• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Please read the Classified Ads Posting Rules before Posting something for Sale!

Boats MUST LIST A LOCATION (State)IN THE TITLE (Seems people can't read lately)-along with Make/Model/Year

Wondering what to ask for my 242 LS

Dilla Killa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Kid about to start college.

1) I cannot believe how much it costs to send a kid through dental school. WTF?

2) 2012 242 LS. 35 hours. Immaculate. All service documented. Trailer, battery tenders. I also have a hydrohoist boat lift that will be for sale.

Just wondering what the price range is. I know I won't get what I owe, but need to know how much lube to buy.

DK

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know about your boat but had a friend of friend graduate from Dental school in TX about 15 years ago, He went to work in NM for two years to help the poor and State of NM paid off his loans. Plus he was able to get a base of business and has an office near Taos now.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah man, if your kid works for certain departments, those loans will be forgiven. Also student loans are available, he will be making enough after he gets a job to pay them off quickly and still have enough leftover to live very comfortable. But if this is something you want to do then you better get a boat "on him' in a couple years.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kid about to start college.

1) I cannot believe how much it costs to send a kid through dental school. WTF?

2) 2012 242 LS. 35 hours. Immaculate. All service documented. Trailer, battery tenders. I also have a hydrohoist boat lift that will be for sale.

Just wondering what the price range is. I know I won't get what I owe, but need to know how much lube to buy.

DK
Assuming you are going to sell it, whereabouts are you located (in case someone perusing this thread is in the market...)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, location and whether or not the tower folds were my questions.

Dilla Killa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, location and whether or not the tower folds were my questions.
Yes, tower folds.

Boat is black, BTW. Tower is aluminum.

Dallas, TX area.

DK

Dilla Killa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know about your boat but had a friend of friend graduate from Dental school in TX about 15 years ago, He went to work in NM for two years to help the poor and State of NM paid off his loans. Plus he was able to get a base of business and has an office near Taos now.
That's a great idea. I will keep that in mind and float that suggestion to her. This is probably a discussion for a different forum, but I am mulling over hiring a CEP to help me navigate this process. If you have any suggestions along those lines, I'd appreciate it.

I met with one this past weekend. Supposedly they easily offset their cost ($5k) by getting you scholarships that you would likely miss doing it yourself. Still a bit iffy about pulling the trigger on that.

DK

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most reccommend looking up the book book value and starting there. Any mods done to it that would increase its value or is she stock? How many hours? Any issues like gel coat scratches or gouges, tears in seats etc?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
That's a great idea. I will keep that in mind and float that suggestion to her. This is probably a discussion for a different forum, but I am mulling over hiring a CEP to help me navigate this process. If you have any suggestions along those lines, I'd appreciate it.

I met with one this past weekend. Supposedly they easily offset their cost ($5k) by getting you scholarships that you would likely miss doing it yourself. Still a bit iffy about pulling the trigger on that.

DK
When it comes to public service employment and student loan forgiveness, be sure to check out the 2015 budget. Pres Obama changes a bunch of stuff around that makes it less enticing. Just as an FYI. It would be capped at 57k after 10 years, if this budget passes.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That boat probably is only worth about 15k now. I will write you a check and be by in the morning to pick it up! :cool:

Dilla Killa

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most reccommend looking up the book book value and starting there. Any mods done to it that would increase its value or is she stock? How many hours? Any issues like gel coat scratches or gouges, tears in seats etc?
Understood, but the book value swings $10k (41k - 51k). So, getting the "going rate" was what my original post was for. If I were to price it myself, knowing how well it has been cared for, I would say the higher end of that value.

Mods are: battery tenders. ThrottleSync. Xxtreme bilge heater. So, mostly bone stock. That's by design. My experience is that mods (cars and boats) tend to decrease value, not increase it since mods are usually a matter of individual taste.

35+- hours.

No scratches, gouges or tears. My OEM radio face plate is cracked. Still puzzled how that happened. Works as it should, however. Trailer has a stripped lug post where the dealer cross threaded a lug nut. Kept on a lift in a covered slip its entire existence. Waxed twice per year. Hot Sauce after each outing. Conditioning Sauce on seats once per month during boating season. 100 hour maint. performed at the end of both seasons I have owned it (2012, 2013). 3 years remaining on 5 year YES warranty, which has not been used at all. Not sure if the extended warranty is transferable or not.

I was planning to keep it another year. That said, I wouldn't say "no" to a good home this year.

DK

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DK
Not sure I would pay $5k just to learn about scholarships. When I was an Internet Marketer I used to sell an Ebook online for about $25 that listed hundreds of scholarships, grants and other money for college students--lots of strange scholarship available that nobody ever applies for. I think most of that information is available now for free if you do a bit of online research--a good project for your daughter.:)

There is a Blue Book for boats I would start with--online for free. Then I would check the local Craigslist and Boattrader, iBoats and others for comparison.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That boat probably is only worth about 15k now. I will write you a check and be by in the morning to pick it up! :cool:
No....you are under pricing it!!....I would go 17.5k...lol

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Setting the price is always hard. Different places have different fair market values. I know your boat has low hours but it is also two years old. In your area what does a new 242LS go for what are the dealers asking for a used 242LS? Knowing the market is a must because you have to provide value to a buyer to get him to purchase your boat. You don't want to be too close to a new price since a buyer can just pay a little more and probably get a better rate for a new boat. Depending on how fast you need to let it go will also factor in on the asking price. If you have time and since the season is starting you could start higher and see what responses you get. The speed of the sale is directly related to the price. Good luck! I hate that you have to lose your best toy!

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The good news is that you are attempting to sell at the right time of year. Yamaha's hold their value well and people are willing to travel to get them or have them shipped. However, I think if you get up towards $50k, most of those buyers just assume buy new, possibly get an extended warranty, promotional financing, pick their own color, etc. I would look on Boattrader.com to see what people are asking and price yours as aggressively as you want to sell it. If you need to unload it in a hurry, go low. If you can wait it out, start a little higher. Best of luck.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@lashburn1 sold his for $47K (2013) I think...

I have seen them for sale between $46 and $51K. I would set the price at what you owe on it (Im guessing around $46K) and see what happens.

Here are bunch for sale on boat trader. http://www.boattrader.com/browse/make/yamaha/242-limited-s/SortBy-year.asc/Page-1

Yup I sold my 2013 in 2013 for $44.5k
Plus a YES warranty at my cost. $1800?

Only one person called to look.... The entire Time the ad ran ...

I felt lucky it sold at all... Lol

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That sucks. That would be a 15k depreciation hit for me. No way would I sell for that low.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That sucks. That would be a 15k depreciation hit for me. No way would I sell for that low.
Umm? $15k ? What did you pay for it in 2012?
I paid $49,500.00 in May of 2013 242LS
+ taxes and fee that are NOT part of the value of the boat

I'm assuming in 2012 you paid less, as you should have.

The least you would expect to get for you boat is $39k .. And for you year that should only be $9k max.

Explain if I did not catch something