• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing 2006 Sugar Sands 240 Merc/Jet drive (how to?)

Jim O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Hello boater friends! I have an 06 Sugar Sands that we purchased last spring. We have always owned regular ski boats with I/O Merc V8's that I took in for winterizing at my dealer. So this boat is a little different. Does it require normal winterizing like any other boat? It has a 2 stroke V6 Merc,, and I have never owned one of these before. And of course it has the jet drive. I have not called a local boat dealer yet to set up a winterizing appointment,, but I anticipate they may run the other way when I tell them what kind of boat this is. Can I please get some feedback or tips on winterizing this type of vessel. I live in central Iowa and we get some bitter cold winters. My e-mail is noslo2112@gmail.com Thanks!!

Not much to it, engine is self draining so just stabilize the fuel, fog the cylinders and change the lube in the pump. Note, the pump has 2 places that need to be drained and filled, the one in front of the impeller is the easy one, the oil in the stator is best done by removing it. not hard just a little more time consuming than the front. Takes just under a qt. for each. Here's a link to some info, makes it look a lot more involved than it really is but might be helpful https://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/sjannualservicev1.1_190.pdf

Thanks Bilmon! I appreciate this info very much!

Hi Jim! This is very helpful for me as I work to get my 2005 sugar sand ready for the winter!
I’m wondering if my boat has the same type of lube pump… is it a serious problem if you don’t get to execute this fully??

Hi Jim! This is very helpful for me as I work to get my 2005 sugar sand ready for the winter!
I’m wondering if my boat has the same type of lube pump… is it a serious problem if you don’t get to execute this fully??

If you have the Merc SportJet that most Sugar Sand units used, then yes. Sugar Sand was known to use the 240 EFI and 250 Optimax mostly. Some of the older/smaller units may have had the 200 or 180, but similar SportJet pumps and service procedures.

also recommend changing the water/oil separator filter, as well as the fuel filter. Also for the stator oil, I’ll be using a vacuum pump instead of removing the assembly. it won’t get 100 percent out but I think doing it yearly will get a great percentage out. After fogging, the engine make sure to change out plugs after first run next year. As others said heavy dose of stabil

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the info. I don’t know much at all.. it is a 2005 sugar sand, sun and sport! So I need to change the two lube filters, change the water/oil separators and fuel filter…?
What are the issues you will see if these aren’t done well? Slow starting after winter??
Thanks again

Thank you very much for the info. I don’t know much at all.. it is a 2005 sugar sand, sun and sport! So I need to change the two lube filters, change the water/oil separators and fuel filter…?
What are the issues you will see if these aren’t done well? Slow starting after winter??
Thanks again
The stator oil is one of the two lubes in the pump region. From what I have heard is you want to be sure that is changed to be sure water has not gotten in there. Stator damage could be quite expensive. Water in any oil or lube is bad, but that is one I have heard damage reports from the sportjet owners.

Thank you so much

Great info regarding oil change and winterizing. I Just bought a 2003 Sea Doo Speedster with the same Mercury 240 EFI jet drive.

What a rocket of a little boat!

It has a spring loaded intake grate and several of the springs are already broken and I'm fearful the remaining ones may damage the drive if they break loose. Any thoughts about replacing that with a fixed grate?

Great info regarding oil change and winterizing. I Just bought a 2003 Sea Doo Speedster with the same Mercury 240 EFI jet drive.

What a rocket of a little boat!

It has a spring loaded intake grate and several of the springs are already broken and I'm fearful the remaining ones may damage the drive if they break loose. Any thoughts about replacing that with a fixed grate?

Very much so, get rid of the SeaDoo Hydro Surge grate. As you know where those tines go when they break off? Right through your pump!

I replaced mine with the "rock grate" they called it. You used to be able to buy a cast iron one and a stainless one. Tough to find these days.

Very much so, get rid of the SeaDoo Hydro Surge grate. As you know where those tines go when they break off? Right through your pump!

I replaced mine with the "rock grate" they called it. You used to be able to buy a cast iron one and a stainless one. Tough to find these days.
Thanks much....that makes great sense! I've seen talk about a rock grate and will do some hunting.

Back