first winterizing job this year. I flushed anti-freeze through the flushing port with about 4 gallons till I had a steady flow coming out. I used a 5 gallon bucket and a sump pump. Is using air better?

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info on winterizing.. but where is the flushing port?

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
You should see it just above the jet behind the boat. Upper left you should see a port with female threads.
Many thanks.. found it. Am i correct that there is only one on the left hand engine? (sorry but where i have it parked at the moment i cant access the right engine)

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
For a twin engine boat, you'll have 2 of these flush ports. 1 / engine. Both ports are on the port side of the each jet nozzle.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks Bob..this forum is great.. !
Perhaps you know the answer to another question?
i want to put a trickle charger on the batteries.. I have managed to get the battery cover off the starboard engine without problem... but the port port battery seems to be in a more restricted position and i cant get the cover off... despite removing the air filter.. Any tips?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Wonder if your cover is different from mine. I have a 2015 and you 2016. I have a couple threaded plastic rods I just unscrew to remove my hold down bracket. I agree, once getting the bracket off, getting the port battery out is a pain. I didn't remove the air filter. I just pulled the battery and let it move the filter on its own. Removing the filter would be better. But I don't think I damaged it at all. Don't think I helped answer your question either. Sorry

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
thanks for your thoughts Bob. At the moment i am only trying to get some alligator clips on to the battery to trickle charge it. There is only a hard plastic splash cover over the top of mine with a strap over the top to hold it down, once the strap is removed the starboard battery cover can be easily removed.. the other one can be moved but not enough to get it off.. Will keep it at !

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks to the various replies and prior posts i feel reasonably confident that i have winterized .. Removed the batteries, blew out the water from the exhaust system with short bursts from the engines, and blew out residual with air compressor attached to the flushing port. Not entirely convinced my compressor was strong enough to clear it completely as some gurgling still there but someone mentioned that this is not an issue as it has space to expand.
My only doubt is the anti freeze in the engine cooling system. I am in a pretty cold area .. can get to minus 15centigrade or 5degrees Fahrenheit.... Does anyone know the spec of the factory installed anti-freeze?

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks to the various replies and prior posts i feel reasonably confident that i have winterized .. Removed the batteries, blew out the water from the exhaust system with short bursts from the engines, and blew out residual with air compressor attached to the flushing port. Not entirely convinced my compressor was strong enough to clear it completely as some gurgling still there but someone mentioned that this is not an issue as it has space to expand.
My only doubt is the anti freeze in the engine cooling system. I am in a pretty cold area .. can get to minus 15centigrade or 5degrees Fahrenheit.... Does anyone know the spec of the factory installed anti-freeze?
The dealer advised me to use the GM Dex-cool antifreeze.... i believe it is orange in color.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for your input. Will see what i can find.