• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Worth Uprading to 24'

VAMDE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys... wanted to get some thoughts on upgrading from a 21' to the 24' boat. I've got a '14 AR210 with a little over 100 hours on it. Perfect shape and has been a great boat. The only time the 21' footer feels small is when we try to take 2 other couples out with us, but that is not a very common occurrence. Usually it is me solo, me and a couple of friends, or me and my 3 girls. (I'm that order).

Been thinking about upgrades like seadek, plumbing in ballast, wake wedge, etc, and trying to decide if I should do all that, or upgrade to the 24' first.

Any thoughts from folks that have upgraded to the bigger boat would be appreciated.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have the 212x and love it. That being said...because we changed out all our ballast and pumps, i may have gone with a 24 ft ar210 if we did it over. If it's not common to have increased guests on the boat, I'd say stay with what you have. Ours is paid off so getting a bigger boat and forking out more money doesn't make sense to me.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The main difference between the 21 and 24' is in the bow. Our 24 can easily fit 4 in the bow, but the cockpit area is basically the same. I don't believe the jump from a 21-24 is as noticeable as the jump from a 19-21.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Do the 24s ride smoother? That would be the biggest reason for me.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well being bigger, it's def going to cut through the wakes better than a 21' boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have zero regrets about my AR240... I felt like if had gone with the smaller boat I would have spent 5 years wanting a 24' and waiting to upgrade. I added after market ballast from WakeMakers and a Hydrophase Ridesteady (GPS speed control)... Still need the wake wedge... but I almost feel like I'm driving around in an E-series... almost. We frequently have 5-7 people on board and quite often throw in 3 sometimes 4 paddle boards down the center of the boat (something we never anticipated doing). Don't love walking over the paddle boards, but they're fun to have out on the lake and doubt some of the boards would fit as comfortably in a smaller boat.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the freeboard on the 24 but I live close to the gulf so wanted to keep that option open

VAMDE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The smoother ride is really what I was thinking about. On the weekends the lake can get pretty choppy, and being able to cut through it sounds awesome.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@VAMDE , where are you located ? I have a 2016 AR240 sitting in wetslip on Lake Cumberland (Jamestown, Ky.) that I would be happen to let you take out for a spin before making that big decision ??

VAMDE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@VAMDE , where are you located ? I have a 2016 AR240 sitting in wetslip on Lake Cumberland (Jamestown, Ky.) that I would be happen to let you take out for a spin before making that big decision ??
In VA. Thanks for the offer. There is a dealer where I'm at that I'm sure will let me water test.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This reminds me of the old saying. . . . Buy your second boat first.

If you can swing the upgrade financially without issue you will not be disappointed IMHO.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This reminds me of the old saying. . . . Buy your second boat first.

If you can swing the upgrade financially without issue you will not be disappointed IMHO.
Exactly!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Dave burke You gave me a dislike on my opinion?? Huh??

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The smoother ride is really what I was thinking about. On the weekends the lake can get pretty choppy, and being able to cut through it sounds awesome.
I've not been on a 21' Yamaha in the rough but I've been on some rough water in my boat and could keep up with my parents I/O just fine.
I know jetboatpilot.com is getting close on Yamaha specific trim tabs. Those would do more for your ride than anything... though I have concerns about how they'd potentially interfere with a wake wedge...

Last edited:

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cam from an 2001 19.5 Glastron and had my sights set on an AR240 and was all set to make the purchase. My dealer offered some test drives and I ended up with the 212 Limited S. I personally felt disconnected from the water in the AR240. The 212 was plenty big enough for the 6 people I usually have and still gave me the connected to the water feel. Everyone has different tastes in boating but the a question you have to ask yourself IMHO is How many times am I really going to have a large amount of guests on my boat?. I asked myself the same question when I bought an RV and it narrowed my selection down.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Dave burke Must have been a inadvertent dislike. Scroll above for my post and you will see your dislike on my post.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw it and removed it (I think). Sorry... at least I know how to do it now!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well being bigger, it's def going to cut through the wakes better than a 21' boat.
I just noticed your tower is grey, my ar240 is a 2016 also with the same color and grafix but with a white tower. didnt realize they made a grey tower. Looks nice!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ford ETIS lists my truck with a few incorrect items as well, but most of it is correct.

Lists my truck as a double cab, it's a crew cab.....