• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Worst nightmare came true today

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was at the boat ramp today with my 6 year old in the truck. When I disconnected the boat from the trailer the wind blew my boat out to sea. I ran down the dock and jumped onto the bow of the boat before it got too far away leaving my daughter alone at the ramp. After getting the boat started I was able to drive back to the dock and get my kid. It all turned out well with a lot of good fishing for the day but it started out stressful.

Griswold

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was at the boat ramp today with my 6 year old in the truck. When I disconnected the boat from the trailer the wind blew my boat out to sea. I ran down the dock and jumped onto the bow of the boat before it got too far away leaving my daughter alone at the ramp. After getting the boat started I was able to drive back to the dock and get my kid. It all turned out well with a lot of good fishing for the day but it started out stressful.
Glad the boat and your fam came out unscathed. That said please tell me there’s video of this? :)

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Holy Crap that had to be scary as hell! I hope you have turned it into learning lesson and will overcome this near disaster. How did the 6 yr old respond?

Might want to consider tying up to the dock first and then disconnecting from the trailer if the wind and current are that bad.
Just thankful it didn't turn out worse....:nailbiting:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet it won't happen to you ever again! Glad you and your child were unscathed.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are lessons we all learn, always better from someone else experience! See, I would never do such a thing :p , lolol.
Thanks for sharing!

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it was scary Hopefully your daughter had a life jacket on. I almost drown the same age during something similar. We used to make the kids put on their life jackets when we got out of the truck. They are grown now. At the end of the day it's just a boat....just a message for others. Not important at all in the grand scheme of things. Don't mean to sound like my dad!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you and your daughter are safe. I had a similar thing happen to me last year .. without my daughter though. I let the boat off the ramp and the rear got away from me due to strong current push, I stupidly jumped in the boat to save it from hitting nearby rocks and broke my ankle. 1/1/2019... ah the memories . I learned that would never happen again.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others... at least everyone is safe.

Then, as we would say in the industry, to the AAR: what would you have done differently? Look, crap happens, right? Some day, there will be someone who faces the same situation. What will they learn from you? Life jacket on the kid before near the water. Yes. What else would have helped you to think about before the whole incident? A line somewhere? Or something else? Educate us.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad it all worked out. I’m sure my first reaction would be to get the boat as I yelled to my daughter not to move.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can see that happening, and have.. Since as my handle implies, I frequently have grandchildren aboard, my thought was when I read your post was " What if your daughter was in the boat" Then your heart really would have been pounding !

I think everyone that read your post thought the same thing; " That could happen to me"

Glad everyone is ok , thanks for sharing that story.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well that is not useful, go down there some night and add cleats as needed. ;)
:)

Agreed. I've been tempted to do this in a few spots we like to tie up. In some cases it's lack of cleats, in some cases its the condition of the existing ones. I've often thought to myself "Who's really going to come over and give me trouble as long as I do it properly?" ;)

As far as boating with Little Ones goes, some advice from the guy with 4. (They are all old enough to handle themselves now but we've been boating since the eldest was 8 years old.)

1) Life Jackets, Life Jackets, Life Jackets, Life Jackets. This is done while parked to the side setting up the boat. The oldest is 20 now and we still insist on this. I put mine on too. You never know.
2) During the entire launch phase, make sure they are away from the operation in a safe place. (Really, this should be true for any guests.) When they are particularly young, this does mean having other adult help along.
3) Do not allow kids in the boat or vehicle during the launch phase. I once re-entered my truck to pull it out of the water only to find that the transmission had been left in reverse with my daughter strapped in a car-seat in the back. My entire world was saved by the fact that I am anal about maintaining and adjusting the parking brake on my vehicles. I think the chill from that one finally left my spine about a year ago.
4) Maintain and adjust the parking brake on your vehicles. (See #3)
5) Bring along adult help when they are little. Not just for launch and recovery, but for the ride. There are other things that could go wrong that might demand your undivided attention. What happens to the Little One then?
6) Have a PLAN. There's a line in "The Hunt for Red October" where Admiral Thompson reminds Jack Ryan that "The Russians don't take a dump without having a plan." I tend to be that way naturally, but it's extra important when you've got kids along. Have the answer to "How will I handle x, y, or z happening?" in mind ahead of time.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your #3 is now attempting to chill my spine.
Agree completely. We always have the kids in the boat with me or waiting at the dock with life jackets on when my wife backs the boat down.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was not a worst nightmare @Marvin willis. That was a worst nightmare averted. Nice work Marvin.