• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Please read the Classified Ads Posting Rules before Posting something for Sale!

Boats MUST LIST A LOCATION (State)IN THE TITLE (Seems people can't read lately)-along with Make/Model/Year

Wondering what to ask for my 242 LS

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mine is a 2013 and I paid 55600 plus accessories and tax and tags. All together it adds up to 60k.

I disagree about not considering taxes as part of the value. I think all costs should be considered in a negotiation.

I would at least want to break even on my loan.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine is a 2013 and I paid 55600 plus accessories and tax and tags. All together it adds up to 60k.

I disagree about not considering taxes as part of the value. I think all costs should be considered in a negotiation.

Common misinterpretation , you lost the tax the day you bought the boat.
Your boat like any vehicle took a hit when you drove it off the lot.

Unfortunately, no one gets to pass taxes and fees off to the next owner..
The next owner will need to pay them when they go register there boat in their home state. (Depending on local rules etc)
Either way your local market, or those wiling to drive there, will tell you what it's worth... Not your heart. ...

If you got $41-43k that would be fair for both parties and fortunate for you.

Edit- sorry I thought this was OP comment (2012)

2013- 242 LS. $45-48 k

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Fortunately I don't make financial decisions with my heart. And I'm well aware of the law of supply and demand.

Fortunately I'm not selling my boat. When I make big purchases I do a ton of due diligence and make sure that I won't change my mind in a short period of time so that I purchase the right product at the right price.

Dilla Killa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

You and I are "in the same boat" on this. I paid what you paid. Add tax, plus extended warranty and the purchase price is over 60k.

I also agree with your thinking that breaking even (loan-wise) should be the goal, although that appears to be an unachievable goal.

I won't be selling it for $42k. I'd rather keep it than take that kind of loss. The boat payment is the least expensive of the boating proposition. It's the 2 covered slips that cost so much. So, pulling the boat out of the marina actually satisfies the financial aspect. However, I know me, and based on past experience, putting the boat in storage and launching it everytime I want to go out, ultimately ends in the boat not getting used at all.

First world problems are a bitch.

DK

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You and I are "in the same boat" on this. I paid what you paid. Add tax, plus extended warranty and the purchase price is over 60k.

I also agree with your thinking that breaking even (loan-wise) should be the goal, although that appears to be an unachievable goal.

I won't be selling it for $42k. I'd rather keep it than take that kind of loss. The boat payment is the least expensive of the boating proposition. It's the 2 covered slips that cost so much. So, pulling the boat out of the marina actually satisfies the financial aspect. However, I know me, and based on past experience, putting the boat in storage and launching it everytime I want to go out, ultimately ends in the boat not getting used at all.

First world problems are a bitch.

DK
If you are the entrepreneurial type, there is an app call "Get My Boat" that is similar to the individual real estate rental sites. You can create a presence on there and people can reserve a rental spot on your boat. I dont know much more about it than that.

http://getmyboat.com/

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The time of year you sell and the market you sell in plays a huge roll. Lashburn sold at the end of the season I think. So he's going to get the least interest and probably could have gotten much more if he waited till spring.

Start high now. Go down as needed. The best part of these boats is that they're rarely for sale. Sell at this time of year and you might get your asking price. 46k for a mint boat is reasonable when you're the only show in town for sale. People spend a couple thousand in shipping these boats! Wait till mid summer or later and your price will have to be very attractive. 41k would be extremely low. I've seen same year AR240s in mint sell for more much than that. The 242 LS is usually in more demand.

As far as taxes go... They're a total loss. You can't factor that into the sale since the buyer has to pay taxes when he purchases it too! Expensive mods you can add roughly half the cost of the mod but only with the right buyer. Not everyone has the same taste and some might even consider it a negative.

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would agree with lashburn1. The area does drive price but for a two year old boat I would think you could get between $40K and maybe $44K give or take. The problem is that a new boat will have better financing that the used boat price has to offset. It always sucks when you have to sell when the boat is still so new. Let us know what happens?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't know about your boat but had a friend of friend graduate from Dental school in TX about 15 years ago, He went to work in NM for two years to help the poor and State of NM paid off his loans. Plus he was able to get a base of business and has an office near Taos now.
I know the Navy offers insane benefits (loan repayment) and bonuses for MD, Dentists and Lawyers. That is always a solid route to go.